Can anyone give me good advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

laser3

I am just starting out in fishing and i was woundering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction as to what rod to go for as i have not got a clue' its a mine field out there.

I live in n.e. northants and the river nene is not far from me so thats where i will be doing most fishing not unless i venture onto one of the private lakes. anyway i have a budget of 100 for a rod,i have already got a reel( shimano stradic xGTM 4000 )present from girlfriend.any advice given would be a great help to me.

m.turton

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Lazer

Welcome to the mad house

try checking out this site mate http://www.wmac.co.uk

Its the west midlands angling center in brummie land, they have an excellent selection of rods n stuff.

If you look through the site you will find complete set ups for less than 100 all you've gotta do is decide what kind of fishing you want to do .

I would suggest that you buy a float set up to start with & don't worry cos i've landed 22lb carp on a float rod icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps you out a bit

Alan
insomnia is nothing to lose sleep over

Edited by - Trogg on 18 November 2001 5:10:03 PM

Terri

Hi Lazer, looks like Alan beat me to it but I was looking for the rods that I use on the Diawa site. I've found the float rod but couldnt find the tip rod but another one similar.

Check these out

Diawa 13 foot Vulcan waggler rod about 54.99
http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/disciplines/coarse/catalogue/matchrods/vxm_frame.htm

Diawa 12 foot multi tip Sensor Z quivertip rod about 49.99
http://www.daiwasports.co.uk/disciplines/coarse/catalogue/legerrods/szl_frame.htm

You can get two for the 100 which coupled with your reel would cover most situations on the Nene. As Alan said tho shop around as there are some great bargains to be had.

Oh and by the way, HELLO, Terri icon_smile_big.gif

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
quote:
I am just starting out in fishing and i was woundering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction as to what rod to go for as i have not got a clue' its a mine field out there.

I live in n.e. northants and the river nene is not far from me so thats where i will be doing most fishing not unless i venture onto one of the private lakes. anyway i have a budget of 100 for a rod,i have already got a reel( shimano stradic xGTM 4000 )present from girlfriend.any advice given would be a great help to me.

m.turton

Stu

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Lazer, welcome to the forum,

The best advice I can give you get as much as you can for your money but make sure it is up to the job.
There is no need to rush out and buy one of everything as you will find that more than likely you will not need half of it.
Look at the style of fishing that you will be doing. The Nene (correct me if I'm wrong anyone icon_smile.gif) is pretty much a steady flowing river, deep and wide in most places and contains mainly Roach, Bream and Skimmers.
The type of rod/rods that you'll need are a reasonably firm float rod with a tip action and capable of handling lines up to 3lb BS. Because of the depths involved, ideally around 13-14 ft.
A 'tip rod for legering will be almost an essential as well, giving you the option of fishing a static bait on the bottom, especially now that winter is on it's way. A 'tip rod with several quivertips will cover most conditions.
For that something in the region of 10-12ft with a line capability of 3-5lb. This will prove to be a bit of an allrounder should you venture onto one of the lakes.
As Terri said, rather than spend your money on the one rod, buy two. There are some fantastic deals around, the Vulcan Waggler Rod (not a bad choice Terri icon_smile.gif) is available at WMAC for 39.99 already a saving.
Take your time when buying as well and don't feel rushed into buying something that you don't feel comfortable with. A 'well suited' float rod is one that when holding it in the reel position, you can just tuck the butt into your armpit. Waggle it around, if it feels sloppy or too heavy put it back and try another.
The same goes for the 'tip rod but this time you are looking for balance as well. If the rod is in the rest and a suprise bite comes along, you want to be able to pick the rod up and strike in a nice smooth action, not feel that it is tip heavy and that the tip is dragging itself off the ground before responding.
By all means, search the on-line stores but do it after visiting a shop and trying the rods first. Get the right rod and it will become an extension of your arm icon_smile_big.gif

Regards, Dave

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Hi Lazer3
In the Oundle area there is great club with a web site showing match reports and offering help and advice. Check out Jeff Bridges ( I believe he runs it) on www.rodbenders.co.uk I'm sure it will be OK
Good Luck mate

Status
Not open for further replies.