Can anyone give a little advice ref: pole fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlw

Hi its JLW here, yes the lady angler.

Although im an experienced course fisherwoman!
I was wondering if anyone had any basic advice reference pole fishing. I have been given a 8 meter spitfire pole to try and I havent really got a clue where to start.

I know you attach the line to the end and you have precision fishing everytime you go out, but is there anything anyone can tell me that would make it easier.

I had ago at attaching the sections and disconnecting the sections in the garden and to be quite honest I found it very difficult to manage.

Which made me think if theres a fish on the hook, theres no way i could bring it in.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks JLW.

G

Welcome to the forum jlw.
Practice makes perfect as they say,my advice to you would be, buy some books on pole fishing, try the "MASTER", Bob Nudd"s pole fishing, nobody better to write a book than the master pole man himself.
Good luck
Toma

jlw

Hi toma and thanks for the welcome

Yes I think I better or I will probably make a right idiot of myself.

JLW

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi JLW,

Not sure if the Spitfire is a pole or a whip but here goes:

If it's a whip, attached at the top end should be a connector or more popularly a loop of thick line. Attach a length of line roughly equivalent in length to the first four sections of pole to the loop.
Your float goes on, shot it up and attach your hook. In essence this is your first rig. As a precaution tie your hook to a lesser breaking strain than the main line.
Then basically, holding the fourth section you will be also able to hold the hooklength comfortably. Bait up, lay the whip level to the surface and connect the rest of the pole. Slide it out to your baited area and when you get a bite, lift the pole till connecting and bring it back in.
Once you get to the fourth section again, detach the rest and bring the fish to hand or the net.

Pole fishing is very similar except that your line is connected to a connector (stonflo normally) and is generally shorter or sufficient for the depth you are fishing.
The connector is then attached to elastic which 'gives' if you catch a reasonable fish.
The best way of getting a pole elasticated if you're not too familiar with it is ask a friendly tackle shop owner and he/she will show you.

The longer the pole the harder it is to handle so if you are intending using one for a while, you would do well to invest in a couple of pole hooks and maybe a roller.

phew, next

Dave

Edited by - Dave on 28 February 2002 10:06:24 PM

jlw

Thanks Dave,

Yes its definatley a pole, I have a whip and fish to hand with that but its all the sections, you have to connect and disconnect, I have seen anglers using poles and they make it look so easy to do, but believe me when i tried in the garden, what a laugh
I nearly through it down the garden, I think what i will do is start off with like you say the first couple of sections and then add slowly untill i get the hang of it.

Just one more thing you mentioned something about a pole hook?

Whats one of those? could it be something to do with threading the elastic in the top section. mind thats just a guess

Thanks anyway for the info.

JLW

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Step 2:

The art of handling a pole is all in the balance and sitting comfortably.
By balance I mean the rig to the pole, and section length.

There is no point having too mush line between the pole float and the pole tip as this defeats the object of control and can lead to many tangles as well as a cumbersome strike as you'll end up waving the pole around in the air as you try to take the slack up.
In most conditions two to three feet should be enough spare line.

Okay, so you're sitting comfortably, your line is no more than four sections long and you've got the pole in your right hand, hook in your left. <here goes lol>
Lay the pole level with the surface, comfortably in reach on your right side are the other sections preferably two or three sections joined together or the full pole if you use a roller.
Swap the pole to your left hand after letting go of the hook, grab the next section or full pole with your right and push the two together with a slight twist.
(You should now have the pole tip pointing at your baited area, float in the water nearby)
Push the pole with your right hand outwards and sliding through your left, use your right leg as a 'middle' support if neccessary, once you've got to the end of the next section, hold the pole with your left, grab the rest and once again slide out.

If you keep your float in the water or most of your shot, the rig won't bounce and you'll not get tangled.

Part 3>>

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
hello.gif Hi JLW.
1st things 1st,Welcome to the Forum.
Is there any chance that you can make it to the little fish-in a few of us are having on the 30th.If so i'm sure a couple of us will be happy to show you the basics.
help.gif If not then as TOMA says,you cant go far wrong with Bob Nudd's Guide to Pole Fishing,and see if you can get hold of one of his pole fishing videos.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

jlw

Hi Dave.

I am going to have to print all this out cos its quite detailed isnt it.

but thanks again.

JLW

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
This is where the hooks come in...

A pole hook (usually in pairs) are rod rests, the front one being a U shape and the rear one being an upturned U (haven't got a key for that one
)
Place your pole in the front U and tuck the butt under the rear one. If they are positioned correctly you will find that the pole's weight will keep it in place and the tip of your pole is just above the water or for really long poles, laying on it.
This will then free your hands up for baiting etc.

An alternative method is to lay the pole across your right leg with your right hand holding down (behind you) the butt freeing up you left hand.

You get a bite <hopefully> Lift the pole with your left hand into the fish, fish on? Pull the pole towards you or drag the fish away from your baited area. As you start bringing the fish in, pull with your right hand and slide through your left hand. Detach the sections as you put them together until you're left with the four. Lift the pole at this stage and play the fish to the net or gently swing to hand.

As you say it takes practice and one good tip I was given is to put some bright insulation tape at the end of the fourth section. That way you know its the one without having to count them

Have fun, Dave

jlw

Hi Peter

I am sorry unfortunatly I carnt make it but thanks for the invite,
yes thats a good idea i will have to by a pole fishing video I never thought about that.

Cheers.

JLW

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi again,

Here's one that I have, pole fishing with Bob Nudd Click Here

and another of the man again on the canals Click Here

Hope they help, I taught him everything he knows, I wish

Regards, Dave

jlw

Cheers Dave,

Theres alot of advice there thankyou very much, im going to print it all so i can follow the step by step instructions.

Oh and I like the bit about the tape thats a good, a very good idea.

Thanks and I will have to let you know how i get on, I will have to buy some of those hooks first though and make up some rigs.

Thankyou.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
JLW,
Make sure you get yourself a pole roller,they make shipping/unshipping so much easier,as well as protecting the pole.
Also have a look at the Clever Claw here http://www.cleverclaw.com/
it's a clever little device that can make using a pole so much easier.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

martin.

Account Locked
hi & welcome JLW.
i think the roller would probably be a better choice to start with rather than the hooks as this can aid shipping/unshiping a great deal you can pick a small V roller up around 3-4 that fits on bank stick.

try first positioning it roughly half way back to where the but of pole will be when it s in the pos. to break down , then practice just feeding pole back onto this , once confident then start practicing
unshipping make sure you kee pole & top set in line.

tight lines.
martin.

jlw

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the advice.

I should be an expert if i get all the above in the right order.

Cheers everyone.

JLW.

G

Hello jlw have you taken all the info in?

What do you mean make an idiot of yourself, can i tell you something WE ALL HAVE
at some time.
If you make a mistake so what shrug it off and try again
May the fishing,and the pole be kind to you jlw
beer-toast1.gif
Good luck jlw go get em girl
Toma

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Best thing is forget about looking like a garden gnome

(had to get that in didn't i?)

The only advice i can give you is to buy ready made pole rigs cos making your own is a pain..erm not that i've got a pole you understand (shut it fisheggs before you say anything)

Alan
You've just been moderated

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
who me?

I never said anything honest i didn'tahem

Alan
You've just been moderated

G

Well i will ARSE so there