Can all fish be caught on the fly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfisher

I know ive had pike,perch,trout,grayling but i wonder if all fish could fall to the fly

Dogsbody

I doubt you would catch either Bream or Barbel on a Fly being bottom feeders.

Anybody done it?

flyfisher

funny you should mention barbel i was a show last year and there was going to be someone talking about barbel on the fly but he didnt make it

fish finder

callum
Originally posted by Dogsbody

Anybody done it?
it might be possible with a sinking fly[:)]

codenamemilo

Barbel and bream both perfectly possible on the fly. Not easy but possible. As is just about everything else including eels! As for the bottom feeding things, a lot of fly imitations are designed to imitate bottom dwelling life and to be fished deep, its not all about dry fly on the surface.

flyfisher

very true i think it may be possible but it may take a life time this year im going to try and catch as many as possible on the fly !

peteblade

Dogsbody, Why are bream bottom feeders? I've had several 200lb bags of bream fishing two foot deep in thirty feet of water. I'm sure they would have the fly in the right conditions.

nelson66

between me and my friends weve had roach, rudd, bream, chub, carp, pike and perch - i have heard of tench being taken on the fly.

you should be able to catch pretty much anything, but you might struggle with sticklebacks and gudgeon.

rawww

Been considering going after my 1st carp/pike on the fly this year seems like it would be a fun challenge, since buying my fly outfit a couple of years ago ive maybe used it 4 times 3 times when on hols in wales and once on a trout res so might aswell try and get some use out of it [:D]

RUDDLES

ive had a few bream round six pound mark on dog biscuits came up and slurped them down just like a carp and a couple of tench so i cant see why they wont take a fly ..

ukrottie

Nobby
ive had a gudgen on a GRHE hooked in the mouth and a friend of mine weighed a photographed a bream for a young lad cought at rutland this year that went over 8lbs

Dogsbody

Originally posted by peteblade

Dogsbody, Why are bream bottom feeders? I've had several 200lb bags of bream fishing two foot deep in thirty feet of water. I'm sure they would have the fly in the right conditions.

Bream are primarily a bottom feeding species although a decent feeding regimen can pull them up in the water, which you obviously succeded in doing to get several 200lb bags. However we are talking Fly fishing, that means 1 piece of bait or possibly two where a second dropper is permitted. I doubt that would entice them up.

gillm

Originally posted by nelson66

i have heard of tench being taken on the fly.

Tench are bottom feeders and you rarely if not ever see them on the surface.

crusty

I've had tench and bream off the surface but not on a fly. And I know Bricktop had a barbel on a nymph.

its not all about dry fly on the surface.

oh but it just so is [:D][:D]

Ian

cess monkey

Tench are bottom feeders and you rarely if not ever see them on the surface.
[/quote]

I`ve taken at least a dozen tench a foot deep in 18 foot of water.

big bream

scott
Originally posted by Dogsbody

Anybody done it?
[/quote defo not just bottom feeders i have a club lake where they come out on top when fishing for carp on bread and now this year there coming out on fake dog biscuits [:T][:T]

Thymallus

Ant
Don't know of any fish that won't take a fly. Czech nymphing is one of the best methods with weighted flies / bugs. One of the best flies for coarse fish is a power gum worm, I've also had sucess with a red rubber band tied on with red thread, in the water looks just like a redworm.

Andy Macfarlane

I've got an old Fisherman Weekly magazine that has a list of freshwater species and the flies that can be used to take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.