Cameras for videos

Dusty

Site Supporter
Morning guys,

I’m looking into the possibility of making YouTube videos of my fishing exploits along with a few tutorials.
The market for cameras seems to be Full of choice and I’ll be honest I’m totally lost as to what to get.

Ive seen people recording on everything from large DSLR cameras to Go pros.

I was personally swaying towards the idea of getting a couple of Go pros but I’m unsure how versatile they are in terms of lenses etc?

Any help would be appreciated

Dusty

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If you're not doing any underwater video's then why not use a video camcorder? No extra lenses required, good zoom function (great for video of float tips) and a very good camcorder can be cheap to get hold of.
Go-Pro's are ok for head cam work and clipping to a bait waiter if it starts raining but the DSLR's can be a bit dicey at times, sometimes the internal mic will pick up the zoom motor working and spoil any audio.
I have 3 camcorders ready and waiting to go. I just need 2 more tripods.

Last edited:

Dusty

Site Supporter
Thanks Pete I will have a look at them 👍

davylad

Site Supporter
What's your budget Dusty, if you can afford a 5D 2 or later, fantastic for video and in fact a lot of TV is recorded on them.

Dusty

Site Supporter
What's your budget Dusty, if you can afford a 5D 2 or later, fantastic for video and in fact a lot of TV is recorded on them.
Hi mate,

I opted for a go pro hero 7 black edition in the end. Seen some fantastic footage shot on them.
I do like the look of the one you recommended though and may add it to my arsenal later in the year.

MarkW

If you're not doing any underwater video's then why not use a video camcorder? No extra lenses required, good zoom function (great for video of float tips) and a very good camcorder can be cheap to get hold of.
Go-Pro's are ok for head cam work and clipping to a bait waiter if it starts raining but the DSLR's can be a bit dicey at times, sometimes the internal mic will pick up the zoom motor working and spoil any audio.
I have 3 camcorders ready and waiting to go. I just need 2 more tripods.
Out of interest, what video cameras do you use? I'm not convinced I'd need more than HD which reduces the cost a lot.

I've been using my Canon 600D DSLR which is great for picture quality but hard to get rid of the background hiss and limited to short videos or it will overheat. I have a compact that isn't bad. I'm starting to try out my cheap GoPro copy (ThiEye) underwater - it works (surprising what fish loom out of the gloom!) but visibility is still too poor until the algae blooms subside.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Out of interest, what video cameras do you use? I'm not convinced I'd need more than HD which reduces the cost a lot.

I've been using my Canon 600D DSLR which is great for picture quality but hard to get rid of the background hiss and limited to short videos or it will overheat. I have a compact that isn't bad. I'm starting to try out my cheap GoPro copy (ThiEye) underwater - it works (surprising what fish loom out of the gloom!) but visibility is still too poor until the algae blooms subside.

I mainly use a Sony camcorder with built in hard drive, saves getting sd cards damaged/lost, but they will take sd cards and record to those if your hard drive gets full. I also have 2 JVC camcorders also with built in hard drives, all of which are HD and all are bought 2nd hand but tested from places like cash converters or similar. All have hard drives above 60gig, the Sony has a 120gig hard drive and all have night vision. I don't do any filming underwater now as that's how I lost another camera, it fell off the mount and never to be seen again. Funnily enough, it was Thieye i60+

The hiss that you're getting will be from the internal mic picking up on the motor as mentioned in my earlier post

Last edited:

MarkW

There's plenty of camcorders at £40 to £100 on CashConverters; might be worth a punt rather than spending upwards of £200. What Sony model have you got?

I do have the means of recording sound separately with a microphone and sound recorder but that has to be synchronised - need a clapper-board!

I've been using a safety cord on the ThiEye - I will improve it! It also helps anchor the margin pole that supports the camera to the bank.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
There's plenty of camcorders at £40 to £100 on CashConverters; might be worth a punt rather than spending upwards of £200. What Sony model have you got?

I do have the means of recording sound separately with a microphone and sound recorder but that has to be synchronised - need a clapper-board!

I've been using a safety cord on the ThiEye - I will improve it! It also helps anchor the margin pole that supports the camera to the bank.
It's a Sony Handycam, but not sure of model number till I dig it out. Will have a look later. :upthumb:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
My dad has two go - pros. One in his van and one on his motorcycle. He did buy a water proof case once and dunked it in his swim. He got some shots of skimmers rooting about but, once they coloured the water up we couldn’t see them. If you need any advice / help I could PM you his number. Lovely guy to talk to. I’m sure he would be happy to help.

MarkW

My dad has two go - pros. One in his van and one on his motorcycle. He did buy a water proof case once and dunked it in his swim. He got some shots of skimmers rooting about but, once they coloured the water up we couldn’t see them. If you need any advice / help I could PM you his number. Lovely guy to talk to. I’m sure he would be happy to help.
I seem to have a good rig but the waters are too coloured at present. Our waters clear a lot from July so should be good. I was given a Shakespeare Goliath 8.5 metre margin pole which by getting rid of the top 2 and using a 1 metre bit of an old landing net pole plus 'spider' device that I made from old curtain rail and banksticks gives me a reach of nearly 7 metres. I got ThiEye for £40 but the battery cover snapped so they sent me another camera that wasn't supposed to work (plus another waterproof case and batteries) but I have got it working and can risk it knowing I still have the one I paid for. So far I've seen crucians, tench, roach, rudd, perch and minnows but nothing worth watching; that's from two stillwaters and a local river.

davylad

Site Supporter
Does your dad use them for driving Mick, I mean insurance cover in case anyone denies a bump for instance, if it's their fault?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Does your dad use them for driving Mick, I mean insurance cover in case anyone denies a bump for instance, if it's their fault?
I 'm not sure if that has crossed his mind Dave. Maybe the motorbike one perhaps as he's had a couple of near misses with owd dears pulling out on him. Amazingly the footage is very steady considering he's driving over bumps. I'm guessing the camera must be mounted on some springs or foam. Very nice clear image.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Sorry for not getting back to you on the model, I totally forgot. Here it is... Sony HDR-XR260VE.

Some info on it here...

MarkW

Sorry for not getting back to you on the model, I totally forgot. Here it is... Sony HDR-XR260VE.

Some info on it here...

Thanks for that.

MarkW

I finally sourced a Sony CX405 camcorder through Cash Converters for less than half a new one. Seems all good though may not be the last camcorder I buy as I may upgrade to 4K eventually. It's HD and has the same batteries (a good battery in the camera - they're £35 alone!) as my Sony compact which is a bonus. I already had a spare micro SD card so up and running.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Go pros have a variety of problems.............all my favourite vloggers use Sony X3000... verysmall light and great quality with an external mic input. But most
just use the onboard mics. Have a look at "bald and bankrupt" and "Harald Balder"......on youtube. Both use the Sony. So many vloggers have given up on the gopros......though others like them.