Calling Smart TV boffins

bigmac1

I'm looking at getting a smart TV and I was wondering if you can watch a programme and record another at the same time?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I think you need a box... either sky or virgin media... there may be others... but I don't think the tv itself can record... although the way technology advances I could be wrong

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
If the TV has two tuners and something to record to (hard drive, data stick), yes. Alternatively, many channels offer catch up services which can be available through the smart TV without any need to record anything. However, this will rely on a broadband connection. Look out for Freeview Play functionality.

I've stayed old school so far. I have an older Freeview smart TV with limited functionality. It's coupled with a Digital TV hard drive recorder. It has two of its own tuners. That means I can record two channels and watch a third via the TVs own tuner (not that I bother very often).

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
My tv has a USB port and I have recorded one programme to a USB stick while watching another. I had to dig out the tv instruction book to do it though.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My TV has got an aerial, thats about all i know :D