CALLING ALL ANGLERS! Can anyone help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joey eccles

On a different forum i have tried to explain possible reasons for the wanting of the otter cull, and generally try express the view of the angler and fishery owner, who often both get overlooked.
However i feel i am hitting my head against a brick wall.
Can anyone help me better explain the damage otters are doing, without being aggressive and nasty etc etc.

Any advice welcome

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbsn/F10211074?thread=7546544&post=96970233#p96970233
[:H][:H][:H][:H]

Last edited:

Marvin Waggler

Bass Blanker
Havn't the powers that be only just re-introduced them into the wild because of the 'cull' that happened to nearly exterminate them for their fur, they're only doing what instinct tells them tbf.

joey eccles

I'm just trying to get the other , often overlooked , side of the argument heard for once. I m not for killing otters, but i am for people understanding the harm that they are causing to some fisheries.
I just want the angler's voice to be heard![:(!]

codenamemilo

Let your voice be heard by all means, but don't assume you speak for all anglers. I'd pack up fishing before I support a cull.

Bill G

Grandad
my understanding of otters eating habits is that they much prefer to eat eels over most coarse fish .
as to wether they should be culled im not really sure that they are in plague numbers to require that sort of action.
as to wether tthey cause harm to a commercial fishery ,im sure that most commercials are pretty much the same ,that being that they are predominately carp dominantand most of those carp would be too much of a handfull for an otter .
im probably totally wrong but thats the opinion of an angler who has had very limited experience of otters chewing through a fisherys stock .

Milo

23/04/04 - 28/01/20
In Memoriam
Well at the top end of the Bristol Avon, where otters are now seen, the barbel catches have fallen last season. Also they will catch large carp. They don't eat all the fish but leave some of the uneaten body around. This is not further eaten so they will then catch another carp.

I think you will struggle to get people to understand the problems that otters are causing. They are seen as cuddly toys not the killing machines that they are.

bloomer

fishing monster
i would love to see wild otters, they were here for centuries and only gone because of man, i am glad they are on there way back.

i am not going to say they do no harm they can do and in the case of commercials maybe trapping and relocation needs considering.

but support a cull never, i would sooner hang up my rods and thats not something i'd do lightly!!!

cannyatton

Otter's have been reintroduced for several years and I am very dubious of the expertise of those at Natural England in this area having had numerous experiences with this organisation.
Otter's primary/favourite food is eels,however,there has been a catastrophic fall in eel numbers of some 95% over the last ten years. Consequently the otters have had to rely on other fish species to survive and a result of this had been a dramatic decline in the fish population in many of our rivers. As the numbers of fish in our rivers begin to decline the otters have resorted to pillaging commercial still waters.
There is without doubt a strong case for management of this countries otter population.

youngcharles

im not in support of a kull but something must be done

otters often kill the biggest fish they can find as a way of 'showing off' they have obliterated fish stocks on some stretches of river but being a commie match angler in the east midlands i have not seen any results of otters but would not support a kull

cess monkey

I`d say mink are a bigger problem!
I wouldn`t support an otter cull, they take less fish than the eastern europeans and no one`s doing owt about them!

joey eccles

I am definately NOT in support of a cull. I just wish people would appreciate the anglers concerns rather than the "its your fault for having fish" response, which helps no-one.
Surely some sort of comprimise can be made??

nutmeg

Site Supporter
dream on mate otters need protection,they were fishing the rivers long before man ever was, they are only doing what nature intened in their natural environment. its the mink that need erradicating they are alien to this country but it was do gooders that released them from the mink farms that has caused tons of devastion to our natural wildlife.

stikflote

Site Supporter
There was a programme on tv on sunday evenings called HALCYON RIVER,they filmed a Otter

eating mallard chicks ,because there is no fish left in that bit of river,,i would advocate a cull of otters.

Down to the misguided know all who brought the otters back,with out checking the food source, which from all accounts is supposed to be EELS, which are in decline,even more so now ,
I think we should all give angling, because its cruel we are putting hooks in fishes mouths,,keeping them in keep nets so the poor otter cant eat them ,the angler just cant win,

What wiil the anglers say when the rivers and lakes are devoid of fish , and what will the otters eat then,the swans??

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Given that the otter will probably be at the top of the food chain on a stretch of river, tales of them wiping out the complete fish stock are gross exaggerations.

There has never been a predator that has wiped out its own food source, as that has only one outcome.......it's own death from starvation.

codenamemilo

stikflote why should the angler win? Wy do we have a divine right to have our sport kept sacrosanct to the penalty of nature? Its not as if otters are a foreign or invasive species. Theyve been brought back because thankfully we manage to look after our rivers a bit better now than we did for a long time, and rightfully so.

Its often been pretty much our main line of defence against all the animal rights lobbyists calling for a ban that we act as they eyes and ears against pollution etc, and are in some way the guardians and defenders of the rivers. It'd be sad if that is not the case anymore, and actually we don't care what happens to everything else that lives on or near rivers as long as we can still fish.

nelson66

Originally posted by codenamemilo

Let your voice be heard by all means, but don't assume you speak for all anglers. I'd pack up fishing before I support a cull.

Well put [:T]

Russ G

Rusty
Bill G and Peter
Have any of you two seen any Otters down our neck of the woods as I haven't.
The only one I've ever seen was on the upper Cam near Cambridge.
Come to think of it I've never seen a live Badger outside the zoo but plenty of road kill victims[:(].
Otters are cute and furry but I bet their bite would have your finger off (Mick the Chippy)!

stikflote

Site Supporter
there was only supposed to be a certain number of Otter,s released,,when in fact twice as

many were released, because of the breeding programs,
i wouldnt mind if they took a fish and eat it all,instead they take a bite out of one then find another fish

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Perhaps you need to cite actual cases where a fishery has been wiped out by the presence of otters (or are they mink?). I assume you do have such facts available.

Status
Not open for further replies.