Calf Nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello All

I have used calf nuts for a while as a prebait, and have found they work well, they break down quickly, from a nice cloud when disturbed and apparently are full of molasses, they remind me a lot of fast break down CSL pellets in fact (except they are a fraction of the cost)

I am hoping to use them as a prebait for bream and hybrids, aswell as roach probably , but have not used them for these species before ( usually i use em for tench)

Has anyone else used them for these species?

All replies appreciated

ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Steve M

Site Supporter
Hi Adam S,
I have never used calf nuts before, but I am curious. Do you use them on their own or mix with groundbait? Do they need any preparation ie. soaking. They appear to be a cheap bait that could be useful to bulk out feed when bagging Bream etc. Were they successful for Tench?
Thanks for any info.
Cheers.

joe1987

'Darwener'
Please tell me what calf nuts are. A kind of nut of a calfs danglies??? Thanks **Joey-Mackeral**

norm

does the calf mind you using its nuts?

what are they?

martin.

Account Locked
norm
there the byproduct of male calves being turned into bullocks LOL

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

norm

cheers martin
at least thats cleared up

ps do you think the farmer (or the calf) would mind if i picked my own at the weekend

joe1987

'Darwener'
Hmmm, Dont think you be fast enough to catch it norm[:D]. I know i'd run like hell if you or any body else were after my nuts!
Get a couple of MDs to help, Me and the percher are always up for a challenge!!!
Im guessing they're bought from the butcher Adam? Cheap?
**Joey-Mackeral**

scales

Vinny
I've been trying to locate a supplier of Calf Nuts in the Northwest of England with no success, Anyone know of any ??

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

AndyA

I've tried Pig Nuts on one occasion, but have since been told that they shouldn't be used as they contain hormones and "other" chemicals to speed growth in the animals they are being fed to.

I haven't tried them since just in case I'm harming the fish ?

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

http://aa-computerrescue.cjb.net

Jeff

Hi Scales,
Try this..http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=calf+nuts+uk&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=

scales

Vinny
Thanks Jeff, already tried that with no luck (postage too high!!)

cheers,

Scales,

Every angler knows his Plaice.

MALC

Calf Nuts/Pellets,
[^]
Weaner's Pellets/Balls,
[^]
Sow Pellets/Pig Nuggets,
[^]
Cattle Nuggets/Pellets,
[^]
Layers Pellets/Turkey Pellets,
[^]
Fishmeal,
[^]
Molasses,
[^]
Trout Pellets/Salmon Fry Crumb,
[^]
And most Seeds/Pulses and other Animal Feeds are best bought from either a Grain Merchant or Animal/Horse Feed Merchants as a 25kg sack will only cost a fraction of the price you'd pay else where.

For years i've used all the above in different situations for different fish (and they all work [:D]) and buy them all by the sack, just ask Toma [;)] he's seen some of the bait i keep around the house.[:0]

Regards the worries about them being harmfull to fish, before i've used any of them i've always tested them out in either a garden pond or aquarium for a lengthy period to see if any problems occurred with either the fish or water quality and have never found any of the above to be a cause for concern.

The only things i have found is breakdown times can and do vary alot depending on how New/Old the supplie is and how you store them.

Regards finding a supplier try the yellow pages (old fashioned iknow [;)]) just look under Feed/Grain Merchants or Animal Feed Suppliers.

Hope that helps a bit.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

joe32

I have been useing gluten straights and ewe nuts for about two years now,by far the best is gluten straights they are mainly a cattle feed that is a buy product of the maize fermentation process.The other thing is that they are very rich in CSL which as im sure you are aware has been a huge attractor within the carp bait world.They break down to a mush in about six minutes and leave a cloud of CSL hovering around the bottom.And another huge bonus is the price 8 for 25kg.Most if not all of the CSL pellets available in shops are rebaged animal feed and by searching around you can save yourself alot of money.There may be some tackle dealers that will tell you these csl pellets are specialy made for carp,well they arn't none of them.

Joe [:D] [:D]

Don't argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to there level and beat you on experience

Adam S

Account Locked
Hello

Steve M , yes they have worked well for tench as a prebait, you can use them in groundbait or on their own and lay down a carpet, they will break down quickly and leave a nice bed of feed.

I tend to either include them with my groundbait or put down a bed of them with either corn,casters or hemp over the top and you can flavour them further with hemp oil,scopex or brasem etc and they absorb and hold the flavour nicely.

Anyway, i get them from a local pet shop, and he buys them in for me in 25kg sacks, they are full of molasses and have good nutrients to feed up young calves quickly.

Finally,calf nuts should not be confused under any circumstances with calf testicles[:D] which i never have, nor intned to use as a prebait...

...well maybe for catfish

good luck
ADAM

http://groups.msn.com/ADAMSALBUM79

Status
Not open for further replies.