Calderstones Park - Liverpool

spc123

I am very late to fishing and trying to encourage my young son.

So far we have been to a few Angling Trust fisheries and caught quite a few silver fish with a pole and a rod. I am now trying to find somewhere a bit closer to home so we can go more often

During lock down I have seen a lot of serious anglers fishing at Calderstones Park lake. Looking at the gear I am guessing they are going for the bigger Carp and Tench that I believe are in there. With my young lad I am however looking for quantity rather than quality at this stage. He will not have the patience to sit and wait.

Are there any silver fish or smaller perch in there and is it worth some basic waggler fishing with corn, maggots, worms etc or would I be wasting my time? Same question re Greenbank Park

Any pegs better than others - I was thinking of the jetty in front of the old boat house to avoid disturbing the serious anglers at the other end

If not and it is more of a carp venue any other suggestions close to South Liverpool. As I say I need to stop him getting bored so anything with loads of smaller roach, rudd or perch would be great

First post so apologies if I am asking something supid or obvious

Cheers

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've never fished any of the Liverpool park lakes, I'm over the water. However most of the park lakes in the area and Wirral contain a good head of silvers. Fishing maggots will surely tempt the smaller fish for your son. Park lakes typically have a good mix of fish. Use light hooklengths & small hooks (18 or 20). Can't advise on pegs though as I say, I've never fished them. There's also Sefton Park & Stanley Park lake but I'm told it's not the safest place in the world to fish!

spc123

Hi Landlord

Thanks very much for the advice. Will probably give Greenbank or Calderstones a go over the next week or so when it cools off and see how we get on. Greenbank is busy at the moment with loads just walking round the lake. Will probably give Calderstones a try first as fenced off and can find a spot out of the way.

Thanks for the tip re smaller hooks. Have been using slightly bigger than that so far so will get some smaller ones and change down.

Other than the park lakes there doesn't seem to be many places in South Liverpool so may need to keep venturing further. Any good places for absolute beginners on the Wirral ?

Thanks again

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Most of the fisheries in Wirral are either club owned or commercials with carp. Birkenhead Park used to be decent but I haven't fished there for years. The place is full of sallow complexioned Orcs though, smoking crack. Yew Tree fishery in Thornton Hough is very good. £8 per day. Big lake full of everything and a small lake with lots of smaller fish and this one would be ideal to keep your lad interested.
There's also the Bridgewater canal at Runcorn which won't be too far from you & the Leeds Liverpool. I'd venture further out towards Lydiate or Maghull though where it's a bit more countrified.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Let me know when you're going to Thornton Hough & I'll try and give you a few tips. I'm no superstar but I fished it a lot last year & had some good days.

spc123

Been to the park today and maggots did the trick. A nice perch and a skimmer. Slowish going but on the doorstep and will be good to go more often with my 10 year old. We seem to be a novelty with a waggler and a pole but had some nice chats with the regulars

Fishfinderuk

Hi.
Theres a few very good fishers in liverpool.
1. Mascar lakes
2. Rosemary wood
3. Bannister farm (its probably closer to southport,but very good)
Well worth a Google.

spc123

After some beginners luck on Calderstones Park lake with a waggler and a whip pole and maggots over ground bait we have hit a lean spell

As we had caught a decent sized perch of 10 inches or so have tried a bit of lure fishing recently. Been using a mix of lures, worms, shads all 2-2.5 inch long but no interest.

am I wasting my time lure fishing on a park pond ? Also the lures seem pretty big ? They were from a go outdoors perch kit -would smaller micro lures be a better bet?

After the blanks think will try a commercial soon to keep my lad interested. Mind he was pleased enough today when the lure dragged up an old sleeping bag!!!

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Some of the parks contain decent pike (or they used to). A commercial is probably a good shout to get your lad interested. Too many blanks & he may lose interest.

Dougiela

Unfortunately calderstones and greenbank had their fish stocks stolen years ago, people were night fishing and emptying their keepnets into wheelie bins to stock club waters just outside Liverpool (I won’t name the clubs but it doesn’t take a genius to work it out).
Sefton park, was ruined by Liverpool city council…when the renovation work was done, the company who netted the lake were allowed to keep the fish as part payment. Disgusting

Troutex

Have a look at the Port Sunlight angling club website, just google it they encourage dads and lads and they do coaching sessions for beginners. They have a number of ponds full of silvers , crusian carp perch and tench. I would recommend joining this club.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Have a look at the Port Sunlight angling club website, just google it they encourage dads and lads and they do coaching sessions for beginners. They have a number of ponds full of silvers , crusian carp perch and tench. I would recommend joining this club.
Unfortunately membership is closed for this year. The club got inundated with new memberships during lockdown & closed the books. Worth people getting their names on the waiting list though for next April.