Calculating amount of mono backing for braid

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Here's a question for all you braid aficionados.

Just bought myself a 150m spool of 0.12mm braid to use on a 4000 size reel.

I see that it is recommended to soak the braid prior to spooling and to leave a 2mm gap to the spool lip when spooled up with the braid. I intended to use mono as backing; is there a rough guide to the space the I should leave from the mono to the spool lip (i.e. 5mm?) or is a question of trial and error?

TIA
Paul

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
As Nocarpplease said and count the number of turns of mono and note down somewhere for future reference. I use my notepad on my mobile.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
There is a free app in Google appstore, "CalcLine" that lets you calculate main line and shock leader. Just search for "Fishing line calculator". Let the "shock leader" be your backing instead, and just enter the reel capacity, then the diamter and length of the main line, and then the diameter of the backing (i.e. "shock leader"), and the length of your backing should pop out. Whether it's accurate, or not, I simply don't know. You might have to spool on and off to get it precisely right.

Keith Sparky

As Nocarpplease said and count the number of turns of mono and note down somewhere for future reference. I use my notepad on my mobile.
I do this as well....I have a list of each spool with number of turns of cheap backing of 10lb bulk spools sensor to allow for 150m of my chosen mainline writing both make and diameter for future reference

Maverick

Site Supporter
As above unless you only have 1 spool then I've used this site plenty of times and it pretty accurate. Fishing reel line capacity estimator - Pattaya Fishing

Then armed with the knowledge I set about loading the required meters of backing line onto the spool and then fill up with the required top mainline.

Just done 2 spools off a couple of shimano ST 6000 reels and spot on. You do need to be able to do your maths tho and a line counter comes in very handy.

IMG_20210128_044822.jpg

IMG_20210128_044801.jpg

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
this is where two spools come in reel (sic) handy ..... wind on with the braid first .... then reverse on to the spool you need it to end up on
You can still do it if you don't have a spare spool for the particular reel in question. First from the reel where the line is intended to go, to a second spool. On this second spool the backing will be be on the "inside". So you have to transfer it to a third spool to get the backing on the "outside", and then you can spool it back to the reel it was intended for.

davylad

Site Supporter
Line twist or spool too full causes wind knots, not dry braid. Also make sure you wind it on tight, especially the first 20 or 30 yds.