Cage v method feeders

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
I decided yesterday.....to break out my old John Wilson Avon Quiver...and used the quiver tip to see what produced better results a method feeder or a cage feeder. I used roughly the same mix in both .but added some dryer particle to the middle of the cage ... using a twizzled boom...... the same banded 12 hooks on both and 6mm fruity Squidg-itz ( which are brilliant) Much to the astonishment of some bivvy boys who enquired what I was doing....they were using size 6 hooks and double 20mm boilies with little luck .
Hardly a definitive test.....but the method did catch more.
The rod coped well handling an 18lb carp with ease. Lovely days fishing. 12 fish to the method.............7 to the cage.
Perhaps this goes someway to explain why method feeders are more popular these days ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Method feeder is better for Carp most of the time, but I did go through a stage of fishing cage feeders on a commercial in winter and it caught me about 10 comfortably 2lb+ Perch. Ok there's better ways to specifically target Perch, but I liked catching them and they always made my day. I still caught Carp on it, but if I'd fished a method feeder it's likely that all I would have caught were Carp, so I might go back to doing it at this particular place this winter.

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
Just a follow up to this thread.............Yesterday I caught well on the hybrid feeder........with a fish or action every 10 mins. After I was broken... I decided to use a cage feeder with some sweetcorn and same method feeder mix at both ends...and the same bait around 8 inches below the feeder with a twizzled boom ..... the feeder was not too tightly packed. Interestingly the bites dried up. Same place............underarm cast of around 20 ft. Went back to the feeder after an hour.and the tip went round after 5 mins...and continued to do so. ....fascinating.

Reuben

Site Supporter
No idea, mate. I never fish method so can’t comment on it. Strange no takes on the cage. The venues I fish on the feeder, I tend to only use a guru 15gm cage as it’s only a 30m chuck at the most. One’s a proper commie full of carp & easyish, one’s a man made mixed fishery about 50yrs old. There’s plenty of carp in there but loads of natural food so they’re not often caught. Bream & roach the main quarry so different tactics required. At least your catching…

buygoodtackle

Site Supporter
Both have their uses and a lot will depend on
  • the type of venue
  • the target fish
  • how you want the bait to behave
Similar to using different floats in different situations. Also how the groundbait is mixed will vary greatly for the cage feeder depending upon the above.