Cadence Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you that might have taken notice of cadence products (which according to many forum members seem well priced and well made) you might be interested in the following test I conducted with them.

Like a friend of mine I asked Cadence in mid April when their CS10 reel would be back to stock as I wished to pair it up with one of their 15ft rods, their answer was some time in May, of course virus depending which is of course understandable. In the last 10 days I have emailed them back twice to ask for an update and my friend three times in the last fortnight. In all cases this was done professionally and with sympathy for the current circumstance and simply asking for an update to the status of the reels. We haven’t had a reply!

I have run businesses for nearly 30 years including online and direct to user ones and have lost count of the amount of customers over the years that have told me the competition couldn’t be bothered to answer their enquiries, questions, or keep them up to date about stock, which of course was always absolutely fine with me. But from a personal point of view (when I’m the customer or potential customer) I find it extremely irritating. Why companies do this after money is spent on promotion is beyond me and if I had to work all night as well as day to answer EVERY question from a potential customer I would.

So I did what I have done many times in my lifetime in such circumstances and fibbed. What a surprise that an enquiry for a bulk amount of product (enquiry and reply pasted below) warranted a reply and in less than 24 hours!

Conclusion: An order for ‘A” rod and reel isn’t worth bothering with for Cadence. Seems I’ll stick with the mainstream makers after all then!

This is a pity as I was looking forward to trying their products but if they can’t answer simple chasing stock emails I wouldn’t hold out too much hope if I had a problem with a purchased product.

So companies out there who deal direct here’s a warning for you. Remember if you don’t pull your finger out so far as customer support is concerned it’s really easy to be found out these days and you don’t necessarily even realise it’s happening. Silly really if you are spending money on hosting, web design, eBay, Amazon and even videos for all of your products yet you cant engage that same technology to answer simple emails. But best NOT to leave potential customers un-answered I suggest, even when it's to say we still can't help you currently.

PS: guess they missed the fact that the enquiry was from Dick Passwater ;-)

Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2020 at 8:23 AM
To: "d_passwater@gmx.co.uk" <d_passwater@gmx.co.uk>
Subject: FW: New submission from Contact Us

Hi Richard
We are expecting a delivery at the end of the month. Please let me know the products you want to order and I’ll do you my best deal.
Many thanks
James
James Robbins
0044 (0)7810 852326
cadencefishing.co.uk

From: support@cadencefishing.co.uk <support@cadencefishing.co.uk>
Sent: 01 June 2020 13:44
To: support UK <support@cadencefishing.co.uk>
Subject: New submission from Contact Us
Name
Richard Passwater
Email
d_passwater@gmx.co.uk
Order Number
New enquiry

I have a need for a dozen rods and reels for a little club I run. Four of the reels I wanted are the the CS10's which are currently showing as out of stock. Do you have any idea when these will become available?

Cheers Rich

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
I'm having a bit of trouble at the minute, although not Cadence' fault admittedly.

Ordered a pair of the CS10 5000 reels and to cut a long story short, i suspect DHL knocked the door, dumped them on the doorstep and thought "that'll do" and no sign of the package, driver had taken a picture though holding the package outside my house. So as far as DHL is concerned they would likely say the item is delivered.

Think i've been badgering James for about a month now trying to get this resolved, contact has been somewhat intermittant.

Hopefully i'll have a happy ending soon.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
From James Robbins:

Hi Richard?

We like to respond to customer questions and enquires as quickly as possible and pride ourselves on our customer service.

During the lock down we have done our best to maintain a ‘normal service’ but it has been rather challenging!

I’ve tried to answer as many messages as possible during this time (from the website, on social media and via personal email).

I guess some enquires do slip through the net occasionally, especially during the last few months when we’ve been managing the business through crazy times.

I have to say it’s certainly not because I couldn’t be bothered to reply!

Some days I’ve had to prioritise what I’m doing and I can assure you any issues relating to actual order deliveries of order quires have been dealt with swiftly.

Please have a look on our facebook page and website. We’ve had so many great comments and feedback from our customers during the lockdown period and after and we are really proud about them.

Due to some logistical problems with DHL in the last month or so, we have even started delivering the orders ourselves (myself and some of my local brand ambassadors), its worked really well and our customers have thanked us for the service and for literally ‘going the extra mile’.

With regard to the CS10 reel stock situation, we are pushing hard to get a firm delivery date but still don’t have one. As soon as we do then I will communicate to everyone that has contacted me and inform them.

I'm pleased I replied to your ‘test email’ today! As you can see I explained we are expecting delivery at the end of the month. I replied with my personal email and also gave my phone number so you could contact me if needed.

I’ve just checked my sent file and I’ve sent out 27 emails today from our website and personal enquires. If you like I’d happily share them with you and you can see they are not all for ‘big orders’.

In my defence I would say I’m catching up with all outstanding quires, now we are getting back to normal and working full time in the warehouse again.

With regards to your funny name ‘Dick Passwater’ it would be wrong of me to start second guessing or questioning someone’s name. However strange or suspicious it may be!

I notice on the forum you are called ‘Gentleman Fisherman’

If you or your friend need any more information relating to Cadence products please don’t hesitate to call me directly on the number I gave you.

Also like to pass on my personal email address to anyone else on the forum that may need to contact me: jcrobbins@cadencefishing.com

Many Thanks

James Robbins (that’s my real name ?)

Good for you for responding James. All of the above IS still the case though, even if a coincidence that it was the smaller enquiries left un-answered.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have to say whilst my one dealing with cadence did see a bit of a c*ck up as they were under pressure for Black Friday when I contacted them about it they were brilliant at communicating and resolving the issue.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
To provide some balance - there are many posts from members on here and other forums who have had direct telephone calls with James to help decide which rod to purchase. That's not the kind of service that you get with ANY other angling brand that I know of ... certainly not at the market point that Cadence operate at. Obviously part of that is because you can't purchase through a trusted tackle dealer - but certainly indicates a level of real commitment to customer service.

I should declare that I have no association with Cadence other than having bought two rods. I have, however, known James since 1994 and regard him as one of the most genuinly friendly people I know in fishing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Having been on the receiving end of running an online business in extraordinary times I can understand the complexities and complications of handling an influx of countless emails all chasing stock availability, order, and product enquiries.
Just as an example, say it takes you five minutes to read and reply to an email with the correct information, you can only reply to 12 in an hour, 96 in an eight hour day assuming no breaks, no phone calls, no other work, basically just committing yourself to doing nothing but answering and sending out emails.

It's okay when you have an office full of staff but most small businesses do not have that luxury.

In addition, you also get the calls 'why didn't you answer my emails?' when in reality they haven't been received because they've been sent to the wrong address, generally typos, or have been sent but ended up in the Junk mail folder for what ever reason.
Then you get the countless emails replying back to your email because the customer is still not satisfied with what you have told them and wants to have an email 'ping pong' conversation with you until they either prove their point and you concede to bring it to a close, and not to mention the spam emails and many other requests that come through.

On an average day, back here in the maggotdrowning basecamp, I must get in excess of 100 emails a day, some spam, some genuine, some member enquiries, some asking to buy day tickets, book matches, 'are we open?' - I don't know where these were mean't to be sent to :)
Then other business related emails, not to mention the other work that goes on in the background. That's after the junk has been filtered out.

Last edited:

Kojak

Just noticed this post and first thing I noticed was the name on the email!
I run my own business and receive lots of emails every day and they are sorted within minutes of being received with most being flagged to attend ASAP and in order and then there’s the junk and spam, and as soon as I see an email address that looks suspicious it is binned or reported so if you had sent an email to me with the name DICK PASSWATER you’d be where you deserved to be and that is in the bin!

Maybe you could use a more appropriate name such as Richard Head?

davej1981

Ive had no dealings with cadence myself, however i do know someone who is working with james on developing a new range. From what ive heard James sound like a decent bloke

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
to be fair kojak - that was only the "test email" that used the spurious name - the previous emails that hadn't had a response were (presumably) from a real name rather than an alias.
It does seem rather odd to go to those lengths to then post up on a fishing forum to attempt to discredit a brand/company.

I'd suggest that people should try the gear - or go to an event once they're running again. The utility and quality of the kit speaks for itself in my view.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I find it’s amazing how it always seems to be those that ‘have run businesses for x amount of years’ that have always had impeccable customer service, yet feel the need to try to show up other businesses for their own means, a sort of one-upmanship.
Yet those same people must know the complexities involved and I might be old fashioned but I wouldn't try to solicit a response by posting on a public forum where there is no saying that the company/business would read it in the first place.
It is our policy to notify businesses if there are any negative comments made on the forums regarding their business, which I did regarding the OP

Dave,

I did not state I gave impeccable service was just putting across that I have worked hard to ensure enquiries are answered and companies I have run with only 2 or 3 employees at most and usually only one of them in the office with me in any case.

I thought these forums were to air good and bad stuff! These are facts so why is it wrong to post them but right to say brilliant service and I love my new rod?

I’m not in the tackle trade, and it’s just exactly what it says frustration at not being answered.

Grimberian

But you are making complaints about the responsiveness to your email enquiries in some of the most difficult times for business.
It is currently believed that one quarter of UK staff are on furlough, leaving those that are still in offices to pick up the slack.
I'm sorry you didn't get the response you wanted, and an auto response explaining the situation at cadence might be a good idea going forward, but come on, companies are trying to survive and I can completely understand why they would prioritize an email with the possibility of a large order.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I thought these forums were to air good and bad stuff! These are facts so why is it wrong to post them but right to say brilliant service and I love my new rod?

They are but sometimes some don't come across as so Gentlemanly ;)

We are in unprecedented times, businesses are struggling not only re-staffing and ability to work but also the supply train for many has been affected and they cannot get stock in what used to be a timely manner. To publicly criticise a company at such time isn't really fair especially when most can see that they have previously provided good service.
Had they been poor prior to all this I could understand, although I still wouldn't agree with the way you went about it

PeteC

I'm the proud owner of a Cadence rod and for the price I paid I think it's a cracking piece of kit. I've never ever seen any adverse comments from people...in fact quite the opposite with only positive remarks about quality and service.
I've met and chatted to James on several occasions and have always found him a really genuine guy who puts a lot back into angling....Cadence donates a lot of starter kit for kids to get them into fishing and we all know how important that is.
Things must be pretty difficult for him and the trade in general at the moment and I don't believe that one overlooked email really warrants the response that it got.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Things must be pretty difficult for him and the trade in general at the moment and I don't believe that one overlooked email really warrants the response that it got
to be fair to the OP - he stated five emails without reply in the last fortnight all told (between two people).

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of my biggest gripes when running an online business, bearing in mind we were shifting some 800-1000 items a month, was not the customers who phoned or emailed enquiring about orders, but the ones that phoned constantly, three four times a day and sent multiple emails hoping it would get a faster response when the opposite was normally the case because it slowed down the whole process for everyone.

runningman

Site Supporter
To be fair to them they got straight back to me regards to a problem I have with one of their reels

GobioTractor

Speaking from my own experience, I have bought Cadence kit twice since their introduction. Both customer service and quality has been first class. Will definitely be a returning customer. How many other tackle companies would have the gaffer personally delivering orders!! Proper Job ??

Status
Not open for further replies.