Cadence Rods an Poles

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Below direct from Cadence web site

About the Cadence CR10 15ft Match Rod #0​

For anglers who like a float rod that is softer in the tip and down into the mid-section, the Cadence 15ft Zero is the ultimate all-rounder. Softer than the #1 by around 15%, it’s certainly no pushover and will find a place in most rod bags due to its sheer versatility. Perfect for bolo work when picking line up at distance, stick float fishing off the rod and for slider fishing.

So it’s actually 15% softer ( that’s going to be some nice light auctioned rod )

I’ve sent you a PM
Sounds good. Hopefully the big one show will be on again next year so can have a waggle. If there was was one on the cadence stand this year someone must have already been waggling it when I had a nosey ?

david white

Site Supporter
Still a relevantly recent addition if I recall ( it’s been a strange year mind ! ) and PM ought to be with you now

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
True may well have not been many of them about back then. This years big one show feels like a weird memory now as was at a time so close to lockdown that looking back it probably wasn't a terribly good idea!

PJG

A few months ago I bought a 15ft #0 Cadence float rod - very pleased with it! I use it on the Thames for roach, for laying-on at the bottom of the near shelf on the K&A canal and for float fishing on deep pits for roach. It has a lovely soft action but it is not sloppy. It is obviously a bit heavier than my 14ft Acolyte Ultra but still ok for trotting for lengthy periods. With those two rods I feel that I have the best of both options.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
A few months ago I bought a 15ft #0 Cadence float rod - very pleased with it! I use it on the Thames for roach, for laying-on at the bottom of the near shelf on the K&A canal and for float fishing on deep pits for roach. It has a lovely soft action but it is not sloppy. It is obviously a bit heavier than my 14ft Acolyte Ultra but still ok for trotting for lengthy periods. With those two rods I feel that I have the best of both options.
That’s good to hear ??

RMNDIL

I agree that the link is somewhat tenuous :) however I have only seen the Shakespeare and Cadence rods supplied in this shaped rod tube. In the same way that the older Drennan IM8 rods were supplied in a distinctive tube (Triangular).

However I think the real clue would be Mr J Robbins my dear Watson.
To an extent packaging is packaging. Older/original Drennan rods were sold in the triangular tubes but anyone who wanted to buy triangular tubes could have done the same (i'm sure some Fox rods were sold in black triangular tubes as well). But I totally agree with James being a very likely link. It's what you would do. Use a known and reliable source.

trotter2

Those #0 action rods sound a nice touch to the range
Well done cadence for bringing those forward, will have to have a look at them. ?

corkycat

A bit of a long winded reply but here goes anyway!

Five years ago when I moved to Herefordshire and started to fish the Wye. I decided to buy a long float rod and on the advice of my local tackle dealer as well as having watched a number of the Shakespeare videos presented by James Robbins I bought a 15ft Shakespeare Superteam rod. These videos were a great insight to many of the venues now on my doorstep and of course some of the tactics used to fish them.

Shortly after James left Shakespeare and started Cadence I was in the market for another 15ft float rod and a 13ft feeder rod. Having contacted James we arranged to meet after one of the Winter League rounds he fished at Hereford so I could try the rods. Being pleased with the feel etc I purchased a 15ft No1 float rod and a 13ft No3 feeder rod. I collected these from their Redditch warehouse and was impressed with their stock and spares setup.

Both rods have been a pleasure to use and I subsequently purchased a 13ft No3 float rod last summer at a Cadence rod show, again to try before buy.

I expect that my Shakespeare and Cadence rods have come from the same source but the Cadence rods are built from better quality materials. Under the Cadence banner James and his colleagues have been able to design a range of rods to cover practically every style of coarse fishing.

Quality and feel wise I put the Cadence rods well above my Shakespeare rod in terms of feel, action and weight but below the finesse of my Drennan Match Pro's. The closest comparison, in my experience, would be with my older Preston Carbonactives.

I also like the additional "ruggedness" over say the more delicate Drennans especially when fishing some of the more challenging (read slippery and treacherous!) river pegs. A pal of mine has supplemented his Acolytes for this very reason.

Additionally I notice that many of the competitors in the Winter League on the Wye, Hereford have Cadence rods in their armoury.

I also picked up two CS8 4000 reels during the first lockdown, at a bargain price, and so far they have been faultless and very pleasant to use, both for float and feeder work.

This is certainly not a Cadence "love in" just my experience and opinion.
Hi, regarding the Cadence CR10 #3 distance feeder rod, can you comment on the width of the guides please? Sorry if this sounds picky but I was about to buy a Matrix XD rod on the basis that it has wider guides to enhance good casting (especially with the shock leader knot), however I am now being drawn to the Cadence rod as it is about £50 cheaper, and the spare tips are only a tenner each! Their blurb describes the tip guides as "Fuji Alconite" - sounds impressive, but are they wide enough for distance casting? Thanks in advance.

david white

Site Supporter
The #3 rated feeder rods with the larger butt diameter quiver tips have considerably large guides to facilitate shock leader knots
Many of the rods are featured in the Cadence fishing videos on you tube from memory there’s one featuring a choice of ‘ favourites ‘ there’ couple on distance feeder fishing
There’s also a series of videos by Steve Cowley ( Steve’s fishing channel ? ) which are in the main about feeder fishing using Cadence rods

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
The #3 rated feeder rods with the larger butt diameter quiver tips have considerably large guides to facilitate shock leader knots
Many of the rods are featured in the Cadence fishing videos on you tube from memory there’s one featuring a choice of ‘ favourites ‘ there’ couple on distance feeder fishing
There’s also a series of videos by Steve Cowley ( Steve’s fishing channel ? ) which are in the main about feeder fishing using Cadence rods
I am a fan of most of the cadence gear I’ve bought, but I bought the 13ft no 3 feeder rod, and used it once, and I wasn’t impressed by it, the 1st eye was to close to the reel, and the handle was to short for distance casting, fair play to James robbins,, I sent it back for a full refund

Dropon

The tips on the 9 ft CR 10 feeder rod interchange with the Shakey 10 ft 6 in Mach 3 feeder which i have .

david white

Site Supporter
I am a fan of most of the cadence gear I’ve bought, but I bought the 13ft no 3 feeder rod, and used it once, and I wasn’t impressed by it, the 1st eye was to close to the reel, and the handle was to short for distance casting, fair play to James robbins,, I sent it back for a full refund
Think your comments are whilst a personal view are nonetheless relevant and may ( just may ) have contributed to the introduction of the distance feeder rod which ( I believe ) is a different beast altogether

Disclaimer I don’t fish the feeder enough to pass reviews on my Cadence feeder rods but I’ve had no issues with mine

The tips on the 9 ft CR 10 feeder rod interchange with the Shakey 10 ft 6 in Mach 3 feeder which i have .

My Cadence wand takes an old Drennan light feeder rod tip

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Hi, regarding the Cadence CR10 #3 distance feeder rod, can you comment on the width of the guides please? Sorry if this sounds picky but I was about to buy a Matrix XD rod on the basis that it has wider guides to enhance good casting (especially with the shock leader knot), however I am now being drawn to the Cadence rod as it is about £50 cheaper, and the spare tips are only a tenner each! Their blurb describes the tip guides as "Fuji Alconite" - sounds impressive, but are they wide enough for distance casting? Thanks in advance.
Corky, the butt ring is 14.5mm dia id and the tip ring is 3mm id.

I use the rod for both river and stillwater fishing. On rivers I use 8lb Sensor. On stillwaters I use 8lb Sensor, 5lb Maxima with an 8lb shockleader or braid with a shockleader depending on venue/quarry.. The diameter of the rings are fine for the shockleader knots I use.

Most of the time I am fishing between say 20 and 50 yards and am casting 2 to 3 oz feeders comfortably. On shorter river casts I've used 5oz feeders and the rod has handled these fine.

Although I have fished out to 75/80 yards with this rod I personally feel happiest using it out to 60 yards, basically as I feel the handle is too short for distance punching. I guess this is why Cadence now have a dedicated range of distance feeders. I like the handle length for the fishing I have described above.

Why not drop James Robbins a line and seek his advice? Tell him what you want from the rod and I'm sure he'll put you on the right rod in his range.