Cadence Rods an Poles

stikflote

Site Supporter
i read about these Cadence rods and poles on here
ive never seen one in the flesh ,so are they really good ??
i believe you can only buy from a web site is that right?
means you cant have a waggle with in your hand

rudd

Site Supporter
i read about these Cadence rods and poles on here
ive never seen one in the flesh ,so are they really good ??
i believe you can only buy from a web site is that right?
means you cant have a waggle with in your hand
Never seen or touched one.
Plenty of positive reviews on here, hardly been any complaints.
Must be OK and as good as any other mainstream brand.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Before the lockdown they were doing regular ‘roadshows’ around the country where you could handle (and buy) the rods. I assume that will restart when we return to normality.
There are a few videos showcasing the rods and reels, not the same as getting your mitts on one though.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I have four Cadence rods and can't fault them, now I am sure that there are much better rods around at a much higher price, but for the price point they are, I don't think anything matches them for quality.

Before Covid, Cadence used to have various roadshows around the country, where you could see and handle the range of rods.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have four Cadence rods and can't fault them, now I am sure that there are much better rods around at a much higher price, but for the price point they are, I don't think anything matches them for quality.

Before Covid, Cadence used to have various roadshows around the country, where you could see and handle the range of rods.
You will have to turn your office into a tackle store soon mate.??

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
You will have to turn your office into a tackle store soon mate.??

Funny you should say that Dave as the good lady suggested partioning a section of it off to keep kit in. :D I think she just wants it locked up out of sight. :ROFLMAO:

When does the ship dock with all your kit in mate and have the docks put extra labour on to unload it all ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I first came across them at the big one shows when I waggled a few of the range. Then got a 13ft CR10 #1 in last years Black Friday sale when they were going 2 for 1 and it has turned up to be a pretty good rod. Not sure it’s worth the £130 rrp, not so much it’s action as that’s about what you’d expect at that price point but it could be finished a bit nicer. However I’d certainly have spent over £100 for it and I’m sure it’ll forever be the best rod I’ve paid £65 for!

Only other cadence rod I’m really interested in is the 15ft #0 but again not at the £150 rrp would need a bit of a sale again.

In summary the one cadence I’ve got is very good rod but still nowhere near as good as other float rods I’ve used like acolytes and matchpros. But to be fair you wouldn’t really expect it to be as even if you added a tackle shop mark up to its price it would still be a fair bit cheaper than say an acolyte or signature pro.

solwood

Site Supporter
I bought the 2 of the rod and reel kits on a 241 deal

At full price 70 for the rod and reel is okay, the reel a CS5 is lovely but only one spool when in the kit. The 13ft rod was for me not as nice as the 10ft. That said probably on a par with many £50 rods

As it was 241 each set cost me £35 and for that a bargain

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got a couple of CR10 #2 10ft feeder rods and as people have said, they're really good value for the money.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I was one of the first anglers on this site to buy and report on the float rod.
three years on, i’m still very happy with that purchase.

like any distance selling you can send a rod back if you don’t like it after a waggle.
not many shops have a large selection of rods to compare anyway.
if you email or phone with your needs, you should also get a recommendation of which model to buy.

of course, different rods will suit different people ... so it May not be right for you.

squimp

Site Supporter
I bought an 11ft No 1 rod when they were discounted to about £80.

Its a very decent bit of kit - nice light action, well built and pretty good rings and reel fitting.

I broke it clean in two (my fault) and Cadence replaced the bottom section for what I thought was a very reasonable £30 ish.

I also bought a lightly used 4000 CS8 reel that somebody was selling very cheap. I’ve only used it a couple of times but it is pretty good Overall and very smooth. It is also extremely light.

My only issue is that the spools are very deep and take ‘too much’ (IMO) line.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
A bit of a long winded reply but here goes anyway!

Five years ago when I moved to Herefordshire and started to fish the Wye. I decided to buy a long float rod and on the advice of my local tackle dealer as well as having watched a number of the Shakespeare videos presented by James Robbins I bought a 15ft Shakespeare Superteam rod. These videos were a great insight to many of the venues now on my doorstep and of course some of the tactics used to fish them.

Shortly after James left Shakespeare and started Cadence I was in the market for another 15ft float rod and a 13ft feeder rod. Having contacted James we arranged to meet after one of the Winter League rounds he fished at Hereford so I could try the rods. Being pleased with the feel etc I purchased a 15ft No1 float rod and a 13ft No3 feeder rod. I collected these from their Redditch warehouse and was impressed with their stock and spares setup.

Both rods have been a pleasure to use and I subsequently purchased a 13ft No3 float rod last summer at a Cadence rod show, again to try before buy.

I expect that my Shakespeare and Cadence rods have come from the same source but the Cadence rods are built from better quality materials. Under the Cadence banner James and his colleagues have been able to design a range of rods to cover practically every style of coarse fishing.

Quality and feel wise I put the Cadence rods well above my Shakespeare rod in terms of feel, action and weight but below the finesse of my Drennan Match Pro's. The closest comparison, in my experience, would be with my older Preston Carbonactives.

I also like the additional "ruggedness" over say the more delicate Drennans especially when fishing some of the more challenging (read slippery and treacherous!) river pegs. A pal of mine has supplemented his Acolytes for this very reason.

Additionally I notice that many of the competitors in the Winter League on the Wye, Hereford have Cadence rods in their armoury.

I also picked up two CS8 4000 reels during the first lockdown, at a bargain price, and so far they have been faultless and very pleasant to use, both for float and feeder work.

This is certainly not a Cadence "love in" just my experience and opinion.

Last edited:

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
I have the CP200 6mtr whip and it is excellent for the price, can't fault it. I also have, (or should I say will have when I unwrap them - wifey has bought me them for Christmas), a pair of CS10 4000 Match Reels. Whilst I'm not allowed to fish with them until Christmas I have been allowed to 'check them out' before she put them away and I have to say they are as smooth - if not smoother - than any of my Shimano's, (Stradics and Aero's), so looking forward to using them in anger.

So far, for the price, I'm impressed.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Unlike the rods - which are designed and manufactured for the UK market - most of the reel models are the same as available from the pre-existing USA Cadence operation. It should be possible to find some other reviews from USA websites.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I have 6 Cadence rods.....excellent bits of kits and allows me to have the correct rod (or duplicates) for my budget.
there are defo better rods out there but not at this price point and that is the key USP - Quality at VFM.

I have reels from Cs5 to Cs8 and have to say I like the CS5 best of all, cant really say why it just feels right and performs really well

Noticed that prices are just creeping up a little, (prob increased container rates from China) and getting into the realms of being too close price wise to Acolytes so my next purchase might be a little longer whilst I save the few extra pennies.

satinet

Site Supporter
A bit of a long winded reply but here goes anyway!

Five years ago when I moved to Herefordshire and started to fish the Wye. I decided to buy a long float rod and on the advice of my local tackle dealer as well as having watched a number of the Shakespeare videos presented by James Robbins I bought a 15ft Shakespeare Superteam rod. These videos were a great insight to many of the venues now on my doorstep and of course some of the tactics used to fish them.

Shortly after James left Shakespeare and started Cadence I was in the market for another 15ft float rod and a 13ft feeder rod. Having contacted James we arranged to meet after one of the Winter League rounds he fished at Hereford so I could try the rods. Being pleased with the feel etc I purchased a 15ft No1 float rod and a 13ft No3 feeder rod. I collected these from their Redditch warehouse and was impressed with their stock and spares setup.

Both rods have been a pleasure to use and I subsequently purchased a 13ft No3 float rod last summer at a Cadence rod show, again to try before buy.

I expect that my Shakespeare and Cadence rods have come from the same source but the Cadence rods are built from better quality materials. Under the Cadence banner James and his colleagues have been able to design a range of rods to cover practically every style of coarse fishing.

Quality and feel wise I put the Cadence rods well above my Shakespeare rod in terms of feel, action and weight but below the finesse of my Drennan Match Pro's. The closest comparison, in my experience, would be with my older Preston Carbonactives.

I also like the additional "ruggedness" over say the more delicate Drennans especially when fishing some of the more challenging (read slippery and treacherous!) river pegs. A pal of mine has supplemented his Acolytes for this very reason.

Additionally I notice that many of the competitors in the Winter League on the Wye, Hereford have Cadence rods in their armoury.

I also picked up two CS8 4000 reels during the first lockdown, at a bargain price, and so far they have been faultless and very pleasant to use, both for float and feeder work.

This is certainly not a Cadence "love in" just my experience and opinion.
Do you think superteam and Mach rods were made at the same place? I've got a 12ft superteam feeder rod and 12ft mach 3xt feeder. The superteam is really light for a feeder (under 170g I think). The Mach and the super team are quite different looking.

I like the look of cadence stuff. I really fancy a 13ft #1 float rod. I recently snapped my Mach 3xt match rod (top section). Kind of out of my price range right now though.

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Do you think superteam and Mach rods were made at the same place? I've got a 12ft superteam feeder rod and 12ft mach 3xt feeder. The superteam is really light for a feeder (under 170g I think). The Mach and the super team are quite different looking.

I like the look of cadence stuff. I really fancy a 13ft #1 float rod. I recently snapped my Mach 3xt match rod (top section). Kind of out of my price range right now though.
Don't know about the Mach rods but based my view on my Superteam 15' float rod probably coming from the same source as the Cadence rods because of the following points.
  1. James being the main man at Shakespeare prior to starting Cadence UK
  2. The rod tubes being identical

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter

the superteam range replaced the mach3 in shakespeare’s line up. My understanding is that they were a slight downgrade, albeit still very capable rods. NB. Not to be confused with the superteam LXL long rods that were contemporary to the Mach 3 and shared the same blank at 13ft.
given James Robbins’ involvement in all three ranges, I’d agree that the float rods will probably share a common design ethos.

If your snapped rod is the “standard” mach3xt (not the lite or 13’6” power) then the cadence #2 is the equivalent. BUT the cadence has a softer tip section action which means you can use finer hook lengths and smaller hooks ... but also still have the power for the larger chub and medium sized barbel (as a river angler). I have all four of these rods (the three versions of the Mach3 blank and the cadence).

satinet

Site Supporter
I tend to fish with my frenzee precision 13' rod over the shakey because the line pick up is quite a bit faster. Quite tippy kind of rod. Not as through action. Still a bit gutted I broke the Mach 3xt though.

I have got the 13'6 power match and 12ft feeder in the Mach 3xt range. All nice rods. When I got back in to fishing a few years ago they were being sold off on eBay as you might remember. And I've got the superteam 12' feeder. I only got that because AD were banging them out at 25 notes a while back. In hindsight I tend to find short feeder rods are more useful.

Actually I've got a daiwa SR3 match rod on the way off eBay. Supposed to weigh 150g so that should be interesting.

Anyway going off topic. The cadence stuff looks nice. I'm really tempted to press the button on the light match rod but have to save a few pennies first.

The super team and Mach 3xt rods also have identical tubes.