Cadence CS5 Reel

Dusty

Site Supporter
I took advantage of Cadences BOGOF offer earlier this year and bought 2 of the Cadence CS5 reels for myself and a friend.

We opted for the 3000 size and due to the offer they worked out at around £25 each of memory serves me right.

Initial thoughts on the reel were good, they feel really solid and well made. They came supplied with 2 spools. I’ve spooled mine up with 6lb and 8lb line for method feeder fishing or using the Pellet Wag. The reel took around 100m of 6lb line and slightly less 8lb line which is more than adequate for anything I’ll throw at it.

Ive used the reel twice now including extensive use at a commercial fishery fishing the method tight to the island and I am very impressed.
The CS5 sits perfectly on a short feeder rod, I combined mine with a 9FT Daiwa feeder rod and it felt very well balanced. I’ve also attached it to my 11FT pellet waggler rod and again it felt very nice even with a longer rod.

Pros And Cons

Pros

Very good price particularly with the BOGOF offer
Well made and Robust
2 spools supplied
Excellent line retrieval
Small and compact

Really smooth drag - great for playin

Cons
I’m not a massive fan of the reel handle, you have to wind to tighten it and I’ve found on a few occasions you have to retighten during the session.

I found the line clip a little bit fiddly.

Verdict

Immensely Impressed with this reel, I’m probably being harsh with the two negatives I have given as frankly I couldn’t find anything other negative points. Even if I had paid the full £50 for the reel I would feel it was a worthy investment so if you can take advantage of any of the BOGOF offers you will get a bargain reel.

9/10.. would be a 10 if I liked the reel handle but each to their own I suppose.

Bigtonyd

I recieved 2 of these this week, a 4000 and a free 3000. It took me a little while to figure the handles out!!! Like you though I am happy over all with them. £25 a reel is a real bargain!!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I got a 4000 CS7 as a freebie but I could have done with it being a 3000 as I haven't got a need for another 4000 reel at the moment so it's just sat in its box. Regarding the screw down handles I think it's an American thing as I have another American reel (a 3500 pflueger president) that has the same thing and I've used a couple other reels in the US with the same set up.

runningman

Site Supporter
I have to agree with you on both the handel and the line clip , they are very good value

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The handle is not really a problem if you’re not a backwinder. Normally I am a backwinder but only with lighter tackle so luckily the reels I have with that handle are too big to worry about that but it would annoy me if I had it on a float reel lol

Dusty

Site Supporter
The handle is not really a problem if you’re not a backwinder. Normally I am a backwinder but only with lighter tackle so luckily the reels I have with that handle are too big to worry about that but it would annoy me if I had it on a float reel lol

Im not a backwinder but found the handle coming slightly loose towards the end of the session requiring retightening.

lp1886

Site Supporter
I got a 4000 CS7 as a freebie but I could have done with it being a 3000 as I haven't got a need for another 4000 reel at the moment so it's just sat in its box. Regarding the screw down handles I think it's an American thing as I have another American reel (a 3500 pflueger president) that has the same thing and I've used a couple other reels in the US with the same set up.

I’ve heard they are small for the size, what is the spool diameter of the 4000?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not sure on the diameter off the top of my head. Its slightly smaller than a standard 4000 but is still a fair bit bigger than your average 3000 and slightly bigger than my aforementioned 3500 pflueger president.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I’ve heard they are small for the size, what is the spool diameter of the 4000?

From what I remember it's either 50 or 52mm, I have a 2500 Daiwa that I remember was bigger when I checked.

Pikerwoods

Just received a pair of CR7 4000 reels. Those folding handles are same the old Shakespeare Mach 3 had.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I’m surprised by the handle comments, I’ve used 3 cadence reels for 2 years and never had one loosen, I’m a backwinder (plus clutch) guy.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve not had one loosen on me I just suspect it would with backwinding but maybe it wouldn’t.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I’m surprised by the handle comments, I’ve used 3 cadence reels for 2 years and never had one loosen, I’m a backwinder (plus clutch) guy.

It may have been operator error mate. I’ll get some more use out of it in the coming weeks and report back 👍

Owen1923

Got a pair of CS8s a couple of weeks ago, first opportunity to use them was yesterday, back winding didn’t create any issues.

lp1886

Site Supporter
From what I remember it's either 50 or 52mm, I have a 2500 Daiwa that I remember was bigger when I checked.
Nice one. Sounds like a cadence 4000 is similar to a Daiwa 3012 then.
i’m tempted to bite the bullet and go for a pair of CS8 or CS10 reels, certainly great value for money on the bogof deal. The alternative is a pair of Ninjas.

Brian Lody

Site Supporter
If you are having the handle loosen when backwinding it is because you didn't tighten it up enough.
Hold the spool firmly and tighten harder.
I use Shimano OCs with screw in handles.
How well built are the cadence reels ? Could you put more torque on the handle thread ?

I like screw in handles and wish more UK reels had them.

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
I took advantage of Cadences BOGOF offer earlier this year and bought 2 of the Cadence CS5 reels for myself and a friend.

We opted for the 3000 size and due to the offer they worked out at around £25 each of memory serves me right.

Initial thoughts on the reel were good, they feel really solid and well made. They came supplied with 2 spools. I’ve spooled mine up with 6lb and 8lb line for method feeder fishing or using the Pellet Wag. The reel took around 100m of 6lb line and slightly less 8lb line which is more than adequate for anything I’ll throw at it.

Ive used the reel twice now including extensive use at a commercial fishery fishing the method tight to the island and I am very impressed.
The CS5 sits perfectly on a short feeder rod, I combined mine with a 9FT Daiwa feeder rod and it felt very well balanced. I’ve also attached it to my 11FT pellet waggler rod and again it felt very nice even with a longer rod.

Pros And Cons

Pros

Very good price particularly with the BOGOF offer
Well made and Robust
2 spools supplied
Excellent line retrieval
Small and compact

Really smooth drag - great for playin

Cons
I’m not a massive fan of the reel handle, you have to wind to tighten it and I’ve found on a few occasions you have to retighten during the session.

I found the line clip a little bit fiddly.

Verdict

Immensely Impressed with this reel, I’m probably being harsh with the two negatives I have given as frankly I couldn’t find anything other negative points. Even if I had paid the full £50 for the reel I would feel it was a worthy investment so if you can take advantage of any of the BOGOF offers you will get a bargain reel.

9/10.. would be a 10 if I liked the reel handle but each to their own I suppose.
I couldn't have written a review any better, you say absolutely what i have found.
The only minor thing I would add is that I feel the sizes are slightly smaller than the "normal" 3000 & 4000 size reels I have (Shimano;, Daiwa TDM; Matrix Horizons)

I have been so impressed that I have pairs of Cs5's; 7's & 8's, buying low priced reels but not compromising on quality.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I couldn't have written a review any better, you say absolutely what i have found.
The only minor thing I would add is that I feel the sizes are slightly smaller than the "normal" 3000 & 4000 size reels I have (Shimano;, Daiwa TDM; Matrix Horizons)

I have been so impressed that I have pairs of Cs5's; 7's & 8's, buying low priced reels but not compromising on quality.

Thanks mate 👍

Myself and my mate also found them slightly smaller than expected but I actually prefer it this way.
I’ll certainly be buying more Cadence gear. 👍