CADENCE 11' #1 FLOAT ROD

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
After solely using Daiwa tackle for the last 15 years I've been looking for a short Daiwa float rod for the canal in vain. Gone have the days of manufactures making canal type rods... Or so I thought!

I'd heard of Cadence firstly through the Maggot Drowners forum, then Cadence YouTube videos, before Carl Chadwick highly recommended them.

With the canal now so clear it's currently a big no no putting thirteen metres of carbon over the fishes heads, hence a small canal grey waggler comes into its own in conjunction with a light waggler rod.

So after the heads up from Mr Cadence himself, James Robbins that the Cadence 11' #1 Float Rod was back in stock today I finally got the chance to purchase one which I did. With High quality but Low prices even the wife Michelle Sutcliffe-Bland is happy, almost as much as I am ??

Tight Lines Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_092113.jpg
    IMG_20200724_092113.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 24

david white

Site Supporter
Great choice cracking rod at a cracking price but just a word of warning it’s very difficult buying just one Cadence product!!
that’s all I’m prepared to say .............

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve got the 13ft and it’s certainly a decent rod for the money. Unless the 11ft is different it’s certainly not a particularly light actioned out and out silvers rod though, more of a light Allrounder. Better than daiwas current offerings though unless you spend triple the price that’s for sure! Proper silvers rods are rare though tbf only really Drennan, browning, garbolino and from what I’ve heard rive do them really with maver and to a lesser extent shimano getting fairly close.

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
I’ve got the 13ft and it’s certainly a decent rod for the money. Unless the 11ft is different it’s certainly not a particularly light actioned out and out silvers rod though, more of a light Allrounder. Better than daiwas current offerings though unless you spend triple the price that’s for sure! Proper silvers rods are rare though tbf only really Drennan, browning, garbolino and from what I’ve heard rive do them really with maver and to a lesser extent shimano getting fairly close.
As I mainly fish the cut its the 11' length I'm after. This size is as rare as hens teeth be it Drennan, Tricast or any other. Is it the 13' #1 or #2 that you have?

gixer 13

Site Supporter
I have the 11#1 floatt rod it's a brilliant light line roach rod perfect for canals and small ponds. First two matche's I used it I won when others were on the pole and it's got enough power to land a bonus bream or tench. I use mine with an abu 506

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I basically use my #1 when fishing for silvers on stereotypical commercials where you can’t avoid carp as it has just enough power to deal with them when they frequently crash the party. On rivers and more natural style stocked Stillwaters where big fish are maybe only a once a day interruption I use an acolyte ultra as it’s more of an out and out silvers rod than the #1 which is more at the lighter end of the allrounder spectrum.

david white

Site Supporter
Silverfisher
Not intending to contradict your observations ( as opinions and ‘ feel ‘ of rods are purely subjective and highly individual of course )
but comparing the #1 against the #2 11 foot rods in my opinion the #2 would be my choice as an all rounder ( never used the acolyte so cannot compare the Cadence 11 fts against it )
the #2 13 ft I’d also class as between the Normark Titan 2000 and Normark Avenger in action ( slightly more power than the Titan but considerably less than the Avenger, once again pure subjection if you haven’t used the Normarks )
if I fished the float at 13 ft more often ( the rivers up here are more suited to 15 - 20 ft rods being somewhat deeper than the rivers I used to fish down south ) I’d favour the #1 Cadence BUT I’ve already got the Titan 2000 and if it ain’t broke .....
What I can say is I’ve used the 11 ft #1 coupled with an Abu 501 2 lb maxima light hooklink and 20 or 18 hooks on the GUC at Harefield and it just feels ‘ right ‘ ( for me ! ) especially as the Normark Microlight 2000 12 ft ( which I’ve already got and used for nigh on 30 years ) is getting hard to source in decent undamaged condition but if I can get away with the extra 1 ft ( over head trees etc permitting ) the Microlight would be my first choice ( as befitting the considerable RRP when new differences )
as mentioned elsewhere if the fish are backing off from the pole over their heads a light waggler set up works far better

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah it is very subjective. It’s not that the cadence is heavy actioned far from it it’s slightly just heavier actioned than the drennan so in my arsenal of rods it gets used more in the allrounder category and the drennan the out and out silvers category. The drennan is definitely a better rod than the cadence for silvers as it’s a bit quicker and crisper action on the cast, strike and mend then more forgiving for fish playing but that latter aspect means you do start to lose control of fish once they get around the 4-5lb mark. I haven’t found that to be the case with the cadence as it’s just got a little more back bone for steering fish, wouldn’t say you are in control with it but are certainly closer to it than with the drennan.

I’d also add that I do like my gear on the sporty side so I do tend to err on the lighter side with it so that adds to the subjectiveness. What I consider as medium strength gear is probably light in some other people’s books ??

Last edited:

david white

Site Supporter
Fully understand your well written reply, what I consider light tackle for the river venues on the Yorkshire Ouse and Derwent would most likely be considered ‘ heathen ‘ on the Thames venues I fished 20 odd years ago but it’s all about using balance tackle you feel comfortable with ( wish I had £1 for every time I’ve been told you don’t want to be using an Abu 501 on a still water !! )
Sometimes I wish my 30 odd year old gear wasn’t of such great quality but hand on heart I don’t think I’m actually missing out on the likes of acolytes and tdrs ( what I’ve got suits and Cadence gear fills the gaps )