By Design or By Accident?

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
A while ago I was fishing the R. Coquet in Northumberland specifically for small wild Brown Trout on light tackle when a Sea Trout of 4lb took my fly. It was to be my PB ST. Although it was obviously a returning Brown Trout from the sea, I was well pleased with myself.
Do you get a better sense of elation when you catch your intended quarry or when you catch a specimen of a different species unintentionally?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember the first time I caught a Trout by accident, I hooked something that zipped about at lightning speed and I had no idea it would be a Brown Trout. Though I have had it a lot as I've fished a lot of new to me venues they no longer come as a surprise once I've had a few, for example, I'm not longer that surprised when I hook a Bream on the local small river when Chub fishing, my presumed Roach venue is now my Tench venue, and I always expect a couple of big Perch when fishing a commercial I go to now.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Caught a 16lb Salmon when Barbel fishing on the river Teme, was one of the best fishing experiences and fights of my angling life.
Not sure what all the fuss is about with this game fishing. :ROFLMAO:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is a nice feeling catching something by design but I’m quite happy to catch stuff by fluke as well. A caught fish is a caught fish after all.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
If i was fishing for pike and managed to get a big zander or catfish id be pretty chuffed even though they're not something I fish for.

If I caught a river carp or a massive bream when barbel fishing I wouldn't turn my nose up either.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Erm.... I'm not sure. I've been fortunate this year to have gone out to fish with the intention of beating my PB Tench and/or Bream, and doing just that. I researched the water, planned exactly what I wanted to do and now to fish, made slightly different rigs and beat my PB tench and my PB bream 3 times in one overnight session. That was definitely satisfying!

My attention then turned to barbel. My PB had been a few oz short of 10lb for years, and I knew I could beat it on the waters I was fishing. Blank. Blank. Blank. Bream, which would have been my PB a month earlier. Blank. 11.10 :) That was more like relief.

The previous summer (2019), I was on a carp session of 36 hours. I had one run, screaming off on a piece of pepperami topped with fake corn. It ended up tripling (plus a bit) my PB zander. Absolutely loved that.

So slightly different emotions, but the bream/tench session will live on in my mind for a long time.

Silver fan 82

I think if you are fishing for a specific specices and catch said species, especially if its a specimen then that's always a great feeling but also if I was fishing for carp and caught decent Bream then I wouldn't be disappointed. This happened to me. Was carp fishing but catching decent Bream on carp tackle and rigs. I didn't know there were Bream in this water so went back a week or so later with the feeder gear and beat my PB Bream several times over in one session. So I would say either by design or fluke can't be a bad thing?

ATTICUS FINCH

Fluff chucking on wierwood Res when I had a couple of accident catches ,I had jus caught a stockie rainbow and dropped the fly in the water whilst I dispatched the trout . picked up the rod and the line was leaving the rings at a decent rate of knots .turned out to be a jack pike around three pounds. The very next proper cast saw a ferocious take that fought long and hard staying deep. The landing net eventually slipping under an eight pound mirror carp. Total accidental captures but was a very pleasant event

62tucker

Site Supporter
Done similar in stream up from coquet. Size 18 and small worm on spinning rod. Hook a sea trout. Basically kept it where I hooked it and walked down river to land it. Never caught one since in there. At least 20 years ago.
Also remember stopping at Felton and watching the sea trout. 100s of them.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Two local rivers have a decent run of the silver ones, both Chalk streams

the river Dour in dover (internationally recognised as an important stream for wild brownies)

and the River great stour

wonderful fish and ive never really targetted them and every one has been caught when fishing for the stockie rainbows

I never take a brownie or a sea trout, they deserve to be put back