Buzzers Pond - Kirkbymoorside, North Yorks

fadgewacker

Nice quiet little pond, although very shallow, the fish will feed round the margins and any features almost all day. Owner is a top bloke. He'll set you right on most things in life :)

Fished to the point of the reeds with cupped groundbait with micros and 6mm's, and a slack handful of corn. Double corn on the hook, and had a decent night.

7 carp, between 3.5lb about 8lb (the pictured common), 6 skimmers, biggest (not pictured) was around 2.75lb, 2 crucians, 2 tench (2lb ish), 12-16 roach, 4 chub (2lb ish) and 4 dace.

58758939918__FEEBED01-2D54-47AC-9BC7-382A09DA521C.JPG

IMG_1342.JPEG

IMG_1343.JPEG

IMG_1346.JPEG

fadgewacker

Yeah it was actually... I wasted the first hour as I'd targeted a lily bed as line #1 and then across to to the reeds as line #2, but from another peg.
Turns out my estimation skills aren't what they once were and the reeds were 14.5m away, which I could reach, but missed bites and cupping was a nightmare. My lily pad line was VERY shallow too... so had to move nearer to the reeds. I could reach both feed points from the new peg on about 9m, so ll good :)

Had a couple of fish from the lily pad line on a very short rig when I lost a biggie and was letting the reed line recover, but the reed line kept me busy enough all night to barely pay attention to to the shallow one. Was good fun :)

david white

Site Supporter
Lovely short session venue about 1/4 mile from where I live, it can be a great winter venue if ice free as it normally has extra water on and the carp are far less active
Dace ?
you sure they weren’t small Ide ?

fadgewacker

My eldest child didn't have the confidence to fish by herself the first time we went to Buzzers, so she helped me feed the swim, land some fish and I allowed her to play a really nice chub, but last night, after an hour or so she asked me to set her up. I got a little 6m Middy carp margin pole for her from a mate so whipped the dibber rig off my shallow top 2 and , it was fortunately set 1 1/2" overdepth for her little peg when we plumbed it up :)
She sat with a box of mixed pellets and corn, fed a couple of swims to "keep them interested" and fished about 4m out near a little patch of lilies.

https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/attachments/img_1385-jpeg.19893/

She'd been watching me for a session and a half bullying fish away from pads or reeds, so she'd seen the required strike, and before long she'd almost knocked me on the head with a small roach that flew clean out of the water, and sadly (at the time) bumped off, once it'd completed it's flying lesson.

Half hour later, with great strain in her voice, "Dad.... I think I've got a carp!"

How she managed to hold it out of the lilies and get it into open water, I don't know - but she did. A good 6 or 7 mins later (and after some savage runs) I intercepted it's path with the net. A lovely ghostie ~ 10lb!

She was buzzing, and it was a very proud moment. What a first ever fish!! A quick photo, and back it went. I think we'll be going fishing again.

https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/attachments/img_1386-jpeg.19894/

fadgewacker

Exactly. Not sure how we can follow that up, but we’re going to Wykeham this afternoon to try :)

fadgewacker

Had a shortish session here on Saturday morning... was an early start and an early finish (13:30). I was seriously rusty on the bank after not having a go ince October.

Chucked a little pellet feeder out to 5 yards short of the far bank with a 6mm wafter and a size 18 hook, just as a sleeper, and proceeded to dob a bit of bread around... Useless dobbing the bread. There is a load more water in than usual (it is usually VERY shallow), and the marginal features that look inviting are in almost no water... it slowly increases in depth, before a foot or so shelf and another gradual slope down to about 5ft... really, it wanted a couple of lines feeding from the start as any obvious fish holding feature wasn't able to be targeted as a dobbing option. Stupid decision.

Anyhow, abandoned the dobbing, and cupped a few flavoured micros 4mms and fishing a 4mm expander, first chuck I had a couple of knocks before the float buried and my 8 elastic was tested by this beautifully coloured ghostie - fat little fella, probably about 5lb or so.

kOyr7dD.jpg

Silvers for the rest of the day, barring a little baby carp, but had a good bit of sport. 16 skimmers / bream to 1.5lb, 4 nice roach, 4 little hybrids and a little brown goldfish to boot.

As luck would have it, I'd just got the feeding right (rusty... .very rusty, as I said before) and was getting bites with regularity from both of my bottom of the slope swims, but duty called. Regardless, it was nice to be back on the bank.

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Fadgewacker, have you fished the pond at Sherburn adjacent to caravan park? sorry dont know its proper name. :unsure:

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
The pond you are asking about is Brooklands caravan park cracking venue this time of year for silvers roach,rudd,chubb, and skimmers.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
And some anglers put their best away come winter. Look at the sport they are missing. Well done fella. Great read and some lovely pics. Well done to your daughter. How that carp didn't pull her in I don't know. ??

fadgewacker

Fadgewacker, have you fished the pond at Sherburn adjacent to caravan park? sorry dont know its proper name. :unsure:
Sounds like Brooklands to me. I've had a look, but not fished it. Nice little venue with lots of features and an undercut island. There's not a lot of room around the water for shipping back a pole, so you'd need to break it down in sections. It's a bit tight.

If you want to have a go at this time of year, I was told I'd need to ring to see if I'd be allowed by the old dear that runs the show... She was less than friendly... Her son (I assume) had a little chat with me while I had a look about, and it was he that mentioned the island undercut, so if you can get near to that, you'll have a chance of some decent fish... Might be better at the bottom of the shelves in the main at this time of year however.
Fishing - Brooklands Holiday Cottages, Caravan Park & Fishing Lake

Last edited:

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Sounds like Brooklands to me. I've had a look, but not fished it. Nice little venue with lots of features and an undercut island. There's not a lot of room around the water for shipping back a pole, so you'd need to break it down in sections. It's a bit tight.

If you want to have a go at this time of year, I was told I'd need to ring to see if I'd be allowed by the old dear that runs the show... She was less than friendly... Her son (I assume) had a little chat with me while I had a look about, and it was he that mentioned the island undercut, so if you can get near to that, you'll have a chance of some decent fish... Might be better at the bottom of the shelves in the main at this time of year however.
Fishing - Brooklands Holiday Cottages, Caravan Park & Fishing Lake
Thats the one pal, stayed on there a few nights with our touring caravan about 15yr ago, ive since got a seasonal pitch on Wolds Way C. and C. just off A64 other side of Rillington so looking to search out a few venues in area when we start new season in march. (y) Tight lines.

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
Thats the one pal, stayed on there a few nights with our touring caravan about 15yr ago, ive since got a seasonal pitch on Wolds Way C. and C. just off A64 other side of Rillington so looking to search out a few venues in area when we start new season in march. (y) Tight lines.
There are a few nice little venues within a 20-30 minute drive of your caravan base.

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Looks a nice little apartment and fishing. Type of place the wife and I could stay and visit her sister in Whitby