Buying tackle because of love at first sight

Kyon Thinh

Well, you see, the other day I was at the tackle shop, just looking around for some hooks. Then in the pole and whip stands I saw a beautiful white whip. Suddenly I lost my memory and the second I am awake again, I was at home holding it and my account was some dozen Euros emptier. I'm glad I am not yet married otherwise I would sleep on the street that day. Did you guys ever buy tackle because of the aesthetic and not just the handling too?

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
For me handling, action, composition and construction first, eye candy second! Having said that, I am drawn to a black and red combo which inclines me to look at Daiwa, Browning Black Viper, and Xitan kit first for their best available gear. I have quite a bit of Preston, and Guru equipment as well, so I do tend to shop around in, I guess, a limited way. I can't explain clearly why I don't look at other brands like Maver for example. Is it the colour scheme that puts me off? The fact that I've not seen them in a tackle shop and had a "0ne on one interaction" with them, or just that I see no reason to move away from a selection of manufacturers that I am perfectly happy with after years of trying out different gear!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
About 35 years ago I had popped in to my local tackle shop to buy a packet of hooks.
My eye was caught by a Young's Purist II centrepin reel on the shelf.
A little note was attached to the reel box, "For the fisherman who knows that there is more to fishing than catching fish ..."
Of course, I bought it.
All these years later, it regularly sees the light of day, and still spins beautifully.
I might even use it for fishing, one of these days.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Did you guys ever buy tackle because of the aesthetic and not just the handling too?
Guilty as charged. I have, and have had a lot of Italian tackle, mainly Milo and Trabucco, rods,reels, seat boxes. They just look so much classier. They are good mainly, whether any better than common stuff, no idea. As the saying goes- why fit in when you were born to stand out.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've bought tackle because I liked the look of it without really handling it. Match Box for one. I kind of wish I'd handled it a bit more first because although I like the aesthetic, in use it's a bit different.

Total

Site Supporter
I can’t see you ever parting with that rod Mark. After all you’ve had your Ford Mondeo 27 years for goodness sake. You make Dave look like a big spender. 🤣🤣
^^ 24 years old hactually and I've had it about 10 years!:rolleyes::p....And as our main motor (VW Sharran) was over 32 grand etc etc, I definitely make Dave look like a small spender!;):love::ROFLMAO:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
^^ 24 years old hactually and I've had it about 10 years!:rolleyes::p....And as our main motor (VW Sharran) was over 32 grand etc etc, I definitely make Dave look like a small spender!;):love::ROFLMAO:

Has Mrs Total let you in it yet ? You must be frozen riding about on the roof rack. 🤣🤣

inky finger

Guilty as charged. I have, and have had a lot of Italian tackle, mainly Milo and Trabucco, rods,reels, seat boxes. They just look so much classier. They are good mainly, whether any better than common stuff, no idea. As the saying goes- why fit in when you were born to stand out.
Same love of Italy. Tubertini R18 match float rods and Colmic superior float rod they look like custom rods and have fine actions and balance. Shame they are so hard to see in the flesh in this country. The Tubertini's in particular have a very tip action which is uncommon in this country and may interest many float anglers. There is a video or two online if you search for Tubertini R18 Match. Fishing tackle and bait in Ireland is were got mine from.

Shadrack

Site Supporter
Oh yes! I once entered my local tackle shop for a pint of maggots and left with £200 worth of Acolyte rod. Most expensive pint of maggots I’ve ever bought!
Reminds me of the time I went to fetch eggs to make an omelette for breakfast and got slapped with a speeding fine at the same time. A £102 omelette.

Eric18

Same love of Italy. Tubertini R18 match float rods and Colmic superior float rod they look like custom rods and have fine actions and balance. Shame they are so hard to see in the flesh in this country. The Tubertini's in particular have a very tip action which is uncommon in this country and may interest many float anglers. There is a video or two online if you search for Tubertini R18 Match. Fishing tackle and bait in Ireland is were got mine from.
Yep, I'm addicted to Trabucco fishing stuff. Have bought 2 whips: a five metre top of the range (GNT) (which I hardly use) and a 7m power whip (Atomic) which I hardly use. Just liked the look of them. Next I bought a 6m (Energhia) bolo. Brilliant rod that one, lovely and light and super to use. Just bought another bolo, a more powerful Atomic 7m. Its quite heavy but hoping to catch larger fish with it. Gotta stop looking at the Trabucco catalogue!!!

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was in the tackle shop once when the Daiwa rep came in to show the owner the soon to be released new Tom Pickering Conny range, he let me have a hold of the 13ft spliced tip version and as soon as I picked it up my hand was in my pocket parting with a £50 deposit ...I didn't even know when they were being released or how much they would cost, I had to wait a couple of months before parting with the £180 balance and getting my hands on one of the 1st examples to hit the shops and I still rate it as one of the best stick float rods ever made

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I was in the tackle shop once when the Daiwa rep came in to show the owner the soon to be released new Tom Pickering Conny range, he let me have a hold of the 13ft spliced tip version and as soon as I picked it up my hand was in my pocket parting with a £50 deposit ...I didn't even know when they were being released or how much they would cost, I had to wait a couple of months before parting with the £180 balance and getting my hands on one of the 1st examples to hit the shops and I still rate it as one of the best stick float rods ever made
Totally agree. I bought one of those rods at a discount, a while after they had been released from my tackle shop in Croydon when I lived there. I landed a 2lb+ roach with it as well as countless other luvverly fish in my river and drain stick float dqys. My lad stomped on the tip which shortened the rod by 3 inches after repair a few years later, but I still have it. Sadly as the rod has the old fashioned butt reel grip rings I can no longer use it due to arthritis, but it is the best rod I ever owned. I currently have an Acolyte Ultra 13ft rod but I'm looking to buy the 14' Daiwa Connoisseur rod for river work and the ever weightier and belligerent fishy inhabitants, particularly Barbel.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Totally agree. I bought one of those rods at a discount, a while after they had been released from my tackle shop in Croydon when I lived there. I landed a 2lb+ roach with it as well as countless other luvverly fish in my river and drain stick float dqys. My lad stomped on the tip which shortened the rod by 3 inches after repair a few years later, but I still have it. Sadly as the rod has the old fashioned butt reel grip rings I can no longer use it due to arthritis, but it is the best rod I ever owned. I currently have an Acolyte Ultra 13ft rod but I'm looking to buy the 14' Daiwa Connoisseur rod for river work and the ever weightier and belligerent fishy inhabitants, particularly Barbel.
I had my original Conny stolen and I had to look very long and hard to find a good example that had the tip section intact. I have had a Fuji reel seat fitted to mine, it cost me around £35 to get it fitted.
As an aside I have a 14ft Conny for sale in the classified, it has never been used so is in as new condition

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thanks. I'll check it out
I had my original Conny stolen and I had to look very long and hard to find a good example that had the tip section intact. I have had a Fuji reel seat fitted to mine, it cost me around £35 to get it fitted.
As an aside I have a 14ft Conny for sale in the classified, it has never been used so is in as new condition
Thanks. I'll check it out