Buying Property In The Metaverse

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I read a story today that peoople are paying thousands to buy "land" in various Metaverse worlds. I failed to understand the reasoning behind this "investment". Can anyone shed light on the logic.

While I understand that like any investment, if demand rises then you can make a return on your investment. But surely with a limitless virtual world there are two drawbacks. the first is that there is no limit to supply. Second that if the creator decides to close their world down you have lost your investment. I assume that like any new invention, not all the starters will end up being in existance after a few years and the popular or successful creators will dominate the market.

I also understand that the Metaverse, or some versions of it, could indeed become populated and visited for purposes we still don't know or can predict and that this could increase demand for space and thus prices. I can envisage a virtual High Street where like physical shopping you can stroll and window shop, entering shops that have attractive items for sale. Virtual gaming or betting arcades might also flourish.

But if the creator builds their High Street somewhere else, or moves it from near your property you could see your investment lose value. Unlike a physical High Street I guess it would take just a few clicks to move an entire shopping centre.

Fascinating subject, but a sensible investment opportunity?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Got change of a Vreeb...?
Eleventy Vreebs to a Boggle
Twelvety two Boggles to a Splimp...
And I've not got any change...😜😜😜😜👍😛

Carmody

Similar to non fungible tokens (NFT) my son was telling me about. Basically it’s digital art that no one else can replicate and these things are sold for tens of millions. He says a lot of it is money laundering?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Like the first Tweet on Twitter from the then owner someone paid $2.9 million for and tried to sell it recently with no interest really best offer $6,000.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You'll always have speculators in all fields hoping to score big with an investment, and for everyone that does there are many many more that don't