Buying new tackle.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Buying new tackle is a bit hit and miss at the moment, you do your research, decide what reel/rod/box/pole or whatever that you want, and then find it is not in stock in the UK. Do you then, a) go for another option, b) wait for it to come back in stock, or c) purchase it from abroad, bearing in mind the uncertainty of Brexit and other factors ?

Reuben

Site Supporter
I’d hang on if you don’t actually need it in the next couple of weeks or so.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
There is not a lot I need, but a lot of people are struggling to find things in stock. One thing I'm undecided about is groundbait. I could buy it now as it is in stock online, but do I buy it and store it(it may go off) or do I wait 'till I need it (may then be out of stock) ? Should have asked SWMBO for a crystal ball for Christmas (probably out of stock though).

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Unfortunately with the situation regarding Covid and brexit still remaining unclear, this could go on well into next year too..

It depends how desperate you are too..I’d imagine items like ground bait will rarely go out of stock but I could be showing my ignorance there as I rarely buy the stuff.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
At this time of year I rarely buy much major tackle as with the amount of rain and cold we get it's unlikely to get much of a work out before March anyway 😂

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Groundbait supplies have returned pretty much to normal now apart from one or two issues with the colourings that have been banned by the eu like robin red is no longer red

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Over the last couple of months I’ve pretty much kitted myself from scratch with rods, reels, pole, seatbox, accessories, terminal tackle etc. I haven’t been able to source everything exactly as I’d have liked, but I’ve managed to find very close equivalents for most things.

Supply chain issues are clear and are affecting stock levels for most manufacturers and retailers.

I’ve found that if you search around you can normally find what you want.

Ive been after a couple of match top kits for the MTX pole, out of stock everywhere all week, found some today. Although a lot of retailers have been advertising new stock of MTX stuff in the last few days, I guess a container or 10 has cleared the backlog at Felixstowe and made its way to retailers.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Any new tackle I get from the shop, sending away for anything only if I can't easily get it locally.

Occasionally I know exactly what I want, through reading about it and asking more experienced anglers; other things I just go into the shop at Rookery Waters and ask Alex Bates what he recommends. I got my last carryall like that - wanted a long, thin one which would go across my box footplate when on my trolley.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I'm sitting tight and in no rush. Got enough gear and back ups after buying for the last couple of seasons, (breakages excepting). A fortunate time given the scarcity of gear in the market currently. My local tackle shop(s) are there for any odd bits- terminal tackle, bait etc.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I given up on getting a Korum Day shelter lite I ordered from my local tackle shop on 26th August. Looking at getting Fox EOS Brolly system as it will do double duty dor days and overnight sessions, I doubt that there will be any January sales to talk of this year, so like you I am in two minds to get it from where I know it's in stock and know I have ot for when I can use it or wait until I need it and cam't find one. 🤷‍♂️