Buying and Selling stuff on eBay

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I hate car boots. Full of scruffs selling trash and scruffy mingebags trying to save a few quid on buying trash. Plus the greedy gets block the lane I use to get to the motorway early morning when I'm on my way to an Open match.
There's one gate on the lane that they go in through. They're queuing from daft o'clock for the 7am open. Dozens of them, in both directions. I usually go past them on the wrong side with lights on and horn sounding. Trouble is they see an estate loaded up and think I'm trying to push in. It's even worse once the gate opens as they block the road turning to get in before the one from the other side.
I've contacted the police and council but nothing has been done. Don't know how any emergency vehicles would manage if they had to get through.
One near me like that. I cycle past and the tramps are bombing down the lane to grab the tac. The problem is there’s 3 massive boots sales within 10mile of each other and so they dash inbetween them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My girlfriend at university studied music and had something similar by Yamaha. She could play it too. I always preferred synths as you can play with one finger, especially if a mono.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Once went as a seller.
Made a promise never to do it again.
Basically giving stuff away and people still want it cheaper. Not my idea of fun. Rather give it away to charity than waste 4/5 hrs of my life bartering with people not from these shores. In fact I rather Chuck it in a skip than sell it to some of the tramps that we’re there.
That’s about 15 years ago and not been back as a seller or a buyer.
But when kids were young we went to small local ones or school ones.
Hated the big ones with a passion.
Question. How much is it to sell at a boot sale nowadays
How much is entry as a buyer nowadays

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad often says when he goes to rubbish ones where people are only selling the usual tat that he doesn't know how they get their peg fees back, but I think it's only cheap. Understand the comments about them being trampy, they're not for me, parents love them though so I get the impression it is more for fogies with nothing better to do than just poor people.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m primarily guitar and bass but have played a lot of piano, keyboard and synth - my wife is way better than me on the keys - had a mix of Korg, Roland and Yamaha over the years and a mate has a recording studio so we used to play with very eclectic toys such as Moog.

We have two Yamaha keyboards at home now, one that’s always set up and my son loves to play on plus a midi synth for my wife’s school music and choir work that hooks up to the Mac.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Hate boot sales with a vengeance - did one with the wife as a seller (8hrs of my life I’ll never get back) and refuse to go as a buyer since.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I love this forum it always brings a smile.

We have the champions of the less well off condemning Car Boots, yet for many and those starting out they are an opportunity to buy things they need at an affordable price.

We then have the environmentalists who champion Greta and recycling yet can't see that Car Boots help the recycling process.

Then you can add the benefit that pensioners and new gardeners can get from 'boots.

How many times on Antiques Roadshow or in the media do you read about people who have found an absolute gem?
One man's tat is another's diamond

They are not such a bad thing after all are they?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I went once with the missus to a large council operated one, as sellers, mainly kids clothes and stuff they'd grown out of.
It was madness. We put bins out with items in, four pairs of socks for 50p, tops and teeshirts a quid, that sort of thing. We were swamped mainly by Pakistani women ripping into the bags before they'd even come out of the boot, bartering 50p's worth of underwear down, one woman was insistent a coat would fit her - it was something like 6-8 yr old., and try as she may she tried to squeeze into it.

It was an experience I never wanted to repeat, nothing to do with degradation or desperation, just sheer greed and bad behaviours.
My missus went along a month or so later with my sister, she makes me look tame :)D) , and that was the end of it, never again :)

Blanks

Site Supporter
Love a boot sale, never know what you might find. The wife went to a stall where a woman was getting rid of wealthy husbands stuff for next to nothing in vengence. She bought practically everything and was over the moon, the sex later was fantastic, I have always encouraged visits to the boot sale since.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I’m with Dave, 62tucker and old taff on this. I absolutely hate them. We went once as a seller 15 or 20 years ago. I had a Mercedes van. We got there and were setting up some tables to put all our gear on, went round the back of the van and there were 2 people in the back going through the stuff. They weren’t going to steal it and were asking how much for this and how much for that. I told them in no uncertain terms to get out. Every time you got a box or bag out the back there were people all over you. I nearly came to blows with quite a few that morning and have never been to another car boot since.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
One near me like that. I cycle past and the tramps are bombing down the lane to grab the tac. The problem is there’s 3 massive boots sales within 10mile of each other and so they dash inbetween them.
Like that here. After we've got through the traffic on the lane there is another one just before the Motorway. If we go to a club water on a Sunday there is even another one down a small lane that we have to negotiate.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I’m with Dave, 62tucker and old taff on this. I absolutely hate them. We went once as a seller 15 or 20 years ago. I had a Mercedes van. We got there and were setting up some tables to put all our gear on, went round the back of the van and there were 2 people in the back going through the stuff. They weren’t going to steal it and were asking how much for this and how much for that. I told them in no uncertain terms to get out. Every time you got a box or bag out the back there were people all over you. I nearly came to blows with quite a few that morning and have never been to another car boot since.
I believe there are people who go without stock and get there early. to buy off the sellers for their own pitches. They're all in each others vehicles rooting whilst they're waiting for it to open.

Robwooly

Best thing to do if selling at a boot is to park up at your pitch and leave the gear in the back of the motor, then go have a butchers at the other stalls. By the time you come back all the dealers are already off to the next boot sale in a mad rush or to back their pitches. You'll also get better prices from those who turn up later, most pleasure buyers turn up after 9 and 9-11am is usually the time to make good prices. You'll get bigger crowds and draw people in too, buy some flowering pot plants too if you want to make extra, people love them.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The one time I went to sell they were like tramps on chips when we pulled up.
Remember have a pair of brand new trainers. £6 daughter wanted. Someone said shoes are only £3 on this site. She said well go a buy some for £3.
Same person came back 2 more times and said would we take £3.
No was the answer and when they came back again we said we had sold them for £6. But really they were back in car for charity. Also had stuff for £1 and people asking would we take 80p.
If you want them you will pay £1.
I can understand bartering for something that’s a few quid but trying to barter 20p off. 🤯.
And 99.9% were none white. If I am allowed to say that.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
We once decided we’d take the kids to one and sell all their toys. I had to pull one guy out of the back of the car. I ended up telling anyone who asked for discount to F off. It was obvious they were traders looking to resell on their stall. I’ve never bothered since, it’s like stepping into a third world country. Wife’s and daughter have done a few selling their stuff but they are more patient when it’s comes to stupid people than me.

Tristar

Site Supporter
I did a couple years ago to get rid of a few things. It was an indoor one in an old market, we would set up an hour after everyone else did as I was fed up of traders coming bartering in non English then selling it on their stall for double. I used to park up, get a coffee and a couple of bacon, sausage and egg barms whilst having a wander around.

Once I was selling a brand new parrot cage with all the accessories for £20, all it needed was a seed tray to clip on so there was an opening, along comes this trader, flashed his wallet that had at least a grand inside and offered me £10, I politely told him to jog on, he came back saying the cage had a hole in it, I explained that its a cage its designed to have holes otherwise it would be called a fish tank! He asked again how much, I told him as its you.........£50, another bloke overheard what I said and gave me £50 without hesitating.

bluemack

Site Supporter
If your not the tolerant type towards people then car boots are NOT for you,i did boots for about 10 years selling
food that was on or near it,s best before dates and it earned me 200/250 quid practically every week(that was just in a morning), i also got to meet
some really nice people who mostly were happy to pay what i asked, as in all walks of life you would get the a###holes
that would try it on,but i always stayed calm NEVER got annoyed with them,had a laugh with them and all was good.
I stopped booting when my health took a downward turn but to be honest i miss doing it and miss most of the people. (y) (y)

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I moved down to Wales I had a lot of stuff that would not be coming with me, quite a lot went to the tip or charity shops but I took some of the better stuff to a local well known car boot sale. I filled the estate car with the stuff and as I was setting the table up I got loads of people trying to get into the back of the car and asking for prices, I just said you can buy anything you want before I set up but everything is £50 each until it goes on the table.....that seemed to work. As I only took good quality items with me and priced it reasonably I didn't really have that much trouble with people asking for discount OK if something was priced at £30 you would get the 'would you take £25 when we both knew that it was going to be £27.50 but other than that I managed to sell everything including the table and the deck chair I was sat on in about 3 hours, then had to wait another 2 hours before I could leave the field