Buying and Selling stuff on eBay

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I've got a couple of items waiting to go on, just waiting for the max £1 selling fee offer. Yes there is good money to be made if you get your timing right.
I used to take advantage of that offer, but I have not had the offer since the end of February. It helps when you flog something for £1.5k. I think you have to sign up to the managed payment scheme (eBay have dumped paypal), if you don't sign up, you don't get the offer. There seems to be less and less on eBay now.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just asked my dad about the nail guns, apparently he actually paid £45 for one of them, but he's been looking on eBay and one has just gone for £290 so he's still quids in. He's just watching a case for it at the moment which will cost him an extra £20 but will mean it'll sell for more. They're gutted the car boot tomorrow is cancelled because of weather, really a big hobby for them.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not sure if this is the expensive one. I wouldn't know what to look for. :LOL:

2021-05-02 18.14.04.jpg 2021-05-02 18.14.15.jpg

The Landlord

Site Supporter
The lads who are joiners in our pub, use Paslodes so I would imagine they will be expensive. One of them is a building equivalent of a tackle tart.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Looks stolen to me-how many contractors do you know that have fully cleaned kits with everything still in the carry case.

Anyone who knows it's worth would be selling that for a lot more than was asked and would have no trouble doing so

160642fishing

Site Supporter
If he paid £15, or £45 even for that then it's nicked - no way would anyone sell that in that condition for that sort of money knowing what it is.
That's what I suspected Dave,do you postcode all your tools etc.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mine are all marked and serial numbers recorded/registered.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You can generally tell if somethings stolen or not by the type of seller and what else they are selling. Get a lot of power tools sold at car boots by people who can't be bothered to sell them elsewhere. It's in good nick because he cleaned and serviced it. People have said the same to me before about fishing tackle at car boots, must have a thing against them, which is fair enough, but car boots aren't going to go away.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Sorry I don't agree with that as a lot of regular traders will buy and sell from each other and look to pick up bargains via classifieds
They will be quick to pass things on if they get a whiff that they have potentially bought something dodgy as well.

The servicing one is also a suspect thing as who did the servicing and what does that entail exactly?
Taking things apart and replacing items without CE marked components, or items not approved by the OEM (OEM's have been known to seek prosecution if non-specced parts have been replaced in their goods and there is evidence that casings or security fastenings have been removed)
I believe it can also be illegal without notification to the buyer that this has been conducted and it runs the risk of Trading Standards being involved.

Selling second hand goods has always been a grey area and is fine until something goes wrong.

Last edited:

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
My son bought a nail gun like that and had nothing but trouble with. He bought new and within 6mths it was back for repair. After that every mth it went back. Eventually he dumped it and bought a different one.
As for flea bay. I used to buy returns at work (sofas n chairs) fix and resell. They didn’t mind until someone had a moan. Then they put the prices up because they saw the profits I made. A little after that a director sold me a few sofas as they needed space. This was a Friday and on the Monday I was arrested for stealing. Apparently he’d been nicking items and pocketing the money. Had the police come and empty my house and id to prove where everything was from. Luckily I’d kept receipts for everything I’d bought, dating back 10yr. After that I told them I didn’t want anymore , so now they skip loads. Their lost.

squimp

Site Supporter
A guy I know used to run a tackle shop. It got burgled and a few weeks later the gear turned up at a car boot a hundred miles away.

It was obviously his ‘stuff’ because some of it still had labels from his shop !

He rang the police and they did nothing; AND they told him he could not go and reclaim it.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Then of course there's the time wasting buyers who make a winning bid and you never hear from them again. I'm just about to list a electronic piano for the third time!

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I hate car boots. Full of scruffs selling trash and scruffy mingebags trying to save a few quid on buying trash. Plus the greedy gets block the lane I use to get to the motorway early morning when I'm on my way to an Open match.
There's one gate on the lane that they go in through. They're queuing from daft o'clock for the 7am open. Dozens of them, in both directions. I usually go past them on the wrong side with lights on and horn sounding. Trouble is they see an estate loaded up and think I'm trying to push in. It's even worse once the gate opens as they block the road turning to get in before the one from the other side.
I've contacted the police and council but nothing has been done. Don't know how any emergency vehicles would manage if they had to get through.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Then of course there's the time wasting buyers who make a winning bid and you never hear from them again. I'm just about to list a electronic piano for the third time!
I used to be well into electric pianos and the like. Is it a decent one?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I always wanted a Yamaha CS80 synth (the Blade Runner synth). Yamaha should be spot on. Japanese quality. Also always wanted a Roland MKS20 Piano Rack Module as heard in many 80s hits.

davylad

Site Supporter
Phil, I have a spec of dust under middle C on my piano, is it easy would you know to strip it down and clean it? I usually have a go at these things but thought I would ask first.