Buying and Selling stuff on eBay

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've mentioned this before but my parents run a small tax paying business on eBay. What they do is buy stuff from car boots (one of their favourite pastimes) and then sell it on eBay. My mom has a store room for all the clothes she buys and sells and my dad normally buys tools and the like.

The other day he bought a couple of nail guns for about £15 and reckons he can get over £100 for them on eBay. He seems to know what to look for when it comes to tools and electrical equipment and can make a good profit on some items to top up his pension.

Anyone else do it?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
For my parents it is something to do more than anything, being retired, but the nail guns are like a weapon out of a video game.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
My current business partner used to do it as a sideline. He'd bulk buy stuff from the far east & sell it on. Made a few bob as well because he is a greedy mingebag.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I buy and sell stuff all over the place

the last big purchase was 30 odd old wooden chairs, some good some bad, sorted around 15 of them out as "Vintage" with solid elm seats and beech legs, and backs-arms, gave them a good clean up-wax polish and more than quadrupled my money

A few I just chucked as there was too much work and half dozen got the "Shabby chic" treatment with a bit of paint involved

kept three very nice ones, one of which a very nice stickback Windsor armchair , I gave it to the wench, untold brownie points

Reuben

Site Supporter
I do a bit here & there. Mostly outdoor & camping gear, bit of surplus tackle. My best deal was for some army surplus ‘land rover chairs’ - the tubular steel folding jobs with canvas backs & seats, uncomfortable as buggery. Picked up 6 for a tenner a pop & sold the 4 best ones for £45 each......happy days. Being a poor pensioner means I don’t pay tax becuase I’m barely making ends meet as it is........

Bulldog

Site Supporter
Watch some re-sellers on You Tube ......... Brum Reseller is a good watch all for people putting the effort in and walking round boot sales to buy stuff
to resell and make a profit
What i dont get is why someone would pay say £40 for a pair of worn Nike trainers when a new pair costs £55 also the word 'Vintage' being used to sell some 10 year old tat

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Mom seems to sell a lot of jeans and dresses. 50p from car boot and around £10 on ebay I think. She sits on her iPad reading eBay to study what things sell for.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Tell your mum and dad to paint all their items Orange before putting them on eBay. They’ll get at least 50% more for them. 🤣🤣

My dad makes woodworking bits and pieces and puts those on eBay. It basically pays for the wood he uses. It’s his hobby and keeps him from under mums feet. 😁

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I remember when I was a mortgage broker & a customer came in to see me. He said he made his living as a professional gambler & buying and selling on Ebay. I was thinking I wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of getting him a mortgage. I phoned the local manager of Birmingham Midshires and they said they'd do it no problem.....just put him down as an Internet Trader. Couldn't believe it!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I buy vintage fishing fishing tackle, especially old cane rods and reels.

My intention is to to restore them, then to resell them.
I've got the restoring bit sorted, it's the other bit that I find difficult.
:whistle:

toryboy

Got a lot of my gear out last week to chuck on ebay as a rarely go out since I had a little one. Dug through 2 holdalls then decided it was too much like hard work so put it back in the garage. Don't think I'm cut out for ebay trading.....

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I've mentioned this before but my parents run a small tax paying business on eBay. What they do is buy stuff from car boots (one of their favourite pastimes) and then sell it on eBay. My mom has a store room for all the clothes she buys and sells and my dad normally buys tools and the like.

The other day he bought a couple of nail guns for about £15 and reckons he can get over £100 for them on eBay. He seems to know what to look for when it comes to tools and electrical equipment and can make a good profit on some items to top up his pension.

Anyone else do it?
Loads of boot sellers look at E-bay for prices,if they bought two nail guns at that price I would be suspicious as to where they came from.

I buy and sell second hand books as a hobby,I bought 40 Osprey Men at War booklets for £3 last week on our local boot sale.,they will fetch,eventually, well over £120 on Amazon,I used to buy loads from Charity shops but all the larger ones have their own Amazon site these days and the best ones get put on there,it's not as profitable as it used to be but it gives me something to keep my mind alert.

davylad

Site Supporter
I've got a couple of items waiting to go on, just waiting for the max £1 selling fee offer. Yes there is good money to be made if you get your timing right.