Buying a pole- the once and for all guide.

Phil Owen

Thinking of buying a couple of Middy White Knuckle 6 Metre poles for myself and son. Seems excellent value at 40.00 odd with 4 Middy rigs thrown in for the price as well.

Has anyone got one of the 6m versions and can give their opinion??

Is the 8m Thriller the one to go for for the extra length though as 6m seems short if you latch onto a double figure "lump" or is this pole so strong it will handle it no problem??

Ideally the 6 metre would be fine as it's cheaper but just wondered how it generally handles??

I think it comes with 2 top kits 24 elastic and 6-10??

Cheers

bloodyducks

I'll go along with you on this one. save up and get the best you can get. The Daiwa tourney pro x is much stronger than a browning z9 eh Nathan? well done on getting in the fisho final again mate - try not to fall asleep on the big day like ya did at boldings [:D]

Originally posted by NathanWatson

Gaz talks some twaddle! Just buy a Daiwa, simple!

mikeb511

Site Supporter
HI lads yes the pro is good not as good as the z9,,,but have a look at tks 825 ???..
Originally posted by bloodyducks

I'll go along with you on this one. save up and get the best you can get. The Daiwa tourney pro x is much stronger than a browning z9 eh Nathan? well done on getting in the fisho final again mate - try not to fall asleep on the big day like ya did at boldings [:D]

Originally posted by NathanWatson

Gaz talks some twaddle! Just buy a Daiwa, simple!

Gassy

when or what situation would i use the short 4th section that is supplied with my new pole?

Last edited:

G20

Site Supporter
Gassy -"when or what situation would i use the short 4th section that is supplied with my new pole?"

I can give a couple of reasons;(a) much better/ stronger to hang onto when playing a lump ie better than gripping your number 3 section ( some refer to it as a fighting 4)
(b) when you need to fish to an exact distance ie to a feature and the long/normal section is causing too much pole behind you.
I store mine in my the top no 4 long section,ie not separate, but, don't forget to remove it at the start; it's easy to forget it's there.

wagglermaster

I may be in the market for a new pole shortly but what really peeves me off is the fact I live in Northern Ireland, there are no Pole alleys in shops, there are not as many pole anglers so I have no real chance of holding or fishing with most of the poles I would consider! I'm currently using a Daiwa TDR Competition which I bought due to reviews in magazines and online and the fact I know Daiwa spares are widly available however I did feel that I was buying slightly blind at the time!

MaverKidLee95

it depends how much you are willing to spend on a pole , if you want the absolute best poles on the market then go for the Maver pole range , i absolutely 110 % recommend Maver poles , i wouldn't choose anything else because they are absolutely unbeatable quality :)

DW3

Hi
I am looking to upgrade to a new pole for fishing commercials, with about a 1000 to spend what pole (with side puller) would you recommend? I am attracted to one of the Maver poles. Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers

tedstriker

Site Supporter
you can pick up a map 501 2g for that price which has side pullas already fitted which has 4 match kits and 3 power kits

roughyed

I have just come back to fishing and wondered if anyone could suggest a good pole sub 500.00 for general match, no carp, silvers and odd bream etc. Would also use it on slow rivers. Many thanks

punchcrumb

you can pick up a map 501 2g for that price which has side pullas already fitted which has 4 match kits and 3 power kits
I was quite keen on buying a MAP pole but I found they were made In china and apparently are the same mandrel as the chinese Daiwa poles, now i am not saying chinese made poles are rubbish the chinese daiwa ones are widely used and praised .But how many other pole brands are selling made In china poles?, they dont seem to go out of there way to make it clear when this is the case.So I tend to think there may be a stigma attached to these poles and the companys selling them do not advertise the fact.It Is well known that a lot of the big brand tackle Is made In china some very good some not so good and In my experience some dreadfull.So It might be prudent to try and find out where your often expensive gear Is produced and do as much research as possible. I have a uk made daiwa and I am a big fan of the uk made poles from daiwa of course the uk option costs more but you get what you pay for. I also have a mid range Browning pole that i am very happy with but dont have a clue where it was made.

/

I have recently bought a new pole as my old Shimano had its day. Being only a pleasure angler, I set myself a budget of around £500 or less, and settled on a 13m pole, as this suits my fishing and I never use a pole over this distance. So, I bought a Preston X200 13m about a fortnight before lockdown, I have elasticated, fitted dacrons, puller bungs etc and am already to go, unfortunately as yet I have not been able try it out due to lockdown. It looks a nice pole, feels nice in the hand and appears well made, it comes with 3 power kits, a silver kit and a cupping kit, it is a bit of an all rounder pole I would say, which is what I wanted. I can`t wait to get out and give it a go, fingers crossed the rules are relaxed soon and we can get out fishing again. Tight lines.