Buying a pole- the once and for all guide.

jaws

Gaz,
I mainly fish local commercials like Lakview and Eye Kettleby at Melton Mowbray,I would say that you have all the species that you find in commercials and I'm also intending to start fishing the soar, cheers

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
Right then if you are going on the river as well you could do with one kit having a soild in, this is what I would do-

Match kit in the pole- number 5 latex
Power kit 1- White Hydro
Power kit 2- Black Hydro

I would be inclined to either remove the number 1 section from the match kit and cut the power kits back to match. The latex will do you well for the roach on the river and should be ok for the odd big perch or chub that might turn up, you can also use the white hydro for the river for heavier rigs for chub and tench etc.. The white will do you most of the year on the smaller fish at eye kettleby, from what I know about the fishery that is. Black for the carp in the summer.

jaws

Gaz,
I will be going over to Fosters at Kingstanding for the pole and all the other stuff that I will need so thanks for the advice, cheers

jaws

Thanks to Fosters and Gary Picken for sorting me out with mi Shimano Technico pole on Tuesday and also for the elastication of the tops (I can do that), I now says.[:)]

chubba

great guide gaz.[:)] just about to make a decent purchase next month. ? 800 budget but been out n tried a range so far the garbolino power legion stands out. is a cheaper pole than budget but feels good. one problem is need floats but only got about a fiver n need a large selection [;)]

jaws

Having bought the pole which I have done and a new box what other pieces of kit would any of you lads suggest to make fishing with a pole comfortable sitting on a box, cheers

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
The number one rule is to get your footplate set so your knees are at right angles, then rest the pole over your legs and let them take the strain.

back to basics

Once you have decided on your pole go onto ebay i picked up a bran nem maver n25 four spare top 3s RRP 930, CHEAPEST I COULD GET IT FOR WAS 699 EBAY WITH P&P 400 BARGIN

bigdavewsf

Originally posted by back to basics

Once you have decided on your pole go onto ebay i picked up a bran nem maver n25 four spare top 3s RRP 930, CHEAPEST I COULD GET IT FOR WAS 699 EBAY WITH P&P 400 BARGIN

the fisherman in birkenhead is the nearest place for spares when it starts snapping mate

Russ G

Rusty
Also when buying a new pole,don't be afraid to be a year behind.
This years unsold "top o the ranch" will be next years second fiddle with different graphics sprayed on at 2/3rd's the price!

Nematode

Account Locked
I'm looking to get a new pole later in the year, but all can i find for 200-300 quid are poles with only one match top kit, & the usual one or two power top kits. I'd rather just have three match kits as i won't ever be using the power kits.
Does anyone know if there any shops that could sell me say, a MAP TKS10/MAP F16, or a Shim Technium XTA , but substitute the x2 power kits for x2 match kits for the same 200/240 price tag they have at the moment?

I didn't know whether to start a thread on this or not as there are shed loads of threads asking the same question of, "what pole should i get?" I know what pole i want lol, but with x3 match kits instead.

Cheers [:)]

edit to add: Can you use preston slip sizes 10 & below in power top two's? Or is that a bad idea?

Last edited:

thegasman2000

Hi all, I am new here and looking at getting my first "decent" pole. I have been using a Shakespeare put in (cheap as chips!) and enjoyed it but the mrs stood on its 4th section on the bank last week (cant complain as I was just happy she came, and she banked a 12lb common!). I am looking for something for the margins, no longer than 7 meters as the cost seems to ramp up. I fish commercials and a local lake with carp to 16lb and plenty of silvers to catch. I enjoy competitions and need to get back into them.

I have seen the Maver Totality margin at 6.8M for 49.99 and the reviews seem great. Is there a better pole at the same, or slightly more :), money? Its my 25th on saturday so off to the tackle shop to spend some money! I cant afford more than 75 so I know the options are slim!

T1Cybernetic

The new Middy White Knuckle Thriller 8 Meter is about the best thing I have seen lately and at 59 with 2 top twos it's a good buy! Also the Sensas Carp X are very cheap up to 8 meters and having used one recently I would recommend that too.

I am sure a look around would get you a better pole second hand though.

dougie

well it worked for me i got a near new browning black magic force 12.5 for 100 rrp ebay 399 bargin ??, but looking some top 5's if anyone no's of any,,

ErisKSC

Hi, I'm and Aussie, interested in pole fishing, as far as i can tell no frshwater pole stuff is available here, i'm going to have to order over the net.

So my question is roughly what length do poles break down to?

I am currently looking a the range of 4-6m margin poles, and i need a cheap one! (looking at sensas atm)

Could someone please point me at some good tutorials on the basics of pole fishing terminology? I can't just walk into a shop and ask advice, so i'd like to get my tackle terminology a bit better and also get an idea of ALL of the bits and pieces required to get me down to the waters edge.

Thanks

philly

gaz or anyone,ive got the chance of a preston genus 16mtr g10 i think it is. its got 10 spare tops all elasticated in holdall its about 2 to 3yrs old no cracks or repairs ,it might even be a g2 if there is such a pole, and the guy would like 800 quid, do you think its worth it as i dont know the cost of these poles and cant find any reference to one anywhere.[:H] cheers

PIGEON114

If any bodys looking for a cheap starter pole its got to be in the avanti range the packages are unbeatable with spares ect these pole will get you started and wont break the bank

The Shotgun Kid

Gasman, I bought the Daiwa yank and bank (8.5m) last year, comes with three top kits for 89 (eeeeeeebay)and i no longer worry that my poles going to break when I hook a lump. I know it's a little over your budget but for a margin pole its great.