Buying a pole- the once and for all guide.

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
Right then I think its time to put a few simple things down-

Decide how much you have to spend (then ask girlfriend/wife/mam and dad and or the dog if you can spend a bit more). From this get a rough idea of what the poles in your price range are, but do not make a decision at this point.

DO NOT take any noice of anything advertisers might like to tell you about this pole or that pole, be aware that elastic ratings, like most things in angling, are not controlled in any way so they are not reliable as a guide as to the strength of a pole. Also take magazine articles with a pinch of salt, remember they rely on the manufacturers to pay for advertising so they will do their best not to upset them (although sometimes you can read between the lines).

Take note of the spares prices and spares packages, you might find one pole comes with two topkits more than another but if extra topkits are 100 quid for the pole with more topkits and only 50 for the pole with less in the long run you might be better off getting less at the start. Dont get over worried about big spares prices though, its very rare you will need a replacement as 90% of the time you can get a repair which is every bit as strong and makes very little difference to the pole. Ask around to see if anyone has had any problems getting spares with the poles in your price range.

With these things in mind try and get a go, on the bank, of the poles in your price range be it your mates or just blokes you are pegged next to in matches whatever (maggotdrowing/internet matches are usually very friendly and most of us would let you have a go of our poles, but dont ask fisky as he will get the wrong idea). If you are going to be doing 'beasty' fishing and you feel you will need power kits then make sure you get a go with these on, it always makes a difference but on some poles it makes alot of difference and others not so much. If you cant get a go of the poles you want to look at on the bank then a pole alley, in a big shop or at the go fishing show is the next best thing. When having a go of a pole think about how it feels to you, not what other people might rave about, how it feels in your arms. Does it feel top heavy, does it bounce too much, do you feel in contact on the strike or does it feel a bit behind? Its different for different people, we all hold poles differently and strike in different ways as such, if that makes sense. I had a go of a parabolix once and thought it was awful yet others have found it a really good piece of kit, im sure its a good pole but just not for me.

When you have it down to a pole or two go to the shop, pereferably local, take cash and haggle, you will be surprised at how much you can get off or even get added on in terms of extra kits etc.. Dont forget to have a look round second hand as well you can sometimes pick up some real bargins, but as with all secondhand things just be weary.

Once you have your new pole go out an buy some quality hand made floats to use with it[;)]

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

scuttster

Site Supporter
good guide. i recon that this should get a sticky. it should save a few hundred pole for ... threads!

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
Not really sick of anybody, I just thought it would save the same thing being asked over and over again, and maybe stop a few people buying the wrong pole which happens alot (me included).

keith

Gandhi
Site Supporter
Gaz,

I think you got the message across well.

As you have said stick to a budget, Try them out in actual fishing circumstances first, if not go to decent pole alley with a selection of poles within the price range.

Then shop around for the best price and see if your local dealer can match it.A lot will.

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
Just to add to the comments made by Gaz.

Remember that a pole will feel different with a bung and elastic in it and will feel more 'top heavy' especially with stronger elastics. Best to try a mates pole with laccy in rather than the pole alley with a 'hollow' pole.

methodgob

yoda
quote:Originally posted by gazmalman
but as with all secondhand things just be weary.

or tired or fed up perhaps![:D][:p]Did you mean "wary"?

Should have listened to your own advice Mr Malman shouldn't you?hmmmm?Would have saved you a lot on Maver spares![:D]

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Gaz, a thought crossed my mind as I read your "serious" article, are you still using your well repaired Maver + elbows ?? Or, what have you settled for now ??

Serious question.

I have now got SO USED to my "Lethal Weapon's" weight, I'm ready for owt now.[:D] "Muscles in my spit" LOL[;)]

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
Ive got a diawa exceller now, which id had a waggle of at go fishing and is almost the same as the spectron. I got it secondhand with loads of topkits for a really decent price. Really light and suits my fishing.

The maver is for sale if anybody wants it, 300 without a number five or 400 if i go out and buy one!

jaws

I'm buying a Shimano technium xta 13m, any ideas on what I will get for mi 199 and will it be a good idea to purchase extra tops at the same time I'm basically a pleasure bod but i would like to enter a few novice matches in my area , cheers

Last edited:

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Jaws the xta comes with 2 extra power kits so that'll be 3 in total with the one in the pole, the 3 kits will be enough to get you started and give you different elastic options, you can always buy extra kits at a later date,
but buy yourself a cupping kit & a pole roller

jaws

I hope to get my self a Shimano tech 13xta this week but looking on the web at this moment in time they seem to be 229, who is selling the poles for 199.99

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Jaws what area do you live, go to your nearest Shimano stockist you should get price match at most of them,
http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/st55476
http://www.trevstackle.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/678/groupID/2/categoryID/40
http://www.britnett-carver.co.uk/tigra/prods/82.html

jaws

Foggy,
you have saved mi life I'm bound to get round to one of those this week being diesel jockey thanks and cheers,

Jaws

jaws

Can't find the post on here at the minute but what else do I need to go with my new pole, I know about all the rollers ect but what bits like bungs and elastics do I need for the pole, cheers

gazmalman

malmanfloats.com
You will need bushes, bungs and elastics for the top kits. A clean cap for the number 4 is a good idea as is a skid bung for the bigger sections. Try and get some of this stuff thrown in when you buy the pole, may actually work out better to get the kit thrown in at 199 for the pole than getting the pole a bit cheaper and having to buy it all your self.

Let us know what sort of places you fish and I will advise of elastics.

You also want some pole floats to go with the pole, I wonder where you can get some nice handmade ones[;)]

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
will some of these nice hand made ones be making their way to lindholme on the 11th feb then gaz ??? if only to kick fiskys arse again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D][;)]if so fetch a selection and il have some matey