Buying a new seatbox

Ade1

Site Supporter
Matchbox is a good choice, well made, adaptable and can be made very light with certain combinations.

Markeyboy have you considered just buying a new frame and legs ? That way you could use most of your box with newer attachments.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I looked into this at some length when my Octbox became too heavy for me.

The Preston Inception is lightest of the 'modern' boxes but because it has 30mm legs and all my accessories were 25mm I went for the Matrix P25 which has proved to be fine. It's fractionally heavier than the Inception, but even with the extra deep side tray I can lift it on and off my trolley - and I am 78 and pretty weak. I am very pleased with it.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have looked at them before but I never really liked the layout of the draws ( not very modular ).
That is my only issue with it hence why it has been religated this year since rediscovering the boss modulator

fredradac

Site Supporter
This has been raised umpteen times on here n nobody seems to have a definitive answer. Me? I still with my good old Brilo Box but my advancing years mean that it is never getting any easier to move around.

markyboy

Matchbox is a good choice, well made, adaptable and can be made very light with certain combinations.

Markeyboy have you considered just buying a new frame and legs ? That way you could use most of your box with newer attachments.
Yes, I have one of the Matchboxes with the cross drawer, the new frames do not work with that configuration and also the hinge positions on mine are different. I had several conversations with the new owner about this including sending him photos and dimensions of my current frame but he stopped responding so lost a bit of faith, also my local tackle shop has contacted him several times about selling them and he has never returned their calls.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Yes, I have one of the Matchboxes with the cross drawer, the new frames do not work with that configuration and also the hinge positions on mine are different. I had several conversations with the new owner about this including sending him photos and dimensions of my current frame but he stopped responding so lost a bit of faith, also my local tackle shop has contacted him several times about selling them and he has never returned their calls.
When I bought mine Jim sent me a spare H frame that allowed me to put the seat directly onto it and use the shallow base so makes a good canal stool the hinges and catches were in different positions so he added extra to the seat also and all at no extra cost......seems that the new owner is not like Jim was

Another thumbs up for Preston, just got the Inception 150 3D, great quality with plenty of storage space to fill. As already mention the foot plate can easily be removed if required and plenty of choice for add on accessories.

Downside plenty of storage space equals a heavy seatbox but nothing a bit of self control would remedy, unfortunately I lack this when taking gear with me.

A great seatbox(y)