Buying a new seatbox

Stanley

Good Evening,

Time has come to finally look at a new seatbox this winter and with Santa arriving at the end of Dec it’s about time I replaced my 12+ year old boss modular box.

Was lucky to spend the day at Royal Berkshire fishery at the weekend and had a wonder around at lunchtime to look at all the latest boxes on the bank. What amazes me is how bulky some of these new boxes are. They do look very stable when setup and have certainly moved on from the very popular Boss boxes. They also look so heavy that most of the lads had 4 wheel trolley’s some with electric motors ! I usually travel with a friend so we have 2 lots of match gear in a 3 series estate so it’s not a huge van or VW Passat so need to consider the size of these boxes.

Can anyone recommend a seatbox that’s not huge is size and doesn’t weigh 20kg+ empty ? Changing the estate car is not really an option !

From looking around both Preston, matrix and Guru seem to be popular on the banks. We usually have the boxes behind the front seats and the rod bags down the middle but all of these boxes seem to have footplates that slide which then looks to take a huge footprint when the footplate it’s away.

Any ideas/recommendations would be greatly received as visiting tackle shops for a browse it’s not currently possible.

Regards

Paul.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have a Preston inception, Its an "H" frame box, comes with a sliding footplate, removable in a couple of minutes and if need be can either left at home or put any where in back of car,
Most boxes are light, its what you put in them that makes them heavy.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I keep looking at new seat boxes myself as I’m still sat on a Daiwa Tournament but, nothing really floats my boat. Especially when I go to pick one up. The Maver signature looks about the best to me.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
any of the leading brands should meet your needs and you will get everyone saying theirs is the best, if you cant wait till the shops are open then you tube and online reviews will be your best bet i would suggest.

i love my browning box though its not made anymore but i looked at loads first and it just met my needs.

the most important thing will be all the accessories you will want or attach, i love the look of the matrix boxes and accessories, the accessories are the main thing that would drive my choice

good luck

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I keep looking at new seat boxes myself as I’m still sat on a Daiwa Tournament but, nothing really floats my boat. Especially when I go to pick one up. The Maver signature looks about the best to me.
Was going to say they've stopped making it but it's just the Signature Venue (which I have), that's been discontinued. They're still doing the Signature D36.
MAP H30 Lite is okay with not a massive footprint & supposedly light.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I keep looking at all the new boxes but keep coming back to my old Boss modulator which does everything I need.
I then think would a new box put more fish in the net???? so then spend my money on something else like my recent purchase of an acolyte 17ft LOL

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have been using my old Boss modulator again this summer and had forgotten what a good box it is, mine is the full 7 drawer one but they can obviously removed as required, I have one set for rivers and another for still waters and if I want to travel really light it is just the base unit and seat. really versatile piece of kit its reasonably light and well put together plus as it is the same box as the Daiwa Tournament (both made by boss) still lots of spares about. Mine is going to get a bit of a clean up and the frame a lick of paint over the winter and I can see it being my go to box for a while now , the Matchbox still gets some use but the Brilo renovation will go on hold ....again..!!

StuH

Site Supporter
Was going to say they've stopped making it but it's just the Signature Venue (which I have), that's been discontinued. They're still doing the Signature D36.
MAP H30 Lite is okay with not a massive footprint & supposedly light.
The Venue is back on sale I think.

All the big brand boxes look pretty decent to me.

adriang

Site Supporter
I saw the Rive D25 mentioned above, I recently got one as it's compatible with my collection of trays from my old contibox/octoplus combination. I have to say that in comparison to what I had, it is massive in size and weighs a ton! The guy I got it from upgraded to something by Matrix, and when I last saw him, he was complaining thats even heavier.

Do be fair, the D25 works great and is super convenient, so not all doom and gloom.

The weight/bulk might not be an issue if you're driving to your peg, and have a van or estate. (I have a Hybrid Rav4, and the battery pack creates a small hump behind the rear seats, which is proving to be really painful).

Assuming he's not sold it, I have a Boss set up in storage with @warrington63 which I need to collect when I finally get a shed put in, I'm wondering if I'll start using that as my main..

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I saw the Rive D25 mentioned above, I recently got one as it's compatible with my collection of trays from my old contibox/octoplus combination. I have to say that in comparison to what I had, it is massive in size and weighs a ton! The guy I got it from upgraded to something by Matrix, and when I last saw him, he was complaining thats even heavier.

Do be fair, the D25 works great and is super convenient, so not all doom and gloom.

The weight/bulk might not be an issue if you're driving to your peg, and have a van or estate. (I have a Hybrid Rav4, and the battery pack creates a small hump behind the rear seats, which is proving to be really painful).

Assuming he's not sold it, I have a Boss set up in storage with @warrington63 which I need to collect when I finally get a shed put in, I'm wondering if I'll start using that as my main..
Dont forget the one you bought off me has a wheel kit so a trolley will not be needed,
No I haven't sold it, because you paid me for it ( unless you forgot that bit ) 🙄 just working out price for storage now.😂😂

markyboy

The thing that keeps putting me off a new box is the actual lack of storage that they provide. I have an old Matchbox with a 100mm and 50mm base unit and this covers virtually everything I carry apart from reels which fit in my carryall. The downside to the Matchbox is the 16mm legs as the newer attachments don't have adapters for that size.

Stanley

Thanks for all the reply’s. The main issue I see with the newer style of boxes is the sliding footplates. When they are put away for transportation they make the boxes far wider than they need to be. Didn’t realise that the likes of the XR36 Pro allow you to quickly remove the footplate for transportation which seems like a great idea.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
Matrix F25 and P25 are a smaller footprint than H30 and Inception. Matchbox are the lightest and with a folding footplate more compact, but maybe not as modern in design. S36, XR36, Z30, Z36, Absolute are all heavy and I’d think too big for your car with 2 of you. My H30 review is in tackle reviews, I previously had a F25.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I'm in the same boat, I need to replace my Brilo.
I don't like z frames as I like to adjust the height to footplate.
The ones I'm considering are
Matrix F/P 25 ( seems to be smallest foot print )
Map H30 light (only a 150mm deep unit/base)
Preston Preston Inception sl30 (Units seem more expensive)

Outsiders
Octbox d25
Matrix XR36 comp (Closed W 761mm x L561mm)

nejohn

Site Supporter
I'm in the same boat, I need to replace my Brilo.
I don't like z frames as I like to adjust the height to footplate.
The ones I'm considering are
Matrix F/P 25 ( seems to be smallest foot print )
Map H30 light (only a 150mm deep unit/base)
Preston Preston Inception sl30 (Units seem more expensive)

Outsiders
Octbox d25
Matrix XR36 comp (Closed W 761mm x L561mm)
Have you considered a Matchbox, when my Brilo got to retirement age the closest I could find to it was a Matchbox, and I have had no issues with it for either use or quality, it is light and stable as well as using good quality materials , however I bought mine before the company changed hands so can't say if the quality of the new ones are as good as the older ones

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
I have looked at them before but I never really liked the layout of the draws ( not very modular ).