Busy at Brafferton

Simon R

Site Supporter
With the fishing lockdown finally over I was itching to get out and wet a line, however Wednesday was chilly and a bit manky weather wise, Thursday I already had other plans but Friday I was up and out of the house before seven. I'd already spoken to one or two fishery owners of venues where we've got matches organised so I knew Dromonby Farm wouldn't be open until next week and at Renny they'd be shoulder to shoulder so I headed down to Brafferton. It was before eight when I arrived but already quite busy, however a quick recce of Spring Lake revealed a number of empty pegs on the right-hand bank so that's where I headed.

There were three anglers occupying the first six pegs (ie fishing every other peg) so I followed suit and missed a peg from the last of them, ending up at peg 42. The next four platforms had all disappeared - they were in the process of being rebuilt when the lockdown closed the local timber suppliers and they are therefore still a work in progress - I guess if necessary you could fish from the bankside but some people prefer a dead flat platform. There was a family group just opposite me but everybody else had just naturally socially distanced from each other. I guess there was probably twenty anglers on a 49 peg lake so everyone was well spread out.

Spring Lake 008a.jpg

Image00012.jpg

Both of the larger islands have had the vegetation cut back - the scorched areas of each indicating that it was burnt in situ once cut rather than ferried back to the bankside - it does mean that you can now cast tight to the island, although I wasn't planning on targeting that area today anyway. I set the pole up - two rigs for straight in front and two for the margin - one of which was on 0.18mm straight through with just a couple of no.8 shot so I could fish just a few inches deep in order to mug any cruising fish - of which there are often a good number on this lake.

I started at an easy 6m (top kit + 3 sections) just flicking a fairly constant stream of 4mm pellets at the float, last time I fished here I found that using anything other than a pellet on the hook produced better results so I slipped the tail end of a dendrobaena onto the size 14 hook. First chuck I got an over ambitious rudd and second chuck a little F1 of 12oz or so. I caught quite well for a while - F1's to about a pound and a couple of small proper carp to about 2lb.

Image00006.jpg Image00004.jpg

The bites started to get really iffy and after missing yet another one I discovered the probable culprits
Image00015.jpg
The blob of slime a dead giveaway that I had skimmers in my swim - I switched baits to double maggot and caught half-a-dozen or so before bites ceased.

The carp and F1's returned which scattered the skimmers and I got a few more before a rather lengthy fight with a fish I never saw resulted in me getting a scale as a memento

Image00007.jpg Image00014.jpg

I'd been drip feeding the margin all day and had a look over it after another dead spell on my main line - I got skimmers and roach and then my best carp of the day so far

Image00005.jpg

Image00001.jpg Image00002.jpg
Rubbish photo but it was around 4-5lb and very long and lean - one species that Spring Lake does throw up regularly is big perch - I've caught them to 1lb 12oz and have weighed a 2lb 8oz fish, so I wasn't altogether surprised to get one - not a huge fish at about 14oz but it looked a whole load bigger in the water.

Image00013.jpg

I hooked another later which was considerably larger but the hook pulled at the net :cry:

The margin line went quiet so I returned to my 6m line and switched to a banded 6mm pellet and had my best spell of the day - a nice stream of F1s, small carp and odd silvers but a fish every put in. I mentioned earlier that I'd set up a rig to mug fish and there were a few about - most not interested in feeding though - I draped a dendrobaena over one fishes snout and it didn't react, until it felt the line over its back and it bolted.

I tipped my fish back to give my net chance to dry out
Image00011.jpg Image00010.jpg

There was probably pushing 30lb all told - I returned to fishing the margin and after losing the perch I mentioned earlier I had couple more small commons - strangely I never had an F1 from the margin swim all day. I spotted another lump cruising past and just dropped the rig in its general direction, it sunk from sight and I thought for a moment I'd spooked it before the float buried and I found myself attached to it. It was a big fish but after an initial run (which bottomed the elastic) it just swam in ever decreasing circles as I shortened the elastic with the puller kit. I didn't really know just how big it was until it came to the surface and I was able to net it - it only just fitted - I think I need a larger net:p

The photo is rubbish and doesn't show how wide the fish was, however I weighed it straight away and after deducting the net it went 11lb 13oz, which is the second biggest fish I've had from this lake
Image00003.jpg
Told you it was a rubbish photo:p

Just a couple of minutes later another fish came swimming along the edge of the lake - only half the size of the lump above - and dropping the bait on it's nose I actually saw it inhale the worm - I played it for a couple of minutes before, for no apparent reason, the hook pulled out.

I had to be away shortly afterwards but I was quite pleased to have amassed something like 45lb on the first day back. I called into Renny on the way home, plenty of rods bending and still, despite a lot of 'holes' in the car-park very busy - it must have been difficult to maintain an adequate social distance and I can pretty much guarantee that the AT 15m recommendation will not have been achieved.

Dromonby Farm next week I think - unless Lockwood Beck reopens.

Simon

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Keepnets are legally allowed for pleasure fishing as long as the venue allows it. As it stands at the moment it is up to each individual angler and each fishery to maintain a united front with the Angling Trust and not to use keepnets, however, as we see at times it is not happening.

Not ethical at this present time to do so though

Simon R

Site Supporter
So despite the fact that the bloke from the Angling Trust on the video that was posted the other day said pleasure anglers could use keepnets, despite the fact that I'm breaking no EA rules or regulations and despite the fact that the fishery was quite happy for me to use a keepnet I'm still in the wrong??

Can't understand the logic behind that

Simon

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Did Brafferton have a match on this weekend as I heard whispers they were planning to?

Simon R

Site Supporter
Did Brafferton have a match on this weekend as I heard whispers they were planning to?
Pass - Lloyd never mentioned anything about it - our proposed match on the 10th May was cancelled and we're not due back there until mid-July - by which time, hopefully, matches will be back up and running.

Simon

pal.64

Pretty unpleasant visit to Brafferton on Wednesday 20th....just about every peg taken, none spare. All lakes full of day trippers lobbing out huge pellet feeders and or lumps of floating bread. Even the F1 match lake was stacked out with pleasure anglers.
The wafts of constant Weed drifting over Ghost lake 2 pegs d.own from me just about did it for me....role on the matches coming back when it’s organised, appropriately distanced between

I had a day at Brafferton on Monday 18th May, it was fairly quiet, I fished on Ghost Lake and there were just 5 other anglers on this particular lake, I was there from 9am - 6pm. The fishing was superb, conditions were windy and overcast but dry, I caught all day long on every bait I tried. I chucked a pellet feeder out towards the island with a 6mm pink bandum wafter which produced a nice mirror of around 3lb, but I soon concentrated on my main line of attack which was on the pole down the margins. I built the swim up all day and by 2pm it was a carp every drop in, ranging from around 1lb up to around 5lb, lots of silvers also and even a baby perch and a gudgeon. I fed ground bait, micros and hemp, and loose offerings of dead maggot, corn and meat, if the carp seemed to disappear, then topping up the swim brought them back. On the hook, dead maggot, corn, meat and expanders, which all produced fish, with a big bunch of dead maggots probably being the most deadly. I probably had around 30 carp and countless silvers, and the bites were still coming thick and fast when I packed up.