Buses (or lack of them).

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Went to the next village to go to the bank and was met off the bus by 3 or 4 people handing out leaflets. Now let me just say that our buses currently run at 1 an hour, none on Sundays. This, in someones infinite wisdom, is going to change...for the worse. Apparently plans are afoot to alter said buses to 1 every 2 hours with still none on Sundays. Whoever dreamt up that garbage wasn't thinking clearly of those round here with hospital appointments etc. A bus ride to the nearest hospital from here is around 50 minutes. Those members who have been here will have noticed that I'm practically living in the 'sticks' so to speak and I no longer drive, so halving the amount of buses is pure lunacy, bonkers, and absolutely crackers.
Rant over.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
The subsidy to run rural bus services is being cut, ergo, fewer busses.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The subsidy to run rural bus services is being cut, ergo, fewer busses.

But it's not a rural bus, that's just it. The bus runs through here to get to Wakefield, a fairly big city. Another runs through here to get to Pontefract. Both buses are owned by big companies, Arriva being one of them.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Less buses = Less pollution , you’ll have to go and get yourself a new motor

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Any change for the worse is hardly likely to please you. However, with one bus an hour, except Sundays, it sounds like you were doing far better than most rural (village) communities. There are three towns inside of fifteen miles of my village location. Getting to one of them by bus is very awkward. It was, at least until they started snipping services there, the location of the primary local hospital. A bus every two hours or so is about par for the course in most villages in my area. They are also getting inventive by increasing use of the "Little White Bus" service (glorified mini-buses) rather than 30/40 seaters. The harsh reality is that, no matter how much regular bus users dislike it, it's not economically viable to run very regular bus services through most villages.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
herein lies the kicker.... they want folks out of cars and to use an integrated public transport system to lessen car pollution and damage to roads, yet there is no integrated public transport system in place for the public to use... bloddy ridiculous... and all political parties are to blame for this not just one....

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
When whatsisname .... Prince ' fat cat ' Andrew starts using a bus instead of his helicopter I may consider using public transport myself. Do as I say and not as I do spring to mind. Talk about hypocrisy of politicians and the Royal's. Trying to get us plebs to stop using our cars so that they can carry on jetting around. ...... Rant over. ??

Sorry to hear of your predicament Peter. Maybe a letter to your local MP ?

Tyecon

I get one bus a week on a Thursday picks up at 9am and comes back around 430pm

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh... we have a bus into Nottingham from our village every 10-15 minutes, and then once at hour in late evening, until about 3am at the weekends... perhaps there's a reason why the bus services in Notts regularly win awards! Not something I've really thought about, but shows that it is very easy to take for granted.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not a letter, sent email instead. The postal service round here is also a bit 'iffy'.
There 's more ' public services and amenities ' sat in a bivvy at the side of the Trent than there is in South Kirkby mate. Not good pal. Not good. ?

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I used to work in deepest Northumberland, the local village only had one bus per week, that went into Hexham the nearest town at 8:30 on market day (Thursday) and returned at 5:00, it took over an hour and a half to travel the 20 or so miles as I picked up in all of the villages in the area. So the drive to get cars off the road and all use public transport goes completely tits up if you don't live in a major city

baboboy

Site Supporter
Oh... we have a bus into Nottingham from our village every 10-15 minutes, and then once at hour in late evening, until about 3am at the weekends... perhaps there's a reason why the bus services in Notts regularly win awards! Not something I've really thought about, but shows that it is very easy to take for granted.
Yes we're spoilt we live on the Nottinghamshire\Derbyshire border. We have bus than runs from the bottom of our road to Nottingham or Derby. Every 15 minutes. It's one of the reasons we have been able to go down to one car as it's a reliable service.