Burton Joyce Road Stretch: Macmillan Charity Match - Saturday 25th June

Added to Calendar: 25/06/22

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Would love to but 4 hour drive puts me off. If it were closer I would get on it for sure.

ravey

Although I have some leave booked for next week, I reckon the match will be my first session of the new season. I need to tie a few hooks up, sort some rigs out, and general fettling in the meantime. If anyone ventures onto the river, please let us know how you get on to give us an idea of what to expect😁

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Although I have some leave booked for next week, I reckon the match will be my first session of the new season. I need to tie a few hooks up, sort some rigs out, and general fettling in the meantime. If anyone ventures onto the river, please let us know how you get on to give us an idea of what to expect😁
Just coming to the end of a 10 week kitchen renovation so this will also be my first day out of the new season. Looking forward to wetting a line and drowning some maggots, just hope I remember which way to face :unsure::unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

IanG1

Site Supporter
Bream showed today apparently along with plenty of dace and roach

FB_IMG_1655581310770.jpg

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just arrived for a play today. Fair to say it’s looking good :) Report at the other end.

Attachments

• 5FEBD7FF-82DD-4D73-B29E-AEB653A765C1.jpeg
    5FEBD7FF-82DD-4D73-B29E-AEB653A765C1.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 50D41F8D-D356-40FD-8977-E95351D54A00.jpeg
    50D41F8D-D356-40FD-8977-E95351D54A00.jpeg
    513.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 58CBA924-6F5D-4D0A-954E-FEB54FC50319.jpeg
    58CBA924-6F5D-4D0A-954E-FEB54FC50319.jpeg
    482.4 KB · Views: 19

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well, I experimented. I decided I would only float fish today and had to chase the fish around - some came to the whip, some on a stick line about 2 rod lengths out, and most at about 4-5 rod lengths on the edge of the main flow (which is where I expected them).

I was never able to get more than 2 or 3 fish in a burst, but ended up with dace, bleak, roach, gudgeon and perch for a couple of pounds. I daresay I would have had more on the feeder from the peg I was on.

Burton Joyce 19th June 22.jpg

There was a match on the same pegs as us next week (7-27), and chatting to a couple of them, there have been a few bream caught, apparently someone has had a decent perch (3-4lb) and then a similar story with the silvers - the roach are definitely not here yet - although unsurprisingly, the float fishing was better nearer the outflow (pegs in the 20s).

60g apparently is holding fine for the feeder - I was fishing an 8xNo4 stick and pinging it out.

If you don't know the stretch, this is how far you have to walk (and you park on the grass, so it really is next to where you fish on every single peg).

IMG_8813.JPG

The bank can be a bit steep, but not too bad. If you are planning to fish the feeder, you can probably do so from the bank in every swim. If you want to float fish, being able to put your box/feet in the edge of the water makes it a bit easier, but it's not vital. This is how I was set up today.

IMG_8818.JPG

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Any jet skiers
Nope - and I think perhaps only 4 boats all day, and all far enough out to make no difference (apart from one which had wake that created a tsunami, helpfully filling the bottom 2 drawers of my seatbox with river).

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
In essence pegs 21-27 have the outflow pushing through and are the hotter stick float pegs, but feeder to the edge of that flow also works. The outflow (in my first picture from the morning) is immediately to the right of 27. Lower than 20 essentially wide and steady. Mostly about 8-10ft deep by a few rods out. You’ll pick up fish on the float in any pegs, bream can show up (and have been) anywhere on the length and depending on the shoal average anything between 4-8lb. They do seem to be in the flow, but I was catching perch in 3ft of water by my feet. You essentially have the choice of going on the feeder and hoping to find a bream shoal, or you work a float line. Dace seem to be there in numbers at the moment and I had a couple around the 8oz mark

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh, if it makes a difference, flow is right to left. I know a few of you are travelling a good distance - nothing stopping you carrying on after the match on Day Ticket should you wish to

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
In essence pegs 21-27 have the outflow pushing through and are the hotter stick float pegs, but feeder to the edge of that flow also works. The outflow (in my first picture from the morning) is immediately to the right of 27. Lower than 20 essentially wide and steady. Mostly about 8-10ft deep by a few rods out. You’ll pick up fish on the float in any pegs, bream can show up (and have been) anywhere on the length and depending on the shoal average anything between 4-8lb. They do seem to be in the flow, but I was catching perch in 3ft of water by my feet. You essentially have the choice of going on the feeder and hoping to find a bream shoal, or you work a float line. Dace seem to be there in numbers at the moment and I had a couple around the 8oz mark
Thanks. I think it will be bream or bust for me but could be a huge gamble if it is hot and bright...mind you the barbel at East Stoke last year didn't mind sir.😊

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
That’s likely to be my plan if I draw a peg in the teens. In terms of barbel, none at all came out in the match on Sunday, but they’ve been being caught in the next section

jononcb

It's not to say that no one will get a Barbel - it could happen but historically the Ferry Field and Nelson Field sections have more chance of hooking a Barbel!!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@jononcb No point bringing the 2 Lb TC Barbel rods then :cry::) I did wonder if I clipped up on the feeder and a Barbel took the bait, whether I would be holding on to the rod, waterskiing down the Trent. :ROFLMAO: I am guessing there aren't many chub coming out if the Barbel are scarce, given they like similar spots.