Burning Bum

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
shame it wasn't a half decent explosive one... they could have used it in schools to show the dangers of being a total knobhead!

Wise Owl

Account Locked
My mate is a Porter at Jimmys and he says the amount of Firework accidents on the run up to and on the 5th outnumber any other accidents on any time of the Year in A&E.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The NHS shouldn't be expected to treat self-inflicted injuries - the perpetrator's insurance should cover it, or he should pay for it himself; and if he hasn't got insurance, Hard Luck.

H T B

Site Supporter
The NHS shouldn't be expected to treat self-inflicted injuries - the perpetrator's insurance should cover it, or he should pay for it himself; and if he hasn't got insurance, Hard Luck.
Self inflicted!
Does that include fat b*****ds that eat too much, smokers, junkies etc
(I think it should ;) )

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's actually going to be an interesting point when the NHS is flogged off and we all have to have health insurance...... will they pay out for idiots like that!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
HTB = yes,. I think it should. Millions of people throughout the world have no state heath service they can take advantage of. And they tend to die - what we have is a brilliant system which people tend to take unfair advantage of. The NHS was never intended to do anything anyone wanted - it was a basic attempt to keep people alive and treat basic problems. Remember it came into being when the country was on its knees financially. Our current system (we're all in it together) should be a team effort by our citizens (doctors, nurses, surgeons, and including you and me) and anyone who deliberately opts out of that team effort should pay the price. It's not as if there's no advice available on how to live healthily (or sensibly).

Eating yourself to death is an insult to those team players who try to take care of their bodies.

Years ago it was suggested that the UK should have what was then an Australian system of insurance, run by the state. You choose your level of insurance and it is deducted from your pay like National Insurance was. If you are of working age and don't pay in you turn to the charities part-funded by the government, who decide what treatment you should be given. But the lure of votes persuaded governments to pander to the Great Unwashed.

Having said that, the main single problem with the NHS is managers, many of whom are next to useless and (in my view) corrupt and in league with some of the drugs companies.

Incidentally, when I started work in 1958 you got no unemployment benefit until you had worked and paid in National insurance for six months...people didn't die in the streets! They got work. Or relatives helped them. Life is a team effort. Always will be.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
HTB = yes,. I think it should. Millions of people throughout the world have no state heath service they can take advantage of. And they tend to die - what we have is a brilliant system which people tend to take unfair advantage of. The NHS was never intended to do anything anyone wanted - it was a basic attempt to keep people alive and treat basic problems. Remember it came into being when the country was on its knees financially. Our current system (we're all in it together) should be a team effort by our citizens (doctors, nurses, surgeons, and including you and me) and anyone who deliberately opts out of that team effort should pay the price. It's not as if there's no advice available on how to live healthily (or sensibly).

Eating yourself to death is an insult to those team players who try to take care of their bodies.

Years ago it was suggested that the UK should have what was then an Australian system of insurance, run by the state. You choose your level of insurance and it is deducted from your pay like National Insurance was. If you are of working age and don't pay in you turn to the charities part-funded by the government, who decide what treatment you should be given. But the lure of votes persuaded governments to pander to the Great Unwashed.

Having said that, the main single problem with the NHS is managers, many of whom are next to useless and (in my view) corrupt and in league with some of the drugs companies.

Incidentally, when I started work in 1958 you got no unemployment benefit until you had worked and paid in National insurance for six months...people didn't die in the streets! They got work. Or relatives helped them. Life is a team effort. Always will be.
Showed my wife your post. She has worked for the NHS for 37 years. ( midwife ). She says .... " He's bang on there. Especially the bit about usless managers " ?

rudd

Site Supporter

A and E on Saturday's and Sundays consists of mainly weekend warriors injured playing or partaking in various sports or physical activities whi!st trying to keep fit followed by alcohol related injuries then DIY injuries!

The biggest drain on the NHS are those who waste GP and A/E time with minor ailments such as colds, sore throats, heartburn etc etc.
Spurned on by social media no doubt or looking at the internet, self diagnoses making them think they are seriously ill.
Technology is a relatively new disease facing the NHS.
I can work from home, dial a beer, dial a gram, dial a twenty bag order my shopping, dial a cleaner, do my banking or order any form of junk food possible from my phone and have the lot delivered to my door.
My thumbs are healthy!

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
We will agree to differ on what is the biggest drain on the NHS. My point is that if the managers (ie of the various hospitals and trusts and those in government who make the rules including the secretary of State for Health and Social Care) did their job properly they would find a way of preventing the sort of time-wasting you mention.

As for their other failings - we have a friend who worked for a surgeon in the NHS and they were not allowed to change a light bulb - they had to call in a contractor who charged a £40 call-out fee every time he came. Do you not think that could be managed better? After all we are now living in the 21st century! And managers are paid an enormous amount of money to manage.