Burglar Alarm SNAFU

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I am sitting here with a burglar alarm that has gone haywire and waiting for an out of hours engineer to call. What I really want to do is go to bed but the damn thing keeps bleeping and has gone off once already.

Could be a long night.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Can you pull the turn off fuse in fuse box ours has a fuse switch in main fuse box
It would seem that the power supply has been interrupted and that is the problem. Batter backup is not coping so the alarm keeps going off. Just turning off the power does no good as the system is designed so that it operates on battery and even if you rip the control box off the wall the sounder box has its own battery and will keep going.

Seemed to get sorted for a couple of hours then SNAFU again at 1. Now waiting for an engineer to call and ltalk me through disabling the whole thing. Then it will be an emergency call out tomorrow to sort it out, probably needs a new battery.

It was OK until its annual service two weeks ago!

Arch

Site Supporter
It’s normally the battery that has gone. In normal use the alarm runs off the mains, when that’s off, the battery should take over. If the battery is faulty the alarm will activate itself. That’s why when there’s a power cut all the alarms go off. If you can, put it in “engineer” mode and either replace the battery or disconnect it.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
They think it may also be the power pack that transforms 240v AC to DC. So new one on order. Battery pack is ten years old.

And in case anyone wonders. The house (NOTN Towers) will not be unoccupied before repairs effected.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
When our alarm did that I cut the siren off, bliss no out of hours call out no more yearly service charge, no more alarm, fancy box on the outside. House alarms do very little anyway most people in the neighbourhood ignore it as its assumed its just malfunctioning, or unwilling to get involved this includes calling the police. A wast of time and money.

samlill

It would seem that the power supply has been interrupted and that is the problem. Batter backup is not coping so the alarm keeps going off. Just turning off the power does no good as the system is designed so that it operates on battery and even if you rip the control box off the wall the sounder box has its own battery and will keep going.

Seemed to get sorted for a couple of hours then SNAFU again at 1. Now waiting for an engineer to call and ltalk me through disabling the whole thing. Then it will be an emergency call out tomorrow to sort it out, probably needs a new battery.

It was OK until its annual service two weeks ago!
i think your service engineer had you over,serviced two weeks ago didn't change ten year old batteries,or notify you, YEEE HAA.. :mad:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'd love to know what they did to call it a service, we've always had our battery changed as a matter of course, they're cheap as chips really so no reason not to.
The same with bell boxes, we've two active bell boxes and a while back one flashed but stopped making a noise - a couple of screws, trip to the electrical factors, new box on the wall with the wires connected.

david white

Site Supporter
They think it may also be the power pack that transforms 240v AC to DC. So new one on order. Battery pack is ten years old.

And in case anyone wonders. The house (NOTN Towers) will not be unoccupied before repairs effected.
Unfortunately either the 240 volt to 13 volt transformer and or AC to DC converter can ( and often does ) fail often without any obvious warning
However
It is widely accepted that the standby 12 volt battery has a shelf life of 4 years and ought to be changed thereafter as a matter of course ( the customer can decline of course but if your alarm has a annual service at the very least it ought to have been recorded as ‘ out of date ‘

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Unfortunately either the 240 volt to 13 volt transformer and or AC to DC converter can ( and often does ) fail often without any obvious warning
However
It is widely accepted that the standby 12 volt battery has a shelf life of 4 years and ought to be changed thereafter as a matter of course ( the customer can decline of course but if your alarm has a annual service at the very least it ought to have been recorded as ‘ out of date ‘
Serviced two weeks ago. I'll tell the alarm company what they have done wrong.

david white

Site Supporter
Serviced two weeks ago. I'll tell the alarm company what they have done wrong.
I’d certainly question them at the very least
Do you get a written report following the service, at the very least it ought to state the standby battery install date and it’s operating voltage
I’ll screenshot one of my maintenance / service dockets and pm you one tomorrow if that helps

JayBee

Site Supporter
I do not expect it to be an alarm fault, rather suspect @chefster making an unlawful entry to examining your proven equipment and rigs, especially for successful f1 catching!.