burbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

chub

is the burbot totally extint in the uk or does it still exist below is a picture or a burbot.

Datafile3.jpg

i love catching chub

joe1987

'Darwener'
Sorry mate never heard of it!!! Bit like a turbot??? Is it freshwater???

Toodlepip
**Joe-boy**

joe1987

'Darwener'
Found it. Freshwater cod aint it? Someone says he caught a double figure one in a river in 2000 http://www.voy.com/7034/979.html but i think from the websites ive been on they are extinct in UK. Lots in america and there are some plans for them to be re-introduced into britain. Try this http://www.ukbap.org.uk/asp/UKPlans.asp?UKListID=423#1 looks like theres a plan.

Toodlepip
**Joe-boy**

Simon R

Site Supporter
The only freshwater member of the cod family - long since extinct in this country though.
You could spend an awful lot of rod-hours trying to catch one!

Simon

chub

i hope that the EA get of there arses now that the rivers are getting cleaner and bring back the burbot to british rivers were they belong.

i love catching chub

MALC

Dont think it would happen as they require colder water than we now have over here also with the Cormorant problems it IMHO would be a waste of time and money that could be put to better use in other ways with the UK's River system.

MALC
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote:Originally posted by chub

i hope that the EA get of there arses

If you can imagine just how much water there is in the english/welsh area that the Ea are responcible for mate then thats a lot of water.

Plus of course the rivers etc wouldn't be so clean if it wasn't for the EA so i guess they've already got of their arses & done a hell of a lot.

Another problem is the amount of alloted money the EA get each year, a lot of this is spent on game fish for the "gentry" or MP's to you n me (due to orders from above (ie the mp's), they make some money from rod licences & to be totally honest if those who fish without a licence were to pay up like the rest of us then the EA would have even more money to "play" with.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

chub

trogg i no that the ea have done an exellent job at bringing rivers that were very polluted back to life you only have to look at the rise in otter numbers for proof of that as they need very clean water to survive.

I just wish that they could spend some time reintoducing the burbot to a few places in england were it could breed in the wild and then spread around the country.

I also wish that the govenment would get on top of the cormarant problem maybee the people who go fox hunting witch hopfully will be banned in england could go cormarant hunting instead .

i love catching chub

Lid

There'd be no point in sending fox hunters cormorant hunting as fox hunters don't control foxes. In fact if anything they encourage foxes and move them around so they have something to chase. If they went after cormorants they'd only increase their numbers and wreck the place in the process.

Foxes are controlled by the game keepers and the hunt don't like them cos guess what, they are very good at keeping the numbers down. I know this from personal experience.

Lid [:)]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.