Bumping small fish

aljolson

on the pole when targeting small fish less than 4 oz and usually using barbless b511's or on rivers barbless b611s I find I bump far too may fish for my liking
I switched to a barbed version of the hooks and stopped bumping them completely
I don't like using barbed hooks and normally flatten the barb down and find this helps reduce bumping but I realise a lot of waters barbed hooks are banned regardless.
my elastic is that loose it usually hangs out of the end an inch or 3 and im using solid purple or green middy hi viz elastic

what can I do to stop bumping fish? its usually the ounce or less fish that come off

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Softer/lighter elastic, long point hooks, strike sideways,....?
I use the middy high viz( green) hollow 4-6 and have no issues....

Zerkalo

Agree barbed hooks can be a nightmare when unhooking small fish even when using a very small hook. Learned this from canal fishing. Flattening the barb is a good tip.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Don't wish to sound contrary, but if I bump a fish of less than 4oz, I'm happy.
Or are we talking match fishing here, in which case every ounce and dram counts?

lp1886

Site Supporter
If you’re bumping them how do you know they are 4oz. Are you fishing in shallow or deep water (over 6ft)?

Zerkalo

I think it's red B512s I used to use for bloodworm and joker, size 24s. They bend out of shape on the mouth of a gudgeon if you're not careful.

alsur

Site Supporter
Don't see any need for a 4-6 elastic for small fish, I'd go down to a 3 maybe even a 2 and use less of it, when fishing for small fish on regular basis I normally used elastic in top one only and that was an old style no one.

Zerkalo

It's always a pleasure to be able to fish solely for small fish without too much chance of getting snapped up by a big perch or something as I've found keeps happening on my last few canal outtings. As light elastic and small hook as possible. Maybe even a flick tip whip.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
On most of my canal outings I am catching fish that average under an ounce. I rarely bump fish.

I use a solid 4 elastic but with small hooks. The old IM1 size 24 and the Sensas 3530 size 20. Both barbed. As long as you get into the habit of always using a disgorger then unhooking should not be a problem.

aljolson

thanks for input, the two waters I fish often where it happens are 3 foot and 8 foot deep

how do I know they are 4 oz or an ounce? well usually as soon as you strike u know the weight of the fish, and if you are bagging and they are all the same size you just know what you've hooked even if its for a split second. its usually the smaller ounce fish that cause the probs.

and they aren't always bumped immediately after being hooked, sometimes its during playing them/shipping back.

and id like to be able to use barbless hooks without the need to doctor barbed hooks

I thought purple hi viz and green were light-ish elastics? green is rated 3-4? and if I hook an 8 oz fish with that im sure over a yard comes out. like I said I have it set slack and I too have got it just through the top section only.

maybe I need to go even lighter
ill try some white hi viz rated 1-2 and see if that sorts it.

im sure in the early nineties I used to use some blue stuff cant remember brand and think that was 4? yellow was 6 and I also used pink? 3
long time ago but we used b520's size 22-24 and nowt came off

maybe its my inability to not be sh!t using barbless hooks

aljolson

just had a look and the green im using rated 3-4 on the spool it says target fish gudgeon bleak roach skimmer etc
surely that's not too heavy?

Trailblazer

Account Locked
On most of my canal outings I am catching fish that average under an ounce. I rarely bump fish.

I use a solid 4 elastic but with small hooks. The old IM1 size 24 and the Sensas 3530 size 20. Both barbed. As long as you get into the habit of always using a disgorger then unhooking should not be a problem.

Good advice on using a disgorger, I use a disgorger to unhook 99% of the fish I catch, removes the hook much cleaner and quicker than faffing with fingers. Imo a disgorger is way better than forseps also.
Always makes me cringe when I see people trying to remove a hook thats gone inside a fishes mouth!!

lp1886

Site Supporter
If the fish are coming off the hook it could be the hook isn’t being set. Logic suggests the elastic may be too heavy, but you may actually need to go up a grade. I always used middy 4-6 and B511 hooks and suffered with bumped fish in deep water. I changed to a middy 6-8 and B520 hooks and rarely bump fish on this set up. I think the finer wire hooks were also springing open on the strike which caused problems.

aljolson

one thing I have realised yesterday that I don't bother with is that hooks can go blunt or get the point bent and only looking at it under a jewelers eyepiece or similar can you notice this
(guess what I was doing yesterday...)

so ive got a few things to try now
cheers

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
So what is the best tactic for the kind of situation I had at my local lakes recently; I set up my margin pole with a mid-range elastic in the knowledge that there are some reasonable fish to be had. First put in, out goes the elastic and I'm dragged all over the lake by a major lump and a half. I pulled yards of elastic out of the back end and I still had to stand with the top kit high above my head to eventually get my quarry in the net.
Once bitten, twice shy. I swapped to a meaty solid elastic top kit (18 I think) and then spent the next couple of hours bumping shedloads of little stuff.
You can't win. (Well I can't anyway).

tedstriker

Site Supporter
what elastic do you class as mid range? when using a lighter elastic it is a case of using the pulla as much as possible to get the fish into the net