Bulk buying groundbait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beebs

I have very quickly realised that buying groundbait in 1kg bags is very expensive. Does anybody know where I could buy it in bulk (5kg to 25kg). I've had a bit of a trawl around the net, but have drawn a bit of a blank. I found M16 baits that sell particles in bulk, but not groundbait. All suggestions welcome.

DJ.gif

Larry

Lazarus
Iget mine from my horse & corn &dog&cat food suppliers but some tackle shop's sell 25kg bags i paid about 12.00 for the last one of brown crumb ,also i get my molasse's from there as well About6.50 for a gallon Van den Ends is about 3.50 for a small bottle i also buy my hemp in 25 kg bag's as well.

Cheer's Larry

Larry

Lazarus
If it;s particle's only Hinder's do it bulk click on this link for Hinders http://www.hinders.co.uk/

Cheer's Larry

MALC

Beebs,
As Larry has said most normal feeds such as the following can all be bought at a fraction of the cost from animal feed merchants:-Hemp,Tares,Wheat,Oats,Groats,Every Type of Bread Crumb,Maize,Every Type of Pellet,Fishmeal and a Thousand of things.

But if it's the Sensas/VDE type groundbaits your after in bulk then it's a matter of buying it by the case from your local tackle shop and sorting out a decent bulk purchase discount ideal if a few of you split the cost.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Beebs

How does mixing and matching your own blends of brown crumb, particles etc compare with shop bought stuff. I used a bag and a bit of Sensas 3000 on Monday at 2.85 a bag with dynamite baits frenzied hemp seed and casters. It seemed pretty good and kept the crucians bubbling all day, so at the moment I think it seems ok. I've also been away a while and don't have a clue to any decent groundbait recipes. I've just bought a year's permit for some lovely lakes and rivers near where I live and on that permit is a set of gravel pits 5 minutes from my house, so evening and weekend sessions are on the cards. This could work out very expensive in shop bought bait. I have seen 25kg of cooked hempseed for about 21 which I didn't think was that bad. Coming up with an attractive groundbait to mix it into - well I wouldn't know where to begin. Can any of you out there please help with some tips and pointersicon_smile_question.gif. I fish for anything at the moment so a general all round mix would be preferable. I'm not after any of your secret recipes, it's just that short of toasting up a dozen loaves of bread and bunging it in a liquidizer, I really am clueless. Where would you find animal feed shops? I've never had a horse, so it's never entered into the equation. I apologise if I seem a bit lost, but fishing has changed SO much since I last did it regularly - I mean Barbel rods, baitrunners goofy.gif - you didn't have them in my day!!! I remember when they used to be called roach poles scream.gif I sound like a right old git and I'm only 30 help.gif .

DJ.gif

MALC

Beebs,
About 85% of my groundbait feeds/ingredients come from the Grain merchants/horse feed merchants with the rest being bought in tackle shops normaly in bulk.

I personaly have full faith in mixing up my own mixes from scratch and also enjoy it.

Regards a mix to get by with, if you want to stay with tackle shop bought groundbaits then get some fine brown crumb and mix it 50/50 with which ever you choose and this will work out cheaper.

One way of getting cheap crumb is if you got a bakery near you have a word with them and they will normaly sort you out with a regular cheap supplie.

Also where abouts in Bucks do you live as i know a few people down that way and also used to work in the area so may be able to get you some local suppliers details if you want.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Something else you folks might want to investigate is from the grain/feed merchant as well.

I buy 50lb bags of a mix designed to feed chickens that are running around somewhat loose in a yard or pen (as compared to those kept in small cages for egg production). It is called "chicken scratch mix" because that is the way they eat it. Maize that has been crushed a bit and a number of other grains with all the larger ones broken up some.

Pour boiling water over it and let it sit overnight and you have a nice mix of seeds/grains. Make a great looking cloud when a scoop goes in the water as well. Could easily be mixed with some molasses and some sort of binder so it would ball up.

Cost here is $6 per 50lb bag

Newt Vail

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Newt,

That's an old favourite (favorite icon_smile.gif) of mine. Over here we call it Layers Meal and it is a brilliant Tench and Carp attractant when used with crumb to bind it.

Beebs, the animal food suppliers are the way to go. I regularly buy mine from there. The mix I use is 1kg of white crumb, 1kg of brown crumb, 1 kg of red crumb, 1kg of fishmeal, kg of split maize and kg of mini carp pellets (pond fish pellets) and it works well for all styles of fishing, even the method, depending on the amount of water added.

Dave

darryl

you could also try the pet shop for vitalin dog food or your local morrisons supermarket it contains allsorts of goodies and oils at 4.50 for 10kg it makes agreat bulking agent for carp and bream.............darryl imwithstupid.gif

work`s for them who can`t fish

Larry

Lazarus
That's a thought i'd forgotten about Layers mash. I don't mix mine in bulk i prefer to mix mine as &when i need it as iv'e found if you mix to much up a once it goe's flat stops working.so here my mix i use half pint cups so i put 4 cups of brown crumb 2 cup's of Carp 3000,2 cups of ground hemp,(helps mix to fizz,)1cup of sweetcorn,2 cup's of boiled hemp,1 cup of mixed maggots,.i mix this dry &use the water from the hemp i boiled to mix it up with .i save hemp water in pop bottle to use in my mix .then when i get venue use the pool water to complete mix.&use what ever other hook bait your using to enhance mix this is a general mix if i want to use for Method feedr add some binder mix.

Cheer's Larry

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Question - I ran across the below information on a web site detailing the various mixes used by the author for his chickens and turkeys. I know the "American" pieces are correct about the grain/corn terminology. How about the "England" one?

From http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html

Grain: American term meaning any small, hard seeds, especially grass-family seeds (called corn in England)

Corn: American term meaning maize corn, or "corn on the cob" (in England "corn" means what grain means in the US)

Also on the terminology thing - over here a "scratch mix" is all grains - either crushed as with the corn, roasted as with the soybeans, or plain as with some of the smaller grains.

Layer Mash has about 15-18% protein added and in addition is ground much finer than the scratch mix/feed.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 06 June 2002 10:05:39 PM

Beebs

quote:

Also where abouts in Bucks do you live as i know a few people down that way and also used to work in the area so may be able to get you some local suppliers details if you want.

Hi Malc, don't live in Bucks anymore (used to live in Aylesbury) I now live in Farnborough in Hampshire, where I intend to stay for the foreseeable. It looks like I need to get friendly with a baker who owns a horse and some chickens in North Hampshire. HHmmmmm.
Thanks for all the tips folks, as I thought, I am quite out of touch with modern fishing methods. Brown crumb? Can I get large amounts of it in animal feed merchants? I apologise sincerely if I appear a bit daft (I'm not really).

DJ.gif

dazb

beebs

i have a load of info on mix's etc if you wish, e mail me your home
address and i will copy as much as i can find and snail mail it to you
because if i can find it all i would blow up the system with the
info, if i e mailed it to you.

dazb

Status
Not open for further replies.