Build over agreement

NobbyHall

Site Supporter
We are selling our house and the sewer goes under the kitchen exstention. We belive this was built pre 1972 but have no paperwork for it. Our buyers solicitor has asked for a copy of the build over agreement. Would one have been needed back then as I belive all the sewers were adopted by the water companys back in 2011. If there is one where would I be able to get a copy.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When you say 'sewer' are you referring to a shared pipe, ie one taking waste from several properties, or one specific to your property which links to the sewer network in the road?

If the former then an agreement would have made with the local water authority to build over it, however it is seldom requested.
If you contact the local council building control and ask if the extension was signed off, if so any build over pipes would have been inspected at the time and passed as appropriate.

NobbyHall

Site Supporter
Yes theres 4 that share it to the main sewer under the road. The land registry document states that the 4 of us are liable to pay for maintance in equal shares. My buyers solicitors have done a sech which shows its public. I will contract build control on monday to check that out and at the same I could ask about the internal alterations being signed off again this is probably pre 1972. I may have to buy an indemnity insurance to cover that one.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As far as I am aware the land registry document might be outdated in that respect as the water authorities are now responsible for shared drains regardless if they are on private property or not.

we had the same when we sold our house but ours was a conservatory which i did myself we just brought a indemnity policy think it was £115 it would of cost a lot more than that if i had asked for build over approval from severn trent because in most cases they want u to divert the drains around the extension ball ache just get the indemnity policy and forget about think u may be right though don’t think the build over rubbish came into play until 2011