Budget Whips

rincon60

Hi

Recently Ive found myself fishing rivers/boat yards for slivers and like the idea of something a bit more simple and quicker than a rod/reel

Ive never fished with a pole or a whip in my life but wouldnt mind a go.

While most of the fish are small silvers there is always the chance of big roach/rudd, bream in the 2-4lb bracket and some nice sized perch.

Thinking of trying around 5m to start with.

Ive seen posts on here about cheaper end whips including a Chinese one but wondered about the Middy Baggin Machine 5.5 metre which comes with 3 tops, 2 with elastic in and one flic tip. Is this too much beef for silvers? Even with the flic tip

There seem to be a lot of makes doing whips for around £30 or even less - are they any good or should I look out for a better 2nd hand one?

Thanks everyone

davepellet

Depends what you mean by whip, there’s quite a lot of short, beefy poles around that appear under ‘whip’ on an eBay search, but they are more margin pole than whip.

If you’re after something below a ton have a look at the telescopic senses range, they used to do them to 6m with solid flick tip but I think theyre now limited to 5m and the tip sections all seem to be hollow to allow elastication
I think matrix recently did a 6 or 7m whip too for under £100... but never saw one

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Have a look at the NGT range of whips, they'll do everything you ask of them, solid flick tip and reasonably lightweight but with enough backbone to handle surprise bream or bigger stronger perch
Should get what you want for under £40

Freesolo82

The middy one you are looking at should be fine, don't worry about it being beefy as long as it's stiff which is most important, the issue will be what elastic you choose and looking at the fishing you are doing a 6 solid should do the job

rincon60

Depends what you mean by whip, there’s quite a lot of short, beefy poles around that appear under ‘whip’ on an eBay search, but they are more margin pole than whip.

If you’re after something below a ton have a look at the telescopic senses range, they used to do them to 6m with solid flick tip but I think theyre now limited to 5m and the tip sections all seem to be hollow to allow elastication
I think matrix recently did a 6 or 7m whip too for under £100... but never saw one
thank you, I'll take a look

rincon60

Have a look at the NGT range of whips, they'll do everything you ask of them, solid flick tip and reasonably lightweight but with enough backbone to handle surprise bream or bigger stronger perch
Should get what you want for under £40
the NGT ones do seem good value, think they are sold through Cash Converters haha, I'll take a look

rincon60

The middy one you are looking at should be fine, don't worry about it being beefy as long as it's stiff which is most important, the issue will be what elastic you choose and looking at the fishing you are doing a 6 solid should do the job
can you change the Elastic to a finer one? (sorry, really know nothing about them) I think the Middy one which I have found for £25 comes with a rating of 22

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Some on here have these,
I have repeated some of this on another thread but have reproduced it here for completeness.
I had ordered a 7m carbon whip for £10.50 delivered from Aliexpress! (This did include a coupon plus discounted "Singles day" price - real price now £15.60 delivered.) If you can get past the differences in action they are very suited to UK style fishing and versatile - I have used Chinese whips at Port Talbot Docks with floats up to 5g.
Well the whip turned up , well wrapped in sturdy bubble wrap, taken a bit longer than usual because of Black Friday and Singles Day (11th Nov) sales. Unwrapped and found extra top 2 sections, float, rig winder set up already, two packs of float stops, a plastic donut(?) and a handle wrap similar to what you would put on a badminton racquet. On digital kitchen scales it went 233g but then I realised that I had left the bung in place, that weighed 22g so weight of whip itself is 211g. Interestingly the stated weight is 255g. Butt diameter is 23mm and tip is 0.9mm. Closed length 780mm.
IMG_20201203_170908_3CS.jpg
On investigating the extras further the packs that I thought were float stops are actually a complete rig making kit.

IMG_20201204_131149_540.jpg

In the packet are float stops, a green float adapter a swivel, a plastic in line boom and a thin lead strip. Unwinding the made up rig you can see how it all fits together. The float stops for the float and weight make it a very versatile rig in terms of depth and the hook length is attached via the swivel. I can see me setting a rig up in similar fashion but using either a loop or a mini quick change swivel in place of the swivel.
Went out yesterday to give it a try but conditions were awful with very heavy rain the night before, the lake was flowing like a river in flood with a huge whirlpool type eddy. Gave it almost an hour and packed up when the water started to come through the platform! Had one gudgeon so not a fair test of the whip but I was quite pleased with it and can see me using it on the river in future!
7m.png
The whip was not as "floppy" as some Chinese whips but not as rigid as it's European counterparts but did feel robust despite it's slim profile. I will give it a better try out once conditions are more favourable but for the price I am impressed!

Silver fan 82

Have a look at the Leeda concept gt whip. A nice, good value whip but I can only see it available at 3 meters on ebay at the moment.
Garbolino and Sensas do some very nice entry level whips we'll within your budget. You don't really need to spend a shed load anyway to enjoy this method of fishing. Let us know what you go with. Enjoy!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Have a look at the Leeda concept gt whip. A nice, good value whip but I can only see it available at 3 meters on ebay at the moment.

Rare as rocking horse poo anywhere reputable at the moment. I tried to find a 4m elastic and a 4m flick tip or one of the twin tips with no joy so I’m wondering if they’ve been discontinued 🤔

Ended up getting a 4m garbolino 158 flick tip. God knows when I’ll get the chance to use it with all this rain but it came highly recommended by @OldTaff and can’t really lose at less than £15 👍🏻

Silver fan 82

Rare as rocking horse poo anywhere reputable at the moment. I tried to find a 4m elastic and a 4m flick tip or one of the twin tips with no joy so I’m wondering if they’ve been discontinued 🤔

Ended up getting a 4m garbolino 158 flick tip. God knows when I’ll get the chance to use it with all this rain but it came highly recommended by @OldTaff and can’t really lose at less than £15 👍🏻
Was looking at the 158 myself mate. Is that the one that they have in AD?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Was looking at the 158 myself mate. Is that the one that they have in AD?
Yeah that’s the one. Feels quite nice for what it is. First whip I’ve had in about 10 years and feels a bit better than the sort of whips I had as a kid so seems even at the budget end they’ve come on a bit since then.

Silver fan 82

Yeah that’s the one. Feels quite nice for what it is. First whip I’ve had in about 10 years and feels a bit better than the sort of whips I had as a kid so seems even at the budget end they’ve come on a bit since then.
I may have to invest mate! I've got a cheap 3m whip (bought it for my son but use it myself lol!). Don't want to spend mega money on a whip at the moment.
I do enjoy fishing the whip though, great fun and such a simple way to catch a few fish.

Freesolo82

can you change the Elastic to a finer one? (sorry, really know nothing about them) I think the Middy one which I have found for £25 comes with a rating of 22
You can change the elastic to any size you wish. Being a margin pole the bore of the tip will be thick but don't worry about that the elastic works better if it has room to work

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I may have to invest mate! I've got a cheap 3m whip (bought it for my son but use it myself lol!). Don't want to spend mega money on a whip at the moment.
I do enjoy fishing the whip though, great fun and such a simple way to catch a few fish.
Worth a shot I reckon 👍🏻

Not really sure what for and where I’ll use mine yet just felt like it’s something I needed in my armoury. Easy extra thing to carry with you isn’t it for fishing an extra rig. Think I’ll get an elasticated one as well at some point just to cover both bases, just not sure which one currently.

Silver fan 82

Worth a shot I reckon 👍🏻

Not really sure what for and where I’ll use mine yet just felt like it’s something I needed in my armoury. Easy extra thing to carry with you isn’t it for fishing an extra rig. Think I’ll get an elasticated one as well at some point just to cover both bases, just not sure which one currently.
Yeah totally agree mate. I usually fish the whip while fishing another rod on a feeder or ledger rig set up on a bite alarm. Keeps me busy while waiting for a bite on the other rod. I have to be doing something while I'm fishing if you know what I mean? Can't just sit not doing anything.
Does the 158 come with a stonfo fitted? Looks like it does from the picture on the AD website.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Does the 158 come with a stonfo fitted? Looks like it does from the picture on the AD website.
Yep it does. Was a bit of a necessity for me that. CBA with faffing around cutting down the tip and fitting one or whipping line on for something that I’ll only use fairly occasionally as a change option rather than a frequent main line of attack so to speak.

Silver fan 82

Yep it does. Was a bit of a necessity for me that. CBA with faffing around cutting down the tip and fitting one or whipping line on for something that I’ll only use fairly occasionally as a change option rather than a frequent main line of attack so to speak.
Same here mate. I have fitted stonfos before which is easy enough. I know some people swear by using the loop and silicone method for attaching rigs but for me a stonfo is quicker.