BRUCE AND WALKER CTM 13S

BTMS

Site Supporter
cannot find any info about this rod on their web site. Does anybody have info came with a rod bag, good condition, bought it in a charity shop

Cheers
Brian

nejohn

Site Supporter
I don't know if they did a 13'6 CTM, I have a 13' in the shed , I have seen 12 & 14 but not mid lengths. What colour is the blank? When you look down it does it look like a saturn5 rocket with 3 defined different tapers (CTM..Compound Taper Match) some pics might help

BTMS

Site Supporter
I don't know if they did a 13'6 CTM, I have a 13' in the shed , I have seen 12 & 14 but not mid lengths. What colour is the blank? When you look down it does it look like a saturn5 rocket with 3 defined different tapers (CTM..Compound Taper Match) some pics might help
definitely states 13 6 will take photos and post them

BTMS

Site Supporter
As requested pics.

Attachments

• bw4.JPG
    bw4.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 35
  • bw5.JPG
    bw5.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 35

nejohn

Site Supporter
Yes definitely a CTM I miss read the original post as 13'6 not 13S. They were a good rod in the day, I bought mine with my 1st pay packet plus a little extra so will have been late 1976 and would have cost about £40-50 which was a lot of cash back then. But compared to modern rods it will be hard work fishing all day with it I weighed mine a couple of years ago and it was about 375 grams

Simon R

Site Supporter
If it's one of the old glass rods this might come in useful

The CTM (in case you don't know) stands for compound taper match and gave the rod a different action to most of the other match rods on the market at the time - they were a bit Marmite - you either loved them or hated them - I didn't use one long enough to really form an opinion.
Decent condition ones are sought after and command a good price - second only to Hardy

Simon

Reuben

Site Supporter
My first ‘proper’ rod was a Bruce & Walker CTM 13W bought 2nd hand from JW Hoyle Fishing Tackle on Bastwell Rd, Balackburn. I had it & used it until I joined the Army in 1975. I was very proud of it too. They still fetch tidy money on EBay.
I thought the W was for waggler & the S was for stick.

michael1949

Site Supporter
I had one of the same rods in the early 70s I think it was. It was purchased as a replacement for an Abu mk6 13 ft rod that had been lost ( don’t ask, it was me being carelessly stupid).I seem to recall it was a stiffer action than the Abu, and was therefore not quite as flexible. Amongst our group of anglers at the time, these two rods seemed to be the favoured choice. Funnily enough, I still have it around here somewhere, and like yours I think it’s still got the wrapping on the handle.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Yes definitely a CTM I miss read the original post as 13'6 not 13S. They were a good rod in the day, I bought mine with my 1st pay packet plus a little extra so will have been late 1976 and would have cost about £40-50 which was a lot of cash back then. But compared to modern rods it will be hard work fishing all day with it I weighed mine a couple of years ago and it was about 375 grams
I got mine around the same time along with an abu 506 and I think it was a Mitchell 3310z reel.
All out of possibly Freeman's catalogue.

BaldiMug

My old man (because he was the local bobby in the main town up the road, also we lived in the next village for a while) used to visit them for a cuppa and a chat, so he could talk all thing "policing & security" with their business, also got to have a look around - always has balked at their prices up to this day.

He's long retired, but is still in the area, and says B&W are doing a roaring trade in the US with their fly rods, this came from USAF Upwood airbase being based in the same village as B&W (and loads in East Anglia generally) in the cold war up to the 90's, so the local US Airman would save up for a special rod before returning home after deployment.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I bought the 12ft version with Christmas money in January1969 for around £12 if I remember right. They were still being sold as B James and son back then, mine was the faster taper 12A version. It served me well for a good few years till carbon came in.

MarkW

Bennett's of Sheffield list the 13ft CTM rods in 1976 with prices of £25.40 in February which had gone up by £2 in August. There is no 13S listed but there is a 13ft Severn Special which I remember a mate of mine having. The ABU Mark 6 was £35 in Feb, £37 by August.

Dropon

Bennett's of Sheffield list the 13ft CTM rods in 1976 with prices of £25.40 in February which had gone up by £2 in August. There is no 13S listed but there is a 13ft Severn Special which I remember a mate of mine having. The ABU Mark 6 was £35 in Feb, £37 by August.
I had an ABU mark 6 , didn’t think it was that expensive but Bennett’s price I’m sure is correct .

MarkW

I had an ABU mark 6 , didn’t think it was that expensive but Bennett’s price I’m sure is correct .
Inflation was very steep in 1975/76. I'd paid full price (£20-95) for an ABU Mk 6 in June 1974 so quite a rise in two years but inflation and exchange rates both played a part.