Browning Sphere bomb rod

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I picked up a Browning Sphere 10ft bomb rod at my local postoffice yesterday. Shipped all the way from Matchman Supplies in Nottingham. It looked like a fine piece of kit, but I had to wet sand (ever so carefully) three of the four glass tips supplied with the rod. Just to make them fit properly. I have never had to do that before. The tips of all my Drennan rods have always fitted perfectly. The same goes for my one Garbolino rod and my two Shimano rods. I'm a wee bit disapointed, but I'm looking forward to land a huge roach using my new bomb rod.
Since both carbon and glass fibres (of which either may consist part of rod or tips) can suffer from negative thermal expansion and you live somewhere colder than uk plus goods have been in transit in the back of cold lorry/ship/airplane - I hope they still fit once they warm up 😯

@Total I think Harvey is already on list so not made 101? Now as for Tigger - May well qualify but may have come across elsewhere in a former life! 😀

TiggerXFM

Since both carbon and glass fibres (of which either may consist part of rod or tips) can suffer from negative thermal expansion and you live somewhere colder than uk plus goods have been in transit in the back of cold lorry/ship/airplane - I hope they still fit once they warm up 😯

@Total I think Harvey is already on list so not made 101? Now as for Tigger - May well qualify but may have come across elsewhere in a former life! 😀
Funny you should mention the expansion thing. I have found that some of my rods which have spigots can become very tight fitting at times!

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Exactly right! And if people keep accepting expensive seconds they will just keep sending them out.
Not necessarily confined to the Far wherever. A few years ago I was given a tour of the Royal Doulton Factory at Burslem, Stoke on Trent. Their quality control was two elderly partially sighted ladies in a dimly lit room. Wedgewood on the other hand was rather different. As a generalisation, I think there is a connection between price and quality control. Assembly line production techniques may have something to do with that for mass produced items

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Funny you should mention the expansion thing. I have found that some of my rods which have spigots can become very tight fitting at times!
Negative thermal expansion is real.
I have driven home from beach with a rod poking out of car sun roof during the winter in my youth!

TiggerXFM

Negative thermal expansion is real.
I have driven home from beach with a rod poking out of car sun roof during the winter in my youth!
So does carbon swell in colder or warmer months?
I'm assuming it swells in warmer weather?
Most things swell in heat, although water swells when it freezes.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
So does carbon swell in colder or warmer months?
I'm assuming it swells in warmer weather?
Most things swell in heat, although water swells when it freezes.
No, carbon expands in colder weather as can fibreglass!

JLK

No, carbon expands in colder weather as can fibreglass!
Not really true at all.
Carbon fiber has extremely low CTE (Coefficient of Thermal Expansion) which is an ideal substrate to use for temperature extremes, hot or cold.
The only thing that you might have to worry about is the resins/addtives degrading in extreme heat temperatures over time, so as long as you're not volcano fishing you should be alright.

TiggerXFM

Not really true at all.
Carbon fiber has extremely low CTE (Coefficient of Thermal Expansion) which is an ideal substrate to use for temperature extremes, hot or cold.
The only thing that you might have to worry about is the resins/addtives degrading in extreme heat temperatures over time, so as long as you're not volcano fishing you should be alright.

I'm not arguing with anyone here as I don't know anything about carbon.
Rudds explanation of the temp's causing expansion and contraction of the spigots on rods is the only reason that I can think of why they would become harder to put together, and the spigot only goes into the blank half the normal.
Next time the spigot will fit as normal ?

JLK

It all depends on what the spigot is made of I guess.
I'm not a rod builder so have no idea what manufacturers use to make spigots. I do however have high end branded match rods from the late 90's that have what appears to be compressed cork or something else encased in a carbon composite wrap of sorts for the spigots. Maybe the inner material expands or contracts slightly causing this affect?

TiggerXFM

It all depends on what the spigot is made of I guess.
I'm not a rod builder so have no idea what manufacturers use to make spigots. I do however have high end branded match rods from the late 90's that have what appears to be compressed cork or something else encased in a carbon composite wrap of sorts for the spigots. Maybe the inner material expands or contracts slightly causing this affect?
I think you'll find the cork inserts are onlysmall pieces to blank off the hole.

Total

Site Supporter
I'm not arguing with anyone here as I don't know anything about carbon.
Rudds explanation of the temp's causing expansion and contraction of the spigots on rods is the only reason that I can think of why they would become harder to put together, and the spigot only goes into the blank half the normal.
Next time the spigot will fit as normal ?
Carbon does expand and contract especially on the spigots it may only be minuscule but as you've noticed it can cause sections to jam together sometimes especially in the warmer weather....

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
In general it is the resin that has the higer positive CTE. The fiber itself has a either a lower CTE or even a negative CTE.

TiggerXFM

This is an example of the rods I sent back. It's a 14ft maver signature pro ......

Screenshot-20211023-215546-Messenger.jpg

Who in their right mind would keep a rod with a guide whipped on so far out of line with the rest?
I don't think it's overly picky to send something like that back.

I had a sphere rod with a guide much worse than that!

Total

Site Supporter
This is an example of the rods I sent back. It's a 14ft maver signature pro ......

Screenshot-20211023-215546-Messenger.jpg

Who in their right mind would keep a rod with a guide whipped on so far out of line with the rest?

For fishing around corners!:p:ROFLMAO:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter

Stop trying to suggest I've said something I haven't. I've never said that you were wrong to send anything back. I've simply said that I know that we are both far more picky than most and that you'd sent more back than just the Spheres you originally mentioned (there's still at least one other, maybe two, you had fun and games with that you've yet to mention). I gave up expecting perfection a while back, I really don't think it exists, at any price point. However, If I'd mail ordered it, I'd have sent the Maver and that really bad Sphere back too. Knowing that there are so many dodgy builds out there is the very reason I try to avoid mail ordering new rods as much as possible. It needs to be a real bargain for me to take the risk. I don't recall seeing any rod made this century that was especially close to perfect. Looking back at some of my even older rods, I guess that I wasn't as picky in the 90s. More than the odd one is fairly poor. I dare say that I had more pressing concerns back then.

The Mk2 Normarks you mentioned are about the best for ring alignment I've seen. Shame about the hint of fingerprints in the varnish that's on each one I own (and is reputed to be a common issue). Then there's UK made Daiwa rods with a tendency for dubious ring alignment, dodgy spigots and hook keepers that are so over varnished that they don't actually fold. Bar one, I've bought every Browning Sphere and Drennan Acolyte I own in person. That has meant I've got to reject the dodgy ones without leaving the shop. Some were pretty bad, but I bet someone else bought them and is using them without a care in the world. Luckily, the one I bought mail order was as good as any, but still not perfect.

TiggerXFM

At the end of the day Chris, any rods i've returned have warranted returning, I don't just return them foe the fun of it which is how your posts come across.
Regarding going into the shop to buy them, I did go into shops to buy them if they had them, or could get them in. As I said, I went into AD to pick up the daiwa rod. I also went into the same AD to check out a sphere which I declined due to several reasons. Got some of my acolytes off a local chap and the others from NWA before it was took over by AD.
Weather and river levels permitting, i'll be using a good example of a 14ft sphere waggler rod tomorrow.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
At the end of the day Chris, any rods i've returned have warranted returning, I don't just return them foe the fun of it which is how your posts come across.
I've never once tried to suggest otherwise. You are seeing something that's simply not there. We've talked about this stuff often enough on the blower. It's not like we are talking about it for the first time. I've not said you are too picky, just that we are both far more picky than the majority. You can't kid me that it's not true. I know full well that any rod you've returned I'd likely have done the same. The only difference is that I don't mail order as many brand new rods as you do so I've not had to. I got to reject the real Friday afternoon jobs in the shop.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter

I asembled the rod in my living room. 24 degrees C. I can't imagine temperature had anything to do with the tips not fitting. But now they do, and I'm serene and calm. I now have to Browning rods, the mentioned Sphere rod, and a 12 ft Jens Koschnick World Champion feeder. The latter being a gift. Both very light rods. I hope they will bring me much joy in times to come. I better stack up spare tips. Just in case.

TiggerXFM

I've never once tried to suggest otherwise. You are seeing something that's simply not there. We've talked about this stuff often enough on the blower. It's not like we are talking about it for the first time. I've not said you are too picky, just that we are both far more picky than the majority. You can't kid me that it's not true. I know full well that any rod you've returned I'd likely have done the same. The only difference is that I don't mail order as many brand new rods as you do so I've not had to. I got to reject the real Friday afternoon jobs in the shop.
Well, unless something really exciting comes on the market i've no intentions of buying any more rods from a shop or online, I think I have more than enough!
One thing I did notice about the 14ft sphere wagg rod when I set it up earlier ready for tomorrow was that when I bent it it crunched around the reel seat area. I think it's the glue or whatever it is they use to fix the handle in place maybe? I'm not worried about it in the slightest. I think it might be down to the rod having been bent quite a way round when playing barbel. If I do get out tomorrow i'll do my best to hook a barbel and see if crunches 😬.