Browning Sphere bomb rod

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I picked up a Browning Sphere 10ft bomb rod at my local postoffice yesterday. Shipped all the way from Matchman Supplies in Nottingham. It looked like a fine piece of kit, but I had to wet sand (ever so carefully) three of the four glass tips supplied with the rod. Just to make them fit properly. I have never had to do that before. The tips of all my Drennan rods have always fitted perfectly. The same goes for my one Garbolino rod and my two Shimano rods. I'm a wee bit disapointed, but I'm looking forward to land a huge roach using my new bomb rod.

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I've the 50g casting weight version, not the basic or Extra power that are currently advertised. Odd that the tips required sanding - shouldn't be the case. Tight lines and I think that rod will handle more than a few specimen roach. The one I've got has landed double figure carp. In many ways the Sphere Bomb Rod is the best rod I have ever bought even though the advertised optimum casting distance is 30 metres - In addition to bomb work I've also been using mine with light method feeders! Stunning results and a great action!

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
Let matchmansupplies know that the tips didnt fit, you should not have had to sand them.

You're probably right. Tim Aplin would do everything within his powers to sort it out. But I had everything I needed to fix the problem. In the basement. It didn't take more than a few minutes to put it right.

The way I see it, Browning is probably a wee bit short in the quality control department.

I have fitted the rod with a small match reel, a Daiwa 16 TDX 2506. This setup will give me much pleasure in the years to come.

TiggerXFM

You're probably right. Tim Aplin would do everything within his powers to sort it out. But I had everything I needed to fix the problem. In the basement. It didn't take more than a few minutes to put it right.

The way I see it, Browning is probably a wee bit short in the quality control department.

I have fitted the rod with a small match reel, a Daiwa 16 TDX 2506. This setup will give me much pleasure in the years to come.
Every company i've dealt with over the last few years bar drennan have poor quality control.

nutmeg

Site Supporter

It is probably a good idea just to let Tim Aplin know of the issue, it might save somebody else having the hassle of sanding the tips down, or returning the rod.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I've bought a number of spare tips for both my Sphere and Black Viper rods. I do notice that they are quite a bit cheaper than others I could name, but there is no doubt about the quality of my Sphere rods and rings which imo is reflected in the price. Are Browning's tip prices a reflection of their attempt to rein back a little on overall rod price? Browning are the only ones who could (if they chose to) answer that question

TiggerXFM

I've bought a number of spare tips for both my Sphere and Black Viper rods. I do notice that they are quite a bit cheaper than others I could name, but there is no doubt about the quality of my Sphere rods and rings which imo is reflected in the price. Are Browning's tip prices a reflection of their attempt to rein back a little on overall rod price? Browning are the only ones who could (if they chose to) answer that question
I haven't got the tip rods but do have a few of the sphere waggler and spliced tip rods. I had to send several back for various faults which was a pain in the harris!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I haven't got the tip rods but do have a few of the sphere waggler and spliced tip rods. I had to send several back for various faults which was a pain in the harris!
My thoughts on the Sphere tips are the ones along the line of why so cheap when the rod's composition itself seems a so much better grade of quality? Whatever, a question for another time and post. Thanks for that heads up. I was thinking about buying the spliced tip river rod as a full replacement for my old Daiwa one - now I'll be wary

TiggerXFM

My thoughts on the Sphere tips are the ones along the line of why so cheap when the rod's composition itself seems a so much better grade of quality? Whatever, a question for another time and post. Thanks for that heads up. I was thinking about buying the spliced tip river rod as a full replacement for my old Daiwa one - now I'll be wary
I'm not slagging a good example of the rods off, just saying i've had some rods with faults, as an example, the bottom guide being way out of line with the handle.
The rods which have been put together correctly are very good, don't let me put you off getting one!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
What TiggerXFM hasn't mentioned is that he's as fussy as hell. Browning is certainly not the only brand he's sent back to retailers.
I'm almost as fussy. However, many of my purchases have been made in person. I get to sift out the very worst I see. In my experience, It's very rare to see perfect ring alignment from any brand, including custom builds. The best I've encountered aren't perfect, just minimally misaligned. I doubt most people care that much. Many don't even seem to notice.

I've seen misaligned rings, reel seats and graphics (not that the latter really matters) on rods from any brand you care to mention. It doesn't seem to be price related. I've seen such things on rods from £30 to £500.

TiggerXFM

When a guide is whipped on half way round the blank, or the tip section points out at a sever angle I don't think sending it back is being overly picky Chris.
As an example of the rods i've not wanted (not a sphere), the manager in a AD ordered in a rod for me to go and look at. We got the rod out of the bag and put it together. I looked down the rod and handed the rod to the manager and asked him if he thought the rod was all good "it's bent"! he said. He was very annoyed about being sent a rod with a tip that pointed away from the joint at quite a sever angle.
He appolagised saying that he wouldn't want the rod as he crammed it back into it's bag. He ordered another and had it in the shop for me the next day. The tip section was fine on this rod and I bought it.

No way am I going to spend money on an item which is defective. As you know I have a sphere rod here which has the bottom guide whipped on at least quarter of an inch out of line from the handle.
If you put the sections together and line all the guides up, then put the reel on and hold the rod with the reel hanging vertically, the whole rod is slanting away from your reel, not good.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
When a guide is whipped on half way round the blank, or the tip section points out at a sever angle I don't think sending it back is being overly picky Chris.
Not at all, but you will send rods back for far less than that. You know damned well that I'm only fractionally less picky, I'm not insulting you. As I've said, I've never seen a rod, of any brand/price, that I consider perfect. I don't believe perfect build quality actually exists. However, I've tended to buy in person where possible rather than mail ordering. I usually end up settling for the least bad example. I'd rather drive a hundred miles or so to a shop than mail order. You prefer to stay at home and send a duffer back.

The real issue here is that your posts make it sound like you've only had an issue with Browning Spheres. We both know that isn't the case. You've sent rods from at least three other brands (it may be more) back in the last few years. I doubt that 90% of anglers would even pick up on the niggles that we often talk about.

TiggerXFM

If a rod (or anything else) isn't as it should be then I don't want it, simple as that.
I don't think my post make it sound like i've only had issues with browning at all, I did put in brackets (not sphere) about the rod I was buying from AD, which was infact a daiwa dave harrell tournament.
The brands of rod i've had issues with are browning, daiwa and one maver signiture pro rod bought very cheap online which had a guide whipped on completely out of line with the rest. Someone had even tried to bend the guide to make it look like it lined up!
I ain't picky, I just want what I buy to be as it is meant to be. I don't want to pay top money for seconds, or worse!
I won't settle for the best of a bad bunch either, i'd rather not have the item at all.
Never had any issues with my hardy marksman rods or my drennan rods, normark rods etc etc. Others may have had issues with them, but I haven't, so i'm very happy with them.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
Quality control?
Made in Far each - massed produced rod lines where a clients various models are churned off same machines.
One models run finishes, next one starts.
Packaged straight away, in to a container, shipped halfway round world.
Unloaded staright into DC then delivery vans.
Onto shops shelves or own DC for the internet suppliers.
Doubt many get looked at 😐

TiggerXFM

Quality control?
Made in Far each - massed produced rod lines where a clients various models are churned off same machines.
One models run finishes, next one starts.
Packaged straight away, in to a container, shipped halfway round world.
Unloaded staright into DC then delivery vans.
Onto shops shelves or own DC for the internet suppliers.
Doubt many get looked at 😐
Exactly right! And if people keep accepting expensive seconds they will just keep sending them out.