brown sauce

jimbo1946

Forget for a moment Chinese bat flu.There is another crisis facing our nation.I firmly believe they have changed the recipe for HP Brown sauce!! Just opened a bottle purchased yesterday from Tesco's.Shock horror.The consistency had gone from thick and gloopy to thin and almost runny.Likewise the colour has changed from dark brown and luscious to a lighter more caramel sort of hue.Flavour is more fruity without the HP bite.This is Not the brown sauce that won two world wars and put the Great in Britain
Anyone else noticed? Over to you Mr Zero

H T B

Site Supporter
All went down hill when it changed from glass bottles!

Total

Site Supporter
Forget for a moment Chinese bat flu.There is another crisis facing our nation.I firmly believe they have changed the recipe for HP Brown sauce!! Just opened a bottle purchased yesterday from Tesco's.Shock horror.The consistency had gone from thick and gloopy to thin and almost runny.Likewise the colour has changed from dark brown and luscious to a lighter more caramel sort of hue.Flavour is more fruity without the HP bite.This is Not the brown sauce that won two world wars and put the Great in Britain

Tried shaking the new bottle first?;)

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well, the threat of Coronavirus has'nt kept Ukzero1 in but, this new development might. He will be guarding his new old stock. 😆

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

The only way to test that theory is to put it at the side of a 'good' bottle. Another way is to look at the ingredients against the good and yukky bottle. I haven't noticed any difference, but then, I buy mine from the same store. The bottle I have open at the moment is still the same taste/colour/texture. You could have course picked up the wrong bottle, meaning you picked up the fruity and not the spicy. It could also be the makers fault by putting the wrong sauce in the bottle.
You could take it back of course with the complaint that it's not fit for purpose (ie. it tastes funny). Have you checked the 'sell by' or 'use by' date?

jimbo1946

The only way to test that theory is to put it at the side of a 'good' bottle. Another way is to look at the ingredients against the good and yukky bottle. I haven't noticed any difference, but then, I buy mine from the same store. The bottle I have open at the moment is still the same taste/colour/texture. You could have course picked up the wrong bottle, meaning you picked up the fruity and not the spicy. It could also be the makers fault by putting the wrong sauce in the bottle.
You could take it back of course with the complaint that it's not fit for purpose (ie. it tastes funny). Have you checked the 'sell by' or 'use by' date?
Just checked.It's not fruity it is original.Had earlier made a teacake with lots of thick cut Wiltshire smoked bacon.Added lots of said sauce,and bit in.The feeling was hard to describe .Like losing a match winning fish at the net as the all out sounds is close.A thing like that can scar a man.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Just checked.It's not fruity it is original.Had earlier made a teacake with lots of thick cut Wiltshire smoked bacon.Added lots of said sauce,and bit in.The feeling was hard to describe .Like losing a match winning fish at the net as the all out sounds is close.A thing like that can scar a man.

Seriously, if it tastes that bad I would return it. Maybe a faulty batch? It could also depend on they they used to smoke the bacon that gives the sauce a different taste. I don't eat smoked bacon myself.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Jimbo, I hope you do not mind me hijacking your thread but here is a tale of woe. Many moons ago I bit into a ham roll
and cringed, the taste was horrid and I could not think why. The bread was fresh the ham ditto but the taste was revolting.
Turned out it was the mustard made from a newly opened tin of Colemans mustard powder.

Sent said box of mustard powder back to Colemans thinking I would get some freebies or at least some vouchers along
with a letter of apology. Got a terse note telling me I had mixed it wrong and a cheque covering my expenses to the penny.

So perhaps said bottle of sauce is `dodgy` but as it tastes like shcite mixed with pig slurry with toenail clippings and a tramps
belly button fluff chucked in for good measure how does one know?