Brolly or no brolly

nejohn

Site Supporter
Not so keen on brollies since I had had a small issue last year. Bought a brolly bracket for my seat box for the first time , attached brolly , all good, got up to go for a leak , heard strange noise ,turned round, brolly in lake with seat box attached!. Managed to retrieve it all , as contents of box emptied into inside of brolly. Have since bought Preston DF waterproofs (and they are, they’ve been well tested with the weather we’ve had since)and requested NuFish sidetray with lid for birthday. Awesome piece of kit, I put a strap round it when I pack up and use the measuring bar as a carry handle, no need now for a bait bag. Have to say that casting and handling of tackle much easier, even if I am slightly less comfortable, plus potential for looking a bigger dickhead than usual taken out of the equation. Wet tackle is always a pisser, but the brolly wouldn’t keep everything dry anyway plus it always seems to pee it down just as I’m thinking of packing up anyway.
If I put my brolly up and use a brolly bracket on my box I will always make sure that the brolly is also pegged down with 2 good strong guy ropes as I have seen exactly what happened to you on 2 occasions where the guy stood up to do something and box and brolly ended up in the water. If at all possible I will put the brolly pole in the bank rather than attach it to my box (always use a replacement solid pole) but obviously this is not always possible with man made platforms etc.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
dont own a brolly and never will, will sit there and enjoy it lol

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Brolly and waterproofs for me. No point being cold, wet & miserable. Like to try and keep my holdall, carryall, bag, bait & terminal tackle dry. It’s a lot easier to dry one brolly than all my kit. Brolly is pegged down with guide rope behind, one to the left and one to the right. Put storm poles on front if it’s really windy.

squimp

Site Supporter
I carry a brolly on potentially wet days and use a basic oval with small sides at night. My normal fishing involves sitting down and waiting.....I do carry good waterproofs as well.

Ive relied (!) on a cheap 45” brolly for the last 15 years or so and finally lost patience with it this week. On Wednesday I resorted to taking the oval for a day trip which helped, but it is big and bulky and really too much for days.

Yesterday I gave in and took delivery of a 50” Korum graphite brolly which at first glance looks like a good compromise. It is bigger and stronger than the old brolly and also lighter - which suits my needs.

Time will tell.

ATTICUS FINCH

I will use a brolly if the wind is not causing problems. I don't find it hinders me when using the pole or casting a float or lead .
As some have said it is also used as a parasol when it's really beating down .

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I was right , brolly was needed. Started with the odd shower that turned into white hail for just under half an hour then back to rain. Then you can add the wind , so used two wagglers one at 15m the other down the edge where l got a nice little tinca, so a good but harsh day.

PAB

Site Supporter
been thinking about ditching mine and just using a small wind break.