Brolly or no brolly

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Very rare I fish in the rain these days so a brolly only if I have to. Last time was at Knowle Sands on a treacherous river bank because I wanted to go first day of the season when it was pouring down, so the brolly was needed just to keep a bit of muddy bank reasonably dry.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Yes mate, I use the short arm , seems to keep the brolly more stable, but I wouldn’t bother on wooden platform if it was too windy, I’d use a different method, which I put in earlier post
How come you prefer the short arm, Gaz? I've recently bought the Maver long arm because I thought it would give a bit more flexibility. I have the fittings connected to the rear right leg & the brolly pole fittings on the left so I can swing it out if needed.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
How come you prefer the short arm, Gaz? I've recently bought the Maver long arm because I thought it would give a bit more flexibility. I have the fittings connected to the rear right leg & the brolly pole fittings on the left so I can swing it out if needed.
Brolly doesn’t wobble so much

tedstriker

Site Supporter
brolly for me, i also like to try to keep as much of my tackle dry as possible, including my rig

frankg

Site Supporter
I always use short arm brolly brackets because I think the long ones impart too much leverage on the box legs in windy weather....oh, and I always use two brackets....one near the top and one near the bottom of the leg. I also screw the brolly pole into the ground for even more stability.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I always use short arm brolly brackets because I think the long ones impart too much leverage on the box legs in windy weather....oh, and I always use two brackets....one near the top and one near the bottom of the leg. I also screw the brolly pole into the ground for even more stability.
I've got the double bracket brolly arm. And yes - where possible, I screw the stick in the ground.

1613735921439.png

Philnun87

I think it is always nice to have a brolly in case but for me it is a last resort. I don’t like being hemmed in so would prefer to use a hooded side tray to protect bait etc but when it’s really chucking down nice to have a brolly even if you only put it up for part of the match

AdeB

Site Supporter
Brolly ftw just dont get off your box/chair in strong winds or its mary poppins!
Saw that happen in a club match, guy got up off his box to go for a wazz, gust of wind the lot went in! Luckily it wasn't too deep close in!

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Im a retired pleasure angler so if i get caught in bad weather nobody to blame only myself, but ive got a good brolly for emergency, always hated fishing in strong winds/ heavy rain, the technology these days for forecasting the weather is usually spot on so bad weather means im at home in front of tv.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I prefer not to use a brolly, I try not to fish in torrential rain so good waterproofs usually protect me from the odd shower. When I am fishing in the rain it’s usually accompanied with a lot of wind (not mine), and that makes a brolly more hassle than it’s worth.

That said, there’s something quite nice about being sat under a brolly, listening up the rain bounce of it, all warm and cosy. Especially in the warmer months.

topfeeder

In a match defo no brolly just me waterproofs but in a pleasure session might put brolly up if its hammering down. Just to add just the bait brolly over my bait tray.

Dean56

Site Supporter
Not so keen on brollies since I had had a small issue last year. Bought a brolly bracket for my seat box for the first time , attached brolly , all good, got up to go for a leak , heard strange noise ,turned round, brolly in lake with seat box attached!. Managed to retrieve it all , as contents of box emptied into inside of brolly. Have since bought Preston DF waterproofs (and they are, they’ve been well tested with the weather we’ve had since)and requested NuFish sidetray with lid for birthday. Awesome piece of kit, I put a strap round it when I pack up and use the measuring bar as a carry handle, no need now for a bait bag. Have to say that casting and handling of tackle much easier, even if I am slightly less comfortable, plus potential for looking a bigger dickhead than usual taken out of the equation. Wet tackle is always a pisser, but the brolly wouldn’t keep everything dry anyway plus it always seems to pee it down just as I’m thinking of packing up anyway.

matti

Site Supporter
We spend thousands to cover every eventually, to not carry a brolly as well is daft, ive used mine more for shade than anything else

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I use a long double (preston) or a short double (preston) ,i prefer longer one as i can swivel it away when the wind picks up and stop it bouncing on my back. If the wind picks up to much ,brolly down and rely on clothing and bait cover .