Brolly or no brolly

Silver fan 82

What’s everyone preference .. I got rid of mine a while ago and invested in waterproofs, got soaked a few times last season and it wasn’t pleasant .. which is making me think to again invest in a brolly 🧐
I always take mine if its forecast heavy rain but to be honest it's a pain in the arse! Heavy, a pain to carry (I don't have a barrow) and I don't like fishing with it up to be fair. But it's a decent brolly as they go. It keeps me dry and also my gear.
Oh yeah and the wind can be a pain even with the ground pegs in.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Have not used an umbrella in well over ten years. Fished in some poor conditions in that time. Just get my head down and fish ignoring the conditions.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Did manage to once rig a normal non fishing brolly into the back my coat so I could use it hands free whilst trotting. Worked quite well until I moved too much then I'd have to start over but it kept raining and being on a trip away to the stour I had nothing better to do so just kept rerigging it so I could keep on fishing. Must have looked so stupid 😂

Alantherose

Site Supporter
I bought one of the Nufish umbrellas in the autumn and have yet to use it 🤦🏻‍♂️ I think it’s been the constant presence of the young ‘un that has stopped me. I do get paranoid about sitting out in the sun all day, so the sunshade element is a winner for me as well as keeping me dry.

Tristar

Site Supporter
Never used to use a brolly, decent coat and my usual 3/4 shorts, no sense no feeling. However, getting on a bit lol and need my brolly. There's something good about hearing the rain on the brolly tapping away, far better than being at home listening to Loose Women and re runs of Bargain Hunt.

I'm trying to get my children into fishing so the brolly is an adventure to them at times in bad weather and a vital piece of kit in Summer to keep the sun off.

Reuben

Site Supporter
One of my favourite aspects of fishing is sitting down, Brollies involve me getting off my seat box.. I don't get off my seat box... For nothing!

But no, unless I pull up and it's raining, The brolly probably stays in the holdall and I rely on my B&B's.
I don’t get up off my chair when the brolly‘s up. I can cast & land a fish just fine. If it looks like rain I feed a ’brolly line’!

bricky72

Site Supporter
No brolly hate the things always in way and if gets windy start to worry if going to blow it inside out

Halkon hunt gortex all day had it 5 /6 years sat out in some horrendous rain etc and I’m dry rive large side tray with halkon hunt gortex hood on or nu fish lidded side tray once set up if pouring down hold-alls back in van to keep dry

Maverick

Site Supporter
Brolly for me every time - 50”. I don’t match fish so sitting in the wind & rain makes no sense to me. That’s why it’s called ‘pleasure fishing’.
Exactly my thoughts, and they also say the older you get the wiser you get. Stay Safe - Wash Your Hands - Wear a Mask - Protect The NHS & Get a Brolly :D

Marker50

Site Supporter
Is brolly ok on a hard platform using brolly arm ?
Short or long brolly arm ?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Is brolly ok on a hard platform using brolly arm ?
Short or long brolly arm ?
Yes mate, I use the short arm , seems to keep the brolly more stable, but I wouldn’t bother on wooden platform if it was too windy, I’d use a different method, which I put in earlier post