Brolly or no brolly

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I like to keep everything to hand on my side tray, plus all my bait open, I can’t abide everything getting drenched...so it’s either a brolly or bait brolly
Just put a coat on lol , i dont like my gear getting all wet but its something you have to put up with as a match fisherman . Hate putting it away wet.
Yeah wet gear is the worse isn’t it especially your chair and luggage as takes ages to dry and stinks 😡

I don’t really mind fishing in rain when it’s the vertical kind, provided it’s not too heavy, it’s just the almost horizontal stuff that’s horrible!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
You can’t fish effectively if you’ve had to pack everything away and put lids on everything to stop it getting soaked 🤷‍♂️
To right , the octbox side tray lid can be set up about 4in above the bait ,nice touch ,still get your hands in , i think the bait brolly is probably the best access though ,must start taking it with me

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
To right , the octbox side tray lid can be set up about 4in above the bait ,nice touch ,still get your hands in , i think the bait brolly is probably the best access though ,must start taking it with me
I’ve got a Maver lidded sidetray can set it the same , but it can be tight for space sometimes

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Can't be doing without a brolly, even if it's to keep the wind off me. Mine turned inside out & smashed just before Xmas. Had a new Daiwa N'Zon deliverred yesterday which has the repositioning point in it plus loops for pegging it down. My bait & tackle was soaked the day my brolly smashed & it was a thoroughly miserable match. I've also bought a Maver EVA bait case which nearly fills my side tray & will keep everything dry.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm with the brolly brigade. Not only keeps the rain off, but can shield from those cold, biting winds.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I don't mind getting wet if I have my waterproofs on but I hate all my kit getting soaked so I often put the brolly up over my kit and sit slightly forward. Also a brolly makes both a good wind break and sunshade. I also have one of the nu fish ones with the removable centre pole, it gives you much more usable space under the brolly so makes life a little easier to carry on fishing without feeling restricted

Stewie74

Site Supporter
More than happy to sit under a brolly if I’m pleasure fishing, but in a match (not been rained on in a match yet) I think I’d just get the waterproofs on and get wet.

Can’t cast a feeder/bomb properly from under a brolly, and I’d imagine putting netted fish into a keepnet might be tricky as well.

NJ1875

Site Supporter
If it’s raining and not too windy I’ll use my brolley. I like to keep everything as dry as possible - I’ll also put the hood up on my side tray.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
My Halkon Hunt keeps me dry but the brolly will come out to keep Carryall and other assorted bits from getting swamped in a downpour or for use as a windbreak. I've got a Drennan, not the cheapest but well made.

PS, If you use a brolly, regardless of make I suggest you treat yourself to a GARDNER BROLLY POLE I can't recommend them highly enough, I've used one for over 20 years on several brollies and it's never let me down. :upthumb:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I'm going to get a brolly. I hate getting wet, and I hate my gear getting wet. To be honest, I don't go match fishing, so I won't fish on a really wet day, but down here, you always have to be prepared for a shower or ten.

R0B

Brolly all the way, but it's easy for pleasure fishing as you can pick your swim with consideration to the wind, to a certain extent. In a match drawing a peg with wind on the right shoulder or coming at you from the face would be rubbish and it would get in the way.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
I use a brolly for matches and pleasure fishing, only if I have to fish to an Island with a feeder rod do I put the brolley away.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
When using rods l take my korum day shelter for day work , bivvy for sessions.
Pole work and it's either my Brotel or a brolly, it's down to how much wind there will be.