Broken Hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polepot

Poles
I have experienced problems in the past year fishing with PR28 hooks. When I have hit into a large fish - on three occassions the hook has broken in the shank.

I had mentioned this to Prestons on their stand at the Go Fishing show but the did not seam to be concerned.

I thought no more about it untill yesterday when Richard aka The Witness also has the same happen to him.

Has anyone else experienced this problem or can the throw some light on how it may happen.

If it has any bearing on the problem Richard and I both use the matchman hook tyer.

Poles

wales.gif
Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners
fish.gif

joe32

I have used most of the preston hooks at some stage and never had a problem with them.
But did suffer similar problem with some esp hooks and spoke to drennan who make them and there view was it was more than likley that the hook had not penertrated correctly and therefore there was a lot more strain on the hook which caused it to snap.

Joe [:D] [:D]

Don't argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to there level and beat you on experience

MALC

Nick,

It could just be a bad batch..[:(]

But personaly i dont use them as they arn't strong enough IMHO for the way i fish.[;)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc, be honest an anchor is only just strong enough for the way you fish.[:D]

I ahve had problems with those hooks as well Nick. Now only tend to use Kamasan, or if pushed Drennan barbless.

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

Last edited:

TINY

Tiny
I use Kamasan Animal or B611 xstrong and have never had a problem[:D].
As for what Joe32 has said,he`s bang on the button.[;)]
Another reason would be that the hooks just aren`t made to be maulers.They are strong hooks but by no means power hooks[;)]

Andy.
Datafile3.asp

STAFFS ANGLING SUPPLIES

martin.

Account Locked
I think its only nick getting over exited that a decent fish took his bait[:D][:D][:D][:D]

nick
i hope you dont do that when you come over for the cats & grassies[:D][:D]
there just started feeding again my mate went down on night session the other night & had 5 cats & 3 grassies he said there wising up to the pellets there & he had all his on fresh squid
just let me know when you can get over for a night session & ill sort it

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile3.asp

talk fishing flip football

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Hi Polepot, I think it's probably due to the way they are finished the hardening process has probably made them brittle. I would prefer a hook to straighten first rather than snap that way you do have a bit of a chance. I tend to use a lot of Kamasans, colmics, Mustad, Tubertini, Drennan and even the American True-Turn. no problems, But Saiko "special Match" and "special Maggot" Like you they snapped on me.

catch you later, tight lines, dave....

Wormzalot

Maver Man
I use the kamasan animal barbless spades and never had one straighten or if i'm on the canal then i use B520 and they are just as good to me.

If you aint fishin you aint livin

jacko williams

'duk boy'
I USE DRENNAN size 24 barbless and kamsan size 1)(anchors) for paste and chese!! i read an article in the CF (COARSE FISHERMAN) on cheses being used as a still water bait and im trying it at cefyn mabky!! if i cant catch on it ill just eat it!

i dont know much, but what i do know isnt worth knowing!!

MALC

quote:Originally posted by jacko williams

I USE DRENNAN size 24 barbless and kamsan size 1)(anchors)

And i take it thats for SHARK Fishing.[:0][:0][;)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Malc,

Jacko is only learning. I had to take the dynamite off him on Sunday..

Geoff
Datafile3.asp

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

MALC

LOL Geoff,[;)][;)]

We all started somewhere but i'm sure with a bit more gentle guidence from UNCLE things will pan out in the end and another angler will be hooked for life.[:)][:)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.