Broken footplate

Status
Not open for further replies.

keiranrussell

my footplate has recently broken the small metal loop on the hinge of the bend snapped disconnecting one side of the plate from the box. is there anyway i can fix this before i can affor to replace it thanks

keiranrussell

can get one tommorow its like the screws that go onto the legs the the little hinge where the plate can lift up and theres a small loop of metal on the hinge holding it on and its come loose and snapped before i had a chance to try fix it

Trendy Angler

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/octoplus-fishing-seatbox-footrest-/250685918678?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL#ht_500wt_1154

That the one? If so I guess there is the screw to tighten it to the leg... then the screw next to that is for folding it up, you unscrew it, fold the footplate up and then tighten it back up? And its somewhere around here that its damaged? If I'm on the right idea let me know and I'll have a think

keiranrussell

bit fanicer than mine that [:D]
http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/Tackle2/Coarse-and-Carp-Fishing-Tackle/Fishing-Accessories/Seatbox-accessories/Dragon-Match-Universal-4-Bar-Fold-Up-Footplate/
its just like that see the little black hings where it folds upwards, the middle of the hinge has a loop of metal all the way around to keep it firmly inplace but mines got a but damaged and come off so nothing connected the footplate to the hinge

Trendy Angler

Ok mate sound, I know more about this design.

Well you could fix it permanently with a new hinge and a rivet gun, drilling out the old rivets, save you spending the dough on a new one. No good if you don't have access to the tools though.

Trying to think of a temporary fix but everything I think of is more difficult than a full repair.

The horizontal bars, the ones your rest your feet on, do they slide? Could you pull one out completely?

Trendy Angler

If you only wanted something short term (end of the month payday type job) then I've got a solution but it means that folding is going to be a bit awkward.

You need to find some strong metal, a bar or a rod or anything like that. It needs to fit inside the square part of the footplate bar, the fatter the better as long as it fits in. It also needs to be shorter than the distance between where your box leg goes, and where the first "foot bar" is..... wow that sounds retarded, just something around 3-4" will do. I'd use any old bit of scrap if it was only temporary, it don't matter too much. Even a bit of wooden broom handle would work to be honest, and would be easier to cut to the perfect length.

You'd need to take the footplate off the box, and fold the hinge open... the position it would be in if the footplate was folded up on your box.

Slide the pole (bit you rest your feet on) nearest the hinge out completely. Then slide your new bit of metal into the hollow bar of the footplate (broken hinge side obviously).

Then "close" the footplate, put it into the position it would be when footplate is down. Then you'll have to tip it so the metal slides into the gap where the hinge is. Then put the foot bar back in. The foot bar should stop the bit of metal you've got jammed in there from sliding up into the bar.

Like I said, pain in the arse folding it now, but might not be too bad in a pinch, and I guess you can always take the footplate off completely for transport.

But if I were you I'd just wear these for a few weeks...

PlatformShoes.gif

Last edited:

keiranrussell

thanks alot [:D] but can you borrow me a pair [:D] im gonna do that tommorow [:D] but look for a new one soon or possibly a new hinge i come from a family of joyners and builders im sure i can find some sort of help

Trendy Angler

If someone can get ya a rivet gun you could do a full repair that would be as strong as the original, just buy a 2 hinge from B&Q.

Just need to drill the old rivets out. You could even use a nut and bold to hold the new hinge on, but wouldn't look as smart and might come lose over time.

keiranrussell

im not about cosmetics [:D] one of my arms that i got for free is held in place with a small rest ;) but i think we alreayd have a rivet gun, so just a new small hinge will work?

Trendy Angler

Piece a pish mate, just use a drill with a small bit to carefully drill the old rivets. You probably wont have to drill all the way thru, just enough to take the head off. Take the old hinge to B&Q or whatever and try n find something similar in size, then get some rivets the right size, you might have to drill new holes to match up to the new hinge. Then rivet away, good as new (ish)

Last edited:

strat2

i snapped the front two legs off my footplate when i had my preston bad. absolute trash! gimmie a rive anyday

Status
Not open for further replies.