Broken Elastic

Stoney75

Hi all, I have had my elastic break at the Dacron twice this year and wondered if anyone one has had this problem and how I can stop it happening again.
the elastic is Preston hollo 13 less than a year old and I use a double overhand knot in the elastic.
Look forward to your help

davylad

Site Supporter
Maybe just take an inch or so off and re-connect it after a while, as it might have worn.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Hi all, I have had my elastic break at the Dacron twice this year and wondered if anyone one has had this problem and how I can stop it happening again.
the elastic is Preston hollo 13 less than a year old and I use a double overhand knot in the elastic.
Look forward to your help
Elastic is a perishable piece of kit. Needs checking for wear regularly. I wouldn't expect to get much more than 10 matches out of it.

The 2 posts above will help you get a bit longer out of it

chrisdobb

Throw away your connectors, stonfo or dacron, and just whip the elastic with a section of coated braid, terminate in a double figure eight knot, now just attach your rig behind that knot.
You will have no more problems, work like a dream.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Elastic is a perishable piece of kit. Needs checking for wear regularly. I wouldn't expect to get much more than 10 matches out of it.

The 2 posts above will help you get a bit longer out of it
10 matches? Why? Have you had it break after 11? - Expensive that if based on limited evidence? Blooming Heck !!

Stoney75

Thank you guys, after reading your replies i will be checking my elastic behind the dacron on a regular basis i would think its been in there for about 25 outings so way more than crackatoa would suggest he must Be a very rich man ( or sponsered !) and i'm not going back to stonfos just yet and anyway they still require a knot which is the weak spot.
Thanks again

Stoney75

A quick update that I think you guys might find shocking!!
I have just done a check of my elastics and remembered I had a digital microscope, the elastics all hollo most of which are this seasons at the roller puller end were fine but take a look at the dacron end o_O

Attachments

• S20210915_0005.jpg
    S20210915_0005.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 13
  • S20210915_0007.jpg
    S20210915_0007.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 13
  • S20210915_0008.jpg
    S20210915_0008.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 13
  • S20210915_0009.jpg
    S20210915_0009.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 13

davylad

Site Supporter
I'm not with you Reuben, what difference would a Stonfo make, the rot is above the connection.

richox12

i'm not going back to stonfos just yet and anyway they still require a knot which is the weak spot.
Never, ever had the knot break at the elastic connector. Ever. They are not weak spots like line. I think you're worrying about nothing

richox12

I have just done a check of my elastics and remembered I had a digital microscope, the elastics all hollo most of which are this seasons at the roller puller end were fine but take a look at the dacron end o_O
Shouldn't be a shock to anyone. That's what happens. Everyone should be checking their elastics at connector end and puller end regularly. Whether you use a Dacron or plastic connector the elastic always perishes at that end. It's in sunlight more !

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

I check my elastics every time I use them, but I don’t use dacrons, I use the knot and bead method with the line straight onto the elastic. That means you have perfect visibility of the elastic every time you attach a rig, so should never get to that state. Also means you can cut an inch off and retie the knot if necessary.

davylad

Site Supporter
I too use the knot and bead method on some kits, and never had any issues. Like you say we should always check, and alter it if need be. From time to time I found with Stonfos, it's very easy for them to become tangled without noticing it, until the elastic doesn't come out and you lose a fish or worse.

chris1967

Site Supporter
thats nothing to do with the connector bud ,i'd say it's where youve had your top kit with rig attached sat on the side of your box ,even though you may not have the rig full stretch down the top two placing hook in bottom ,i'd say you may have had that tiny bit kicking over and the sunlight has degraded it .

Stoney75

thats nothing to do with the connector bud ,i'd say it's where youve had your top kit with rig attached sat on the side of your box ,even though you may not have the rig full stretch down the top two placing hook in bottom ,i'd say you may have had that tiny bit kicking over and the sunlight has degraded it .
I believe your right Chris I do use hookups but still have some elastic on show, the amazing Thing is the green one which is nearly worn through caught me 134lb of carp on Sunday ! Time to retire my elastics may change to slip from hollo? but that’s a whole new dilemma

chris1967

Site Supporter
i also have had elastic snap usin the matix connectors ,but never had any problems using these of ebay

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 4