Broadband speeds

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
one for the more techy minded than me

is 8.3mbps downloading about right

and 0.7mbps uploading okay

would you be happy with this from your provider ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@mickthechippy

My provider is Plusnet and before upgrading to a better package (same provider) I was getting 38 up 10 down. Now it's 68 up and 20 down. There are too many factors in play to get a constant speed continually that's why they advertise average speeds.

What did they tell you to expect when you signed up?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
apparently after a check, I have a linespeed of 10mb

with an estimated speed of 6 to 12mb's ????

Im not really sure what that means

it says I may need an updated latest model router ?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Where we live we get 1Mbps through our landline. Gave up on it and got a funny little dish arrangement instead. We now get 10 down and 1 up. That’s about as good as it gets around here.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
If you don’t have fibre that’s as good as you are going to get Mick.

Total

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy

My provider is Plusnet and before upgrading to a better package (same provider) I was getting 38 up 10 down. Now it's 68 up and 20 down. There are too many factors in play to get a constant speed continually that's why they advertise average speeds.

What did they tell you to expect when you signed up?

^^ That's unusual Peter. :unsure: Download speed are usually faster than upload speeds.....

ukzero1

Site Supporter
apparently after a check, I have a linespeed of 10mb

with an estimated speed of 6 to 12mb's ????

Im not really sure what that means

it says I may need an updated latest model router ?

6 to 12 and your at 8 which is in the middle (ish). I very much doubt a new router will solve it.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
^^ That's unusual Peter. :unsure: Download speed are usually faster than upload speeds.....

ooops, I put them the wrong way round...I need more coffee. Should be 68 down and 20 up.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I only get 12 - 14 down and that is good enough to stream to my talktalk box and stream a film on my computer and the wife can use her laptop without buffering at the same time.

Virgin Media have just installed cables all through our village but have ignored the complex of bungalows where we live. Complaints have been lodged with Virgin Media about it. Perhaps they think because pensioners live in the bungalows we do not use the internet.

Last edited:

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
dunno about fibre ?? I presume that the internet on the telephone line into the house is down copper cores, this property doesnt have the fibre TV availability
Mick contact your supplier, they will advise you if a higher speed is available in your area.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
dunno about fibre ?? I presume that the internet on the telephone line into the house is down copper cores, this property doesnt have the fibre TV availability

O.K. You can use this to check. Type in your postcode and your provider and it'll tell you...

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
If you have BT fibre (or anybody else apart from Virgin) it goes from the exchange to the green box in your street. The last few yards are just copper cable (usually your original line).

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
If you have BT fibre (or anybody else apart from Virgin) it goes from the exchange to the green box in your street. The last few yards are just copper cable (usually your original line).

Ive got a talktalk package and the green box is about 30 yard away, the cable into my house was BT before I signed up for TT about 10 years ago ?

Total

Site Supporter
@Geoff P .......It's frustratingly similar to here mate.:(.....We live in a cul-de-sac.....Main road 150 yards away has fibre optic cable and we are stuck with the old telephone line cables....

Reason given for not installing them down our road was "local disruption and access...." :(

Banded_Nipple

Yes, also known as FTTC (fibre to the cabinet)

Upto 80mbps can be acheived with copper cable.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive had a butchers on the link pete provided and it seems that theres loadsa company's doing fibre broadband local at better prices than my talk talk package,

just gonna have a chat with talk talk to see what I could wangle as regards a faster and better deal (im out of contract, just on rolling monthly payments)